BC Boards

Linc on Sheep - Second Time

We took Linc out for a spin today at Robin's - his second time on sheep. He's barely four months old - and a lot of fun. He's only my second pup, so forgive the young handler goofs. :rolleyes:

What makes this super cool is listening to Robin in the background. After watching it and listening I itch to go back and do some things differently.

Hey Laura, It took me some time to get the whole 4 mins to load on my slow a** dial up, glad it was worth the wait. He looked like he was having a blast, and showing some really nice stuff out there. He sure is getting big. Last time I saw him he was barely an arm load, now, he looks like he's more than a handful!

Sorry 'bout that Darci - danged evil dialup. Glad it was worth the wait though. :D Gosh, he certainly is an armful, but you should see Bart!!! If Linc's an armful then Bart is TWO armfuls. :rolleyes: Just this past week or so it's like his legs have grown a ton - and his coat is starting to look a little raggedy as he's losing the puppy fluff and getting his big dog hairs. AND he's teething.

Oh the joys of puppyhood! My pyr pup has decided that since we have had all this lovely rain, that the dirt out in the pasture is so nice and cool, that its fun to go around digging little craters and great big excavations in my working feild. When your walking backwards, they can be quite a rude awakining! He too is just loosing all his puppy coat, and his body is pretty much done, but his head is still covered with fuzzy downey hair, looks pretty funny!

Hi Laura,

That was so much fun to watch. Looks like you both were enjoying it. He really does look like his legs are growing now.

Tess is still ALL legs, very little hair and not much slow down either. We're lambing now so I sent her to stay with a friend of mine for the next month since I just won't have time to play with her much right now. Not to mention all she wants to do is work everything that moves.

We started lambing on Friday and as of this morning have 30 ewes done so if they keep up this pace she ought to be back in no time.

Yes, Linc is an armful. A nice, light on his feet, agile armload. And Bart is a truckload. 28 pounds. 28 freaking pounds! Nothing will be knocking him over, i can tell you that. Think football lineman. He's a wonder on sheep though. You should see his outrun!

Yes, Linc is an armful. A nice, light on his feet, agile armload. And Bart is a truckload. 28 pounds. 28 freaking pounds! Nothing will be knocking him over, i can tell you that. Think football lineman. He's a wonder on sheep though. You should see his outrun!

What I meant was it looked like Laura was dancing with the sheep and Linc and once she learned to tango vs. line dance, Linc fell into step quite nicely.

It will be interesting to see how they are as far as heat tolerance goes. Gel is not terribly heat tolerant. So far, Fern seems okay.

I was pretty much in his way in the beginning. A good bit of bumbling around certainly, but I acknowlege that there's much I still have to learn about this - and I'm open and grateful for Robin's tutelage. This is only the second dog I've started out as a pup, so there's a definite learning curve thing. :rolleyes:

And yes, nothing is getting past Bart. He's a little tank - and just as adorable as he can be. Linc certainly is about some legs right now for sure.

I was pretty much in his way in the beginning. A good bit of bumbling around certainly, but I acknowlege that there's much I still have to learn about this - and I'm open and grateful for Robin's tutelage. This is only the second dog I've started out as a pup, so there's a definite learning curve thing. :rolleyes:

And yes, nothing is getting past Bart. He's a little tank - and just as adorable as he can be. Linc certainly is about some legs right now for sure.

I've been doing this for only a couple of years now and I still feel awkward more times than not. I am pretty comfortable working with Gel, but when I put Fern behind the wheel, it's peddle to the metal and all those days of getting sheep run up over me come back in too vivid clarity.

I wish you lots of luck with that black dog. Black dogs rock!

What fun! It was really neat to hear Robin explain how to use the sheep to turn Linc - or "suggest" to Linc that he switch directions.

It's wonderful to see a pup that you can do that with, too - it's something that doesn't make sense to a dog that lacks that instinctive feel.

Hooray for great breeding, and terrific instructors, and handlers who are nice enough to share their experiences with us.

It is neat to hear Robin. That was the deciding factor for me posting it (yeah, I'd rather not embarrass myself) - I felt like it was very valuable.

I could understand intellectually what she wanted me to do, but the actual doing of it (as you all could see) took some doing to get my body to cooperate. But now that I've rolled it all around (and sat here at the computer screaming at myself - WHAT ARE YOU DOING BLOCKING HIM THERE?!?!?!) I suspect next time out won't be quite so shaky (for either of us). But, he's four months old so I probably won't bring him back out for quite a while. So I'll have lots of time to think about things.

That was pretty terrific! Another testament to good breeding. But, who is that skinny woman and what has she done with Laura? Looking good!

And I can see that is one high-class training facility - there's a portapotty in the small pen. That would be wonderful for us women of a certain age who don't like to be too far from our "rest" rooms.

I envy you NC ladies with your being somewhat close to each other and sharing such great comraderie. What a wonderful bunch!

Thanks for sharing!

And I can see that is one high-class training facility - there's a portapotty in the small pen. That would be wonderful for us women of a certain age who don't like to be too far from our "rest" rooms.

I envy you NC ladies with your being somewhat close to each other and sharing such great comraderie. What a wonderful bunch!

Thanks for sharing!

That portapotty sure beats the old facilities - the nearest big pine tree! :rolleyes:

It's really nice having a bunch of folks close. There are 2 other farms with sheep and border collie people within seeing distance of my place. Peggy is close enough to walk over, Colin is 10 minutes away. Add in all the gang within 1.5 hours and it's quite the nice gang of folks.

I just saw this (don't know how I missed it for so long). Linc looks great, Laura. It is pretty neat how Robin was able to direct your movements to get him to cover and switch directions. I look forward to hearing about his progress as he grows up (and hopefully seeing more video as well!).

Laura,

I had to fire up my laptop so I could watch the video with sound. I think you did awesome. Heck, I still feel awkward getting in the pen with a youngster, so no need to apologize for any missteps--we all make them! Little (not so little) Linc is looking good! You must've been walking on air when you were done!

I, too, liked being able to hear Robin's comments. You get so much more out of these videos when people like Denise or Robin explain what's going or give pointers to the person working the dog. I hope y'all will post more!

J.