BC Boards

What COLOR do you prefer?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yellow/tan/dilute red - whatever you want to call it. BC Museum "Tan" Border Collies. Much like...um...the little BC pup RDM had at one point that went by the name Snow White.

I love the tans too... I'd love to have a tan dog.

For me, my favorite color is red and white. R&Ws just make me go gaga...

*swoon*

DSC01232.jpg

After that... I like

Tan

Black and white

Black and white + Red and white with dark tri points... I don't like light tri points

Red merle

I love red and whites, dogs with heavy ticking, symmetry of some sort but also love the tris. I prefer prick ears too with a petite looking body.

My bc is prick eared, black and white, semi-smooth, mainly symmetrical (blaze is a little off and so are body marks), no real ticking but is petite framed.

I also have an acd that is red and blue, a borderjack the is a white/red tri, and a black poodle. I guess my dogs do somewhat match what I like but none of them have the heavy ticking that I love.

I like them all except red merles. Maybe because the only red merle bc I ever met was ugly and not a nice dog but they don't appeal to me.

I like tri's, I like b&w, I like red, I like black faces, I like white faces, I like big blazes and little blazes, and I like blue merles okay. I do like prick ears better than all the others though.

I saw, I swear, a black and tan bc at a clinic. He may have had a smidgen of white somewhere to be technically called a tri but I didn't notice it and he sure was cool looking.

I saw, I swear, a black and tan bc at a clinic. He may have had a smidgen of white somewhere to be technically called a tri but I didn't notice it and he sure was cool looking.

I bet your talking about Nick at Jack's clinic in December. He's a very cool dog! I think he is pretty much all tan and black.

I love black tris, especially with heaps of ticking.

Like this:

gusportrait.jpg

or this:

tim2Bminnie.jpg

Or black tris with minimal white (probably because they look a lot like kelpies)

Or just minimal white.

In kelpies I like any tan as dark as possible, but in collies I think I prefer lighter tan. I have no idea why.

I don't have any ticked tris at the moment, in fact I've never had a dog of my favourite colour, but I do have a few ticked dogs, and a tri. I did have a very minimally white marked collie, black and tan, ears up, looked very kelpie-like, and I'd love another one like him.

It wouldn't influence my pup choice, really, unless there were no other factors to differentiate between 2 pups. We did pick a pup a couple of years ago from a litter where she was the most unexciting looking, and I really liked her darker marked sister. But we went with the boring looker based on personality, and some friends ended up with the darker pup. Now I think they are both lovely dogs, and I'm very glad we chose the one we did.

all this talk of colour reminds me of a pretty little gal named "Trix" a lovey little Tri I met at a clinic a few years ago, she was so cool looking!

3c4363ff.jpg

oh and I never answered the question of weather my dogs reflct my prefernce... neither is syemetrical so, yes I supposed they do lol. Misty is a split face, her front legs are white exept for the side of one, where is looks almost as if some black paint spilled down the side lol. she also has a few light freckles on the top of her head. Happy has one white leg and one black one, her blaze is exeedingly narrow, and the starting point around her nose is only around one side, the other half begins dead center on top of her muzzle lol. she also has white flecking all over her face, since she was around 8 months old. oh and her white leg is freckled on one side lol.

What coat color do you prefer, if any? And why?

I don't think I have any...of course I like dogs that look like Kessie, but I'm not aware of that being strong enough to be able to influence me if I was in a dog-choosing situation. What I'll probably never be able to shake off is a love for light-coloured eyes! That goes a lot deeper than the coat colour.

Before we got Kyla, I thought I was one of those people who need symmetry, and that it would bother me to look at an asymmetrically marked dog all day. But it doesn't, actually, and I'm not ever tempted to "right" the white on her nose where it has slipped to one side!

DSCF0023kl.jpg

I do like the fact that Kessie isn't a classically marked b&w BC. She doesn't push that little button in people's heads that says "Border Collie, snazzy dog to show off with, does tricks, snarky owner...". For similar reasons, I like the fact that she isn't "candy coloured". She's just another ole mutt and that suits me fine.

If you have a preference, would it dictate your choice of dog?

Not the coat, but the eye colour might.

ETA: Huh, dictate? Posting before breakfast is not a good idea for me! The eye colour wouldn't DICTATE my choice at all. But it would maybe influence which dog I'd develop an interest in in the first place. And because life's a bitch, the quality of the dog's photograph on a rescue site might also play a role in that very first step :rolleyes:.

Does your current complement of dogs reflect this color preference?

My current complement of one dog is the most gorgeous creature on earth that isn't a real wolf...ok, a little bit of bias here. Of course she fits any preferences that I've developed, since they're all based on her.

She knows how to make use of those eye spots, that's for sure!

DSCF0035kl.jpg

My favourite coat colour is Red & White (and thats Australian ee red) because that's the colour of my best friend :rolleyes:

But if I could choose any BC in the world I would pick a Chocolate Tri Merle, and to be even more picky I'd love for that dog to have one blue eye. Lol, I'm fussy.

There's a similar dog on this site http://www.gis.net/~shepdog/BC_Museum/Perm...orRedMerle.html

It's the 3rd dog from the top, but I'd rather more traditional markings, lol.

But that being said I will never pick a dog based on colour alone. Ever.

I actually don't really like the traditional b&w unless its an unusual pattern. I love tri's (mainly b/c my pup is tri and she's just so gorgeous!). I really love all the colors, they're all unique and purdy. All else being equal, i think i'd avoid the traditional b&w and go for something unusual.