BC Boards

New to Border Collies (and here)

Hi all!

I'm new here, but I know a few members from other boards, and they directed me here. I'm really new to Border Collies (getting my first pup in two weeks!!! I am SO excited!) but not new to dogs.

I used to work extensively with German Shepherds bred for Schutzhund, and I currently have a GSD from working lines, Apollo, and an Australian Shepherd/Jack Russell cross Ozzy, (oops litter from the paper) that I do a lot of work with. Ozzy is an amazing dog, but he has to much prey drive to do sheep work, but I'm considering trying him out on goose work. A few people have told me he would do well at that. Right now though, I'm working on his dog aggression on leash, and we have made a TON of progress. I am very proud of him.

Apollo was purchased as a pup for Schutzhund work, and we did that for over two years, until the politics in the club became overwhelming and I decided to quit, and retire him. Now, at five, I am regretting that, and considering trying to get back in the game with him.

I plan to work my newest member on stock (sheep and geese hopefully) and do some therapy work as well. Possibly we will try some flyball or agility as well, and maybe Competition Obedience.

I've found a few stock dog trainers, but none closer to me than an hour and a half away, so while ideally I'd like to do it two or three times a week, it looks like its going to be closer to once a week or so. I look forward to getting to know all of you as well.

Any one have tips or training advice for a new pup? I'd really love to hear from someone who knows Border Collies, and who can tell me that they aren't all crazy shadow chasing monsters! :rolleyes:

Border Collies, and who can tell me that they aren't all crazy shadow chasing monsters!

They arent. But puppy hood after the honeymoon is over will give you other descriptions to mull over.

Welcome, from one fed up with their politics competitor to another. You will not find that in the BC working world. :rolleyes:

Welcome. It sounds like your on your way to enjoying years and years with another little ball of energy. You do know that by telling us your getting a puppy you are required to post pictures :rolleyes: Do you know which pup your getting? Is it through a breeder or a rescue? How old is he? Sorry for the questions. I love puppies.

Welcome. It sounds like your on your way to enjoying years and years with another little ball of energy. You do know that by telling us your getting a puppy you are required to post pictures :D Do you know which pup your getting? Is it through a breeder or a rescue? How old is he? Sorry for the questions. I love puppies.

Hahaha, I'm well aquainted with what it takes to keep picture hungry forums satisfied. :rolleyes:

I'm purchasing my puppy from a breeder, her name is probably going to be Rook, and I do know which pup I'm getting. We're driving up in about ten or eleven days to pick her up from VA. She'll be eight weeks old and some change. She's a black and white (hopefully, and its looking like it) rough coated pup. She isn't really too traditionally marked, but I love how she looks, and it doesn't matter anyway.

I honestly cannot wait!