BC Boards

Beaver...tooth removal

jrid

My dog Beaver (so named because of his significant overbite) had to have his upper canines removed 2 years ago to allow his lower canines to spread out (his uppers were pushing his lowers in). Anyway he did well with that surgery and was fine until a few months ago when I noticed a lump on his gum and he had a gray colored tooth. I took him to the vet who advised to watch it for a while longer but to bring him back if I thought it looked worse. I was looking at his mouth a few days ago and saw what I thought was food on his gum, so I rubbed my finger against it and it turned out to be bone. I was not able to get an appointment until this morning and when I took him in was told the tooth needed to come out and that the bone I felt in his gum was dead and it needed to be removed also. They did the surgery this morning and the tooth came out fine, but the dead bone broke off and a piece of it went up into what I assume is his sinus cavity. The vet told me the proper name but I can't remember it. The vet was unable to get that piece of bone out and I believe he said it was larger than the piece he was able to remove. I was told the best case scenario is that Beaver would either sneeze that piece of bone out or swallow it. I will have to take him back in a couple of weeks for an xray to see if he manages do either of those things. In the meanwhile Beaver will be on antibiotics for a couple of weeks. If he doesn't get rid of the bone naturally he will have a more invasive surgery to remove it.

Beaver and I would appreciate it if you would send sneezing thoughts his way.