BC Boards

Missy Lost Her Battle Today.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers; and thanks to those who PM'd me as well. It was heartwarming to know that there were so many who had come to know Missy over the years and loved her. I want to express a special thanks to "bc friend", who through her PM's over the last several months regularly checked on Missy's status and let me know she was thinking about us. And showing that what goes around does indeed comes around, I received a very special PM from Baby's Dad, whose eulogy I plagiarized for my tribute; he sent me an adapted poem by Nora M. Holland that I thought I would share with you, one that (in various forms) I have used to comfort others, and which now in turn brings me comfort as well:

High up in the courts of Heaven today

A little dog-angel waits.

With the other dogs she will not play,

But she sits alone at the Gates.

”For I know my master will come”, says she,

”And when he comes, he will call for me.”

And her Master far down on the earth below,

As he sits in his easy chair

Forgets sometimes, and he whistles low

For the dog that is not there;

And the little dog-angel cocks her ears

And dreams that her Master's call she hears.

And I know when at length her Master waits

Outside in the dark and cold

For the hand of Death to open the gates

That lead to the Courts of Gold,

The little dog-angel's eager bark

Will comfort his soul while he's still in the dark.

Postscript: Poor Annie wanders around the house, looking sadly for Missy (sometimes with their favorite tug-of-war toy in her mouth), and coming to us for comfort, as if she knows that her sister is gone from our lives (but not our hearts); her poignant grieving does not make our own mourning any easier…

I am so sorry for your loss of dear Missy, she sounds like a one in a million gal. My heart goes out to you and yours. Give Annie a big hug... when we had to put our old guy Spencer down, our vet came to the house. Our little muttley Gussy just adored her big brother, and she just sat a few feet from him, with her eyes closed (we have never seen her do that before or since) as the vet gave the shot.... as if she was giving him support and farewell as none of us humans could... she grieved for months and months. Hugs to you all.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers; and thanks to those who PM'd me as well. It was heartwarming to know that there were so many who had come to know Missy over the years and loved her. I want to express a special thanks to "bc friend", who through her PM's over the last severla months regularly checked on Missy's status and let me know she was thinking about us. And showing that what goes around does indeed comes around, I received a very special PM from Baby's Dad, whose eulogy I plagiarized for my tribute; he sent me an adapted poem by Nora M. Holland that I thought I would share with you, one that (in various forms) I have used to comfort others, and which now in turn brings me comfort as well:

High up in the courts of Heaven today

A little dog-angel waits.

With the other dogs she will not play,

But she sits alone at the Gates.

”For I know my master will come”, says she,

”And when he comes, he will call for me.”

And her Master far down on the earth below,

As he sits in his easy chair

Forgets sometimes, and he whistles low

For the dog that is not there;

And the little dog-angel cocks her ears

And dreams that her Master's call she hears.

And I know when at length her Master waits

Outside in the dark and cold

For the hand of Death to open the gates

That lead to the Courts of Gold,

The little dog-angel's eager bark

Will comfort his soul while he's still in the dark.

Postscript: Poor Annie wanders around the house, looking sadly for Missy (sometimes with their favorite tug-of-war toy in her mouth), and coming to us for comfort, as if she knows that her sister is gone from our lives (but not our hearts); her poignant grieving does not make our own mourning any easier…

That is very nicely written. It brought up memories from last month. But brought comfort also. I hope that in some way you can find peace in Missy's passing. It is never easy to lose a dog that you are so close to.

I am so so sorry for your loss. I wish I could just come over and give you a hug. My wife just handed me some lost photos this evening that she found of my late Skyler who passed away last year. It sent me into a sob today myself - and he was my heart dog too. There is nothing that can fill that void....nothing. The only thing that eased my pain was knowing that he knew exactly how much I loved him - he was my world and I told him so every single day. I am so sorry.

I'm so very sorry that Missy has had to leave you to go on ahead.

Suzanne

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."

"The Once Again Prince" by Irving Townsend