BC Boards

Good Frisbees?

Does anyone know where I can get some good Frisbees for my BC Cisco. I have several good ones I got at Walmart several years ago, since then they changed manufacturers and now all they have are cheap ones that he bites through in minutes. I know they make the Nylebone (?sp) kind, but they are pretty expensive (around $10.00 each). You know the good kind they used to make all of the time 20-30 years ago like Hasbro used to make. I don't mind paying $2-3 for one, but I like to have several on hand and it is hard to tell which ones are tough over the Internet. Where do the people get the ones they use at the Frisbee throwing competitions that are around? If anyone can let me know where they get the ones they like to use would really help!! Thanks in advance! :

If you don't care what they look like you can get blemished fastbacks (one of the kinds you can use at disc dog competitions) at www.dtworld.com. They're somewhere around $1.50 I believe but it's been a little bit since I've had to restock! :rolleyes:

Or www.herodiscusa.com - I believe those are a teensy more expensive but not by much.

And you don't have to get the blemished ones. I usually do because they're cheaper and they're for practicing anyway.

I love the Jawz Hyperflites and Kongs. The Hyperflites are almost indestructable. I have one that I think got run over by a lawnmower. I don't know what else could have cut it. I still use it. The only problem I have is that Rugers gums will get cut if I throw them too much for him. Every now and then I will clean the edges up with sand paper.

The Kongs are not as durable but they are much easier on the gums. They are more difficult to skip off the ground but I don't care. Ruger can catch a thousand Kongs in a day and not come up bleeding. They are also heavy and more wind resistant. I once threw one of the Hyperflites for Ruger when he was maybe 15yards away. The wind caught it and it flew over the house behind us, went across the street and finally landed in someones yard. I didn't think it would ever stop going.

By the way, Ruger knows which frisbees are the Kongs and which are not.

Lightning is super hard on all discs that I've tried so far. I've used cheapy plastic ones, fastback, ones with rigid centers and soft rubbery edges (they end up as hollow rings within minutes), and I finally tried a Hyperflite JAWZ. I was going to get a Kong, Chewber or Nylabone one, but was just getting into disc trials so I went with the JAWZ to try to get something as similar to a competition disc as possible. JAWZ are much tougher than anything else I've tried. Lightning is on his second one now but the first lasted him one whole season. Competition discs are chomped in one round at a trial. He won't just catch them and retrieve them to me, he MUST chomp, chomp them on the way back to me. (He doesn't just catch the disc, he kills it too) Anyone have any ideas if/how he can be taught not to be so rough on them?

cndlyn - JAWZ discs aren't exactly cheap (I paid $15-$18 each for my two), but the expense is relative. It's less expensive than buying the cheapy ones by the dozen, since they get destroyed so easily so it's money well spent to get one good one that will last a whole season (maybe more if I'm lucky).

ETA: re: where to buy discs. I'm not sure of your location but check your local disc club and they may have a link/links on their site. The CDDA has links on their site. Or you can look up the brand. Hyperflite makes several different kinds of discs besides the JAWZ and I think you can order online.

The Hyperflites are almost indestructable. I have one that I think got run over by a lawnmower. I don't know what else could have cut it.

My boy Lightning's teeth :rolleyes: He doesn't puncture them like the other discs, but he will get them in the back teeth as he's carrying them and chomp down good. Or sometimes instead of bringing them right back he'll try to lay down and chew on them and I have to quickly take them away then.

You get what you pay for. You can buy $1.00 frisbees all day long that are junk and will tear up your dogs mouth. Some of them will actually break. How much is emergency stomach surgery? Or you can pay $10.00 for a Hyperflite or a Kong. The Hyperflites that I have are about 2.5yrs old and still going strong. The Kongs will last about 8 months.

Ruger will not lie down and chew on his frisbees. If he has one in his mouth he is bringing it to me to throw it. Our Springer used to take them and chew on them. I didn't like that so I would take them away from her. She has this glo ball she plays with and chews on. That I don't mind but no chewing on Ruger's frisbees.

i love my hyperflite jaws... got 2 of them and i'm still using them after 2 years.

the printing on the dics are long gone.. but the disc despite of the wear and tear, still flies prefectly..

the normal hyperflites are good.. but kingsley's teeth chomps through them in an instant.

the flying squirrel from any good pet place or farm store it is literally indestructible flies well and is softer on the mouth

Somebody please tell that to Speedy. He can break up the plastic in one of those in minutes, and he has shredded a few!

We never let him have one unattended - this happens very quickly!

Our Nylabone frisbee, on the other hand, has survived the years with him. It even survived being lost at sea!

I can't throw a frisbee, though, so it doesn't see a whole lot of play. Still, we've gone through about 5 squirrel's in the Nylabone Frisbee's lifetime!

I have always like the Kong frisbee. Although as Sweet Ceana said, it will throw off your aim a little bit. But Black Jack has had one since I got him (his first toy ever) a year and a half ago. It's still like new. Other than some mudd, pee, poop, and other unmentionables that have been on it before. The good thing is, it cleans up well. You can't even see any teeth marks in it. Well worth the $12.99 IMO.

In my experience the Jaws are the most durable and handle decently well. If your dog has a soft mouth then go with the Fastback misprints as mentioned above and a bit of sandpaper to smooth over the edges when they get nicked. The misprint Fastbacks are $1.60 a piece (just made an order) and are my favorite disc. They fly very well in normal conditions and offer great handling. Im very leary with whatever you purchased at Walmart. I have never seen a disc suitable for dogs at any retail store. They are either far to hard or have a deep lip on them - both cause damage to the dogs mouth and some can be quite dangerous.

Here is the dog suitable disc page at Discovering The World - best place on the web hands down:

Discovering The World

I also get the misprint Fastbacks from dtworld. I have found them to be very durable and I really like the way they handle. So far,I have only bought one lot of 10 and that was 2 years ago. I still have 7 of them in the box. I also like the Old Navy frisbees. They are soft rubber and I think they are $5. They last a really long time, but don't fly as well as the Fastbacks.

tikki used to love his disc-o-dog. but only the yellow one!

This is actually a very common quirk with Border Collies. If you train for competition you have to keep them from developing this habbit. To teach a full retrieve use only one, then put that one away and use multiples at all other times - they tend to bring it back and drop it 10-15 feet in front of you when using multiples. Border Collies seem to have this need for space when you need have them work in close.

Thanks Guys, you all have given me some great info! Am going to try a couple of the suggestions. Cicso is a chomper too!! I don't let him chew on them, but after he catches them, Chomp Chomp! Maybe the weather in Kentucky will finally stay warm and dry and we can get some Frisbee throwing in! :rolleyes::D

Just an opposing point of view . . . I went through five Kong frisbees in three months! They seemed to rip after just a few uses and even though my dog didn't chew on them, the rips would just get bigger and bigger. Additionally, Kong makes two versions: the Kong Flyer and the Kong Saucer. The saucer seemed to be made of a more durable rubber, but it also had a ring of hard plastic buried inside around the outside edge. My dog would fold the frisbee in half and this ring would break in multiple places and the pointy edge would break through the rubber! (I did use them quite heavily though, and also in cold weather, which may have affected the durability).

For disc-doggin stuff, I use Hyperflite Jaws which get nicked around the edge, but have never been punctured. For fun, I now use the Ruff Dawg K-9 Flyer, which has proven MUCH more durable than the Kong, is lighter, and flies better.