BC Boards

names for male pup

'K folks, I have narrowed my pool down to: Ross, Max, Mac, Jack, and Hemi. This will be a sheepdog, so I need to by cognizant of names that don't rhyme with typical sheepdog verbiage, as well as sounding like my other dogs.... Any opinions? If you hate them all, please let me know what you think WOULD be good :rolleyes:

Im not into people names for dogs, despite the fact two of mine have them Meg and Riley. I like unusual names, have run across only one other Ashe, and no other Whim's. I like Hemi if he's a rough coat with bone, ummmm Ross would be a second but I would want to see a picture first to give other suggestions

While you have identified many good names, I would tend to go with Mac if you are going to be herding. You need to be heard (no pun intended), and you want a name that your voice will project forcefully; a single-syllable name is also easier to pronounce and project. The name Mac can be said loudly and crisply, and will carry well. Of course, the best way to choose is to practice which one carries best when you call it.

I had a Hemi once, it was short for hemroid. Her real name was Cass, but after she was wormed as a pup, she developed hemroids for a few days, ( note,... what I learned from Cass's hemroids. It isnt a prolapsed anus, ( no matter how much they poop in 3 days ) and if you mention that to a vet, while worried about your pup, they will, and I repeat, will laugh!) hence the nickname Hemi. Though we quite calling her that after awhile, there were times throughout her puppyhood that we did revert back to it on occation when addressing her. We also had a Mac too. We called him The Mac Attack! Ross reminds me of that googy guy on Friends, but Jack, now thats a good solid name. Ive known a many a good dog named Jack. My rams name is Jack, (but we wont need to divulge on here the why to that one) And if ya ever get him to a Jack Knox clinic, you can tell Jack ya named the dog after him!

Darci, you are too funny!!

I like all those names. Be warned that Max is the number one most popular dog name in the USA.

This list is from petplace.com where there's an article with more detail than you'd ever want on pet names!

Top 30 Male Dog Names

1. MAX

2. BUDDY

3. JAKE

4. ROCKY

5. BAILEY

6. BUSTER

7. CODY

8. CHARLIE

9. BEAR

10. JACK

11. TOBY

12. DUKE

13. LUCKY

14. SAM

15. HARLEY

16. SHADOW

17. RUSTY

18. MURPHY

19. SAMMY

20. ZEUS

21. RILEY

22. OSCAR

23. WINSTON

24. CASEY

25. TUCKER

26. TEDDY

27. GIZMO

28. SAMSON

29. OLIVER

30. BANDIT

Hmmmm. Well, Darci, I think you have sullied "Hemi" for me forever!!!! :rolleyes: I am really leaning toward Jack, because it has a strong feel to it. The funny thing, is that Lucy's breeder's name (the wife) is Lucy, and her hubby is named....

JACK! I am sure she will think me daft. This pup isn't coming from her though..

In order of manliness to suit a Superdog from least to numero uno. Ross- Not a good choice. Wasn't Ross the kind of weany guy on Friends. Jack- Thats getting there. Like Jack Ryan from the movies. He was tough and kicked butt. Mac- Strong name but maybe better for a bulldog. Max- Mad Max. Now that is a he-man name. I like that. Nobody messed with Mad Max and got away with it. Hemi- Definetly the best. This was the strongest motor from the muscle car era. Still used today in funny car and top fuel racing, 6000+ horsepower. Yeahhhh. Chrysler is riding high today by bringing it back in a smaller form. Could also double as hemroid because these guys are a pain. :rolleyes:

Jack :rolleyes:

I like it because it gets their attention quick and it's easy to say when your cold and your mouth is chattering. "jjjjack"

• 4 weeks later...

So have you gotten him yet?

Spelling is important to me because I'm pretty visual. I tend to see the name when I say it. Of your choices, I'd go with and spell it this way: Jak. There's a Jak on the boards here, and I've always liked his name and his antics :rolleyes: It also makes it less human-name which I tend to avoid as dog names nowadays.

There was a concern about registration, so I don't know if he has a registered name yet, but I am going to wait until I see him. I had a very bad dream the other night- I dreamed I got to the airport, and when they got him out of the crate for me (don't know why they would do that), he was a cream coloured German Shepherd with a mean growl. I asked where my Kelpie was- they said they had one in the back.... God know WHAT that dream means!

He should come sometime the second week of June- we have the clinic on the 6, 7, 8, and I just don't think a pup, and hosting a clinic work!

I had a very bad dream the other night- I dreamed I got to the airport, and when they got him out of the crate for me (don't know why they would do that), he was a cream coloured German Shepherd with a mean growl. I asked where my Kelpie was- they said they had one in the back.... God know WHAT that dream means!

:D Well, when I went to pick up my now 10 yr old Border Collie at the airport I handed them a slip of paper from the airline saying I was picking up a red and white Border Collie puppy. They handed me a crate with a liver Springer Spaniel :rolleyes: I handed it back and told them to look again. I could hear a puppy SCREAMING while I waited, it echoed all through the huge building. One of the employees looked at the slip again and said, "Oh thank God, it's THAT one!" They gave me the crate with the screaming pup, who was indeed a red and white Border Collie. I'll never regret getting Flyboy because he is such a hard working, loyal sheepdog, but I almost killed him that first 6 months I had him (howled all night long).

Goodo luck with the new beast. :D

If this is going to be a sheepdog, then you need a name that can be spoken sharply and will carry a good distance. Practice each, perhaps with another person standing some distance away, and see which one carries best; I think you will find "Jack" to be most effective, but you are the one who has to make the final choice. ("Jock" is another possible variant.)