BC Boards

Frisbee Fiasco

I have a 14 mo. old border collie named Bridgette, we've had her since she was about 1 mo. old. Recently we decided that we'd train her to fetch a frisbee instead of a tennis ball, but she ignores it completely. She wont even pick the frisbee up. Does the type of frisbee matter? it's a hard plastic one, I don't know if it's the texture of it she hates, or if she is just not interested. This is my first border collie, I'm still learning how to train them. They are so smart! ahhh. Anyone have any advice?

- sorry, i posted this in the wrong section, she isn't a working dog >.< I'm new here, my apologies.

I have done a small amount of frisbee play with my dogs in the past and found that harder frisbees can hurt either when they are caught and/or when they get little "points" on them from the dog's teeth. I found that a softer frisbee (fabric or softer plastic) is more encouraging for a younger or newbie dog as it's less likely to hurt.

Please remember that not all dogs enjoy the same games and toys. Your girl may just not ever be interested in a frisbee. Try rolling it on the ground initially rather than throwing it. Also make sure that it is obviously "yours" and not "hers", and use some behavior on your part that will make it more interesting and enticing (show it to her, act excited about it, put it away, and repeat over some hours or days, for example).

By the way, you might want to check out threads concerning tennis balls, if you are not aware already. The silica in the fabric on the regular tennis balls (along with the dirt and grit that the fabric accumulates) can be very wearing on teeth. If you chose to use tennis balls, use good ones that are intended for dogs and are not made with wearing material on the surface or, better yet, use balls that have no fabric covering to retain particles that will also wear teeth unnecessarily.

Best wishes, and Eileen will probably move this to the section where it belongs.

My dog Baxter does not really care for a hard frisbee. Plus it can damage their teeth. He likes soft frisbees. However, he really loves the "chuck it" flying squirrel frisbee. You can find them online at amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/Chuckit-Flying-Squir...e/dp/B000084EYF

Or at Petsmart. They come in a few different sizes and are easy to catch and to pick up off the ground. My other dog Bonnie can only play with it under supervision. She chews the rubber feet up. She will also eat a hole in a hard frisbee in less than 30 seconds. I have found that JW isqueak balls work well for her. Difficult to destroy and she loves the squeak.

Mel, Bonnie, and the Baxter.

Eileen will probably move this thread, but I buy my Frisbee's at old navy, spendy, but they are the rubber kind. They are much kinder on the teeth. I would try rolling it at first in the house and make it fun using your high squeaky voice. If you are ever going to go into competition, they will be using the hard Frisbee's so, your dog will eventually have to get used to it. But that's way down the road. Good luck and keep us posted.

Why is this a fiasco? And why is it so imperitive that she chase a frisbee? Are there not other types of play or toys that are equally enjoyable for the dog and you to play? I dont understand the frustration, or need to introduce some thing the dog obviouly has no interest in. Pick fun games she is already happy to play. Ive seen to many wrecks and injuries to dogs that do chase, leap and play frisbee. Count yourself lucky she doesnt want to play with it, and try a game of find and fetch. It'll help her use her brain more.

Alex wasn't very interested in frisbee until Jackie and I started playing with it. Now it's her passion. She doesn't like the hard frisbees. She has a couple flippy floppers from WalMart and her favorite is the flying squirrel. You can also get them at PetCo and Bass Pro.

Esox

I think I can help you out a bit on this one.

First thing to know is that you should never use "hard" plastic frisbees with your dog. There is a major difference between a competition Fastback and a disc bought at Wally World, your sporting goods store and the like. If you wish to purchase the discs the pros use then please go to dtworld.com. You can buy misprint Fastbacks and the like for WAY cheaper than you could find a crummy one in a local store and it will be right for your dog once he gets his adult teeth in.

For now, use a cloth style disc found at most pet stores. Milk teeth are very easy to break and the last thing you want is to associate the sport with pain. Get her excited by roughing her around with the disc in play and let her tug on it. The drop command will come and tug is a known way to get your dog fired up about playing. I certainly dont agree with the thought that its "forcing" your dog to play with a disc either. Its introducing her to something that she may LOVE but doesnt understand yet.

The most important thing I have learned with this sport is to start with that tennis ball ( or whatever ball you use - racket balls are great too ) Getting her to fetch consistently is key and that begins with a ball. Then get her to catch low bounces with the ball. Once that is consistent, get her to catch tosses - just not over her head!...yet :rolleyes: The key is to set her up for disc play correctly and then transition to it.

Once she is doing all of these things consistently get out the material disc. Get her fired up with it as stated earlier and play a bit of tug. When she is getting excited about it roll a few on the edge called "rollers". Let her get consistent with this just like the ball. Then slight tosses and keep the mood EXCITED! Next transition is a very mild throw.

Do all of this indoors, no other toys around and with no distractions. Next thing you know, you will toss that disc and your dog will hunt it down and catch it and bring it back for more. ALWAYS keep it at level 10 with excitement and never lower your tone when she makes a mistake or doesnt catch it.

When she loses those milk teeth you can use a plastic disc like I recommended. Search that site for all canine options. You can feed her out of a disc too which gets her familiar with it. Remember to NEVER let her have one as a toy btw. It is the "special" toy that she gets excited about and never play for more than 3-5 minutes at a time to keep her needing more.

If your dog has lots of drive for fetching a ball, these techniques will work. Chances are your BC will die for disc play and learn its a great time with you too! Here is a video of my pup at just 5.5 months old playing disc with only 4 "formal" training days of play outside. These are the techniques I used with a dog only wanting to play with a ball at first. Now, when he sees a frisbee he almost cant contain himself and starts to quiver with excitement. I didnt force him into it I just taught him something he couldnt have imagined before. I cant think of a way to have more fun with my dog and he is on his way to being a competitor. Next year he will learn vaulting (jumps off the chest, back ect..).

One more important note! Even before she loses her milk teeth you can start to transition her to a hard disc by gentle play in the house with rollers. Just do NOT toss them to her or play hard tug. Let her mouth it and get her excited about it but keep her little teeth safe until she loses them. As far as jumping goes just keep her low until 6 months and then only let the dog jump as high as she can without assistance. She can jump up to her natural ability safely and this is personal advice from the top pros in the sport who have done this with many many dogs. It will not cause issues with them if they are physically healthy with good hips and its been proven dog after dog after dog from disc dogs raised from pups to growing old without any issues whatsoever.

Me and

I think I misread her age at 14 weeks. No matter, just go as described above and it should work out fine.

Out of my 4 Border Collies I only have one that has an interest in playing frisbee. I didn't teach him, he just did it. None of my others want to play with it at all. I use the frisbee with a hole in the middle. Its softer and it seems to last forever even left in the elements. Reign chews on it and throws it around himself if I'm not there to throw it.

frisbeereign.JPG