BC Boards

What COLOR do you prefer?

OK, the coat thread made me curious.

What coat color do you prefer, if any?

And why?

If you have a preference, would it dictate your choice of dog?

Does your current complement of dogs reflect this color preference?

All else being equal, I prefer a red dog. Most likely, I prefer a red dog because my favorite dog is red. There is also the fact that a red dog is easier to photograph and that I much enjoy photography. I would not pick a dog on the basis of color unless there was no other real reason to prefer one dog over another. Right now only 33.3% of my dog complement is red, so I suppose it is fairly obvious that I don't choose dogs based on color.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All things being equal (i.e., if I'm picking a pup out of a well-bred litter that has pups of every color imaginable), I'd pick a black and white split-face. LOVE the split-faces. Love. I just think they're neat. I was not a fan of any sort of tri until I got Taz. Now I love them, but since I have two black tris, I would just like something a little different next time...

Let's see, you had other questions. Definitely my preference is not reflected in my current dogs. I've always wanted a B/W split-face and haven't yet gotten one. It wouldn't dictate my choice, though. Since it worked well with the only pup I ever chose, I'd try to let the pup choose me. Sex would make a difference, too--if I were to get another dog right now, I'd opt for a female, since my two current males are not big fans of one another.

Well, I have 2 tri's and 2 blk/whts but truth be known I really love the color of a merle. But also theres a dark sable color that is really unique as well that Im rather partial too. I think Seth? has a sable colored dog on his avatar. Quite striking, though I dont think you see many here in the US.

I like black and white with alot of white and I like ticked. I like blue merle alot, but I have two merles already so I'd want something different, all else being equal. My least favorite is tri and I have no idea why, I even have a tri sheltie and I love him, it's just not my favorite color.

I like black with minimal white. I don't know why, I just always have.

Current crew: black self-merle aussie type dog, traditional black and white crazy-type dog, and split face black and white happy dog with LOTS of white.

Wouldn't let colour dictate my choice in next dog, but if there happened to be a nice jet black slickie with bat ears ... :rolleyes:

I'm pretty traditional when it comes to colour, I go weak in the knees for a traditionally marked black and white. I'm also a big fan of any unique black and white marking, but black and white is my favourite I'll say. I'm not really sure why exactly, I think it's just so "Border Collie", or maybe it has something to do with that fact that Petey is black and white. I have just always been a giant fan and in a strange way, I feel like they look very regal.

I never was before, but blue merles have caught my eye more and more. SincereArtisan if you're reading this, I have to say that beautiful little Ido may have influenced me into that decision. She's seriously so cute.

Oh, and Petey would look so wrong in any other colour but black and white. I would never pick a dog based on colour, but if all was equal I'd go with traditional black and whites.

OK, the coat thread made me curious.

I don't really have a favorite coat color, although I do tend to prefer black and white or red and white.

But whichever, I really, really like a mostly solid-colored face with just a bit of white near the nose. Just like Speedy, Sammie, and Maddie.

All things being equal, I'd love a red dog marked almost like Speedy, but red where he is black.

And why?

Because of Speedy.

It's hard to say. All things would really have to be equal for that to come into play. I have found that I look for a definitely connection with a dog before adopting. If I were going for color, I wouldn't have adopted Dean - beautiful as he is. He was the dog we connected with, so that didn't matter.

If we were looking at two dogs and one had the color pattern I like and the other did not, but the one that did not really connected with us, I would go with the one I connected with.

Yes, yes, yes, no! Speedy, Maddie, and Sammie are all mostly black with almost completely black faces and just a bit of white.

Dean is as far from that as a dog could be! Granted, he is beautiful and I love his look. And he is delightful to photograph! But that's a bonus. I chose him because he was my dog, not because of his look.

Border collies? Standard black and white for me. I just love the classic look.

Any dog? RED. I just think red dogs are so pretty. (Like Beau)

I'm also a markings kind of person. Love both my paps crooked blazes (they're almost exact opposites) and Rose's half white nose. I'm not a big fan of solid colored dogs in general.

I'm fast becoming a fan of tri's. But neither of mine are tri. I'm with Shayna, where I prefer patterns (especially on the b/w's). I think they just give a dog such an individual look and separates them from all the other black and whites out there. So, on that note, Roxy is not symmetrical in her patterning on her face and head which I love (one white ear, one black ear). But Kipp is pretty traditionally marked all-around. But he has more freckles than Rox and I like that too.

I wouldn't pick a dog purely based on color, but 50% of my crew fits into my color preference. :rolleyes:

I love the normal black and white markings, but I have a tri. So I guess it's more of the dog rather than the markings for me. But if I could have the same dog, but change his color I would go with a black and white split face. I love those markings. More black than white though. White is to hard to keep clean :rolleyes: Mainly when only one leg is white and he pees on it all of the time.

I've actually never thought too much about colour before. I know I really like heavy ticking in whatever colour (and 100% of my BC complement is heavily ticked :rolleyes:)

Looking at the BC museum, I'd have to say that my absolute favourite of all those colours is sable. I don't know that I've ever seen a sable BC in real life though. I'm not really a fan of merles. Not sure why.

If I could have a heavy freckled black tri (i.e. Zac or Ryan :rolleyes: ) that would be a preference otherwise I'm a fan of a black and white with not to heavy freckles to no freckles and almost an all black face, something about it with lighter brown eyes give the dog an intense look. Outside of Border collies I would have to say I like Sables. My dog that I have now is black and white and he has a couple freckles.

I prefer black and white. I do NOT like tri's in general. All others would be considered.

And why?

In general I like black and white as a color combination for clothing, decor, etc.

Yes. I'm very visual and I would choose my dog based on looks, then figure out if the dog was suitable. I wouldn't know if a less 'pretty' to me dog was suitable or not, because I wouldn't have bothered to inquire about it.

Yes, both my BC's are B&W.

-of note, I do not work my dogs on stock at all - which doesn't make me feel vain in any way that I choose my dogs based on looks. :rolleyes:

All other things equal I would choose a Blue Merle tri. Definitely my favourite colour and I will admit that it was probably the reason I even considered an Aussie before getting Delta. I couldn't get something other than a border collie though :rolleyes: and ended up with Delta. Obviously wasn't dictated by colour as Black and White is probably one of my least favourite colours. I absolutely love her markings though, she has a very pretty face. Preferences would probably be:

1. Blue merle tri

2. Blue merle

3. Black and white tri

4. Red and white

5. Black and white

6. Chocolate and white

7. Mostly black

I also prefer dogs with non-symetrical markings, I love split faces especially. If its not a split face I like a really wide blaze like Delta's.

I have always had and probably will prefer the black and white classic look but Id have to say Im a blue merle fan too. Love the eye combos that tend to come with them as well. I also prefer a full collar with a mask, white chest and legs, white tail tip and white on the head (see my avatar of Koda) that is separated from the collar for the most part. I dont care for ticking but a few freckles can give some personality.

And why?

Well, they are my two favorite colors I suppose. Kinda like food I guess - you just like what you like and dont what you dont.

Yes it would play a large part if Im picking out a puppy. Now, if its an adopted dog it wouldnt nearly as much. I would look first at the overall dog and parents and then see if the pup was right. But you know, you just know which dog is your dog, so although it would play a part it wouldnt absolutely dictate my decision even with a pup.

Yes, to a T. Both have my prefered markings for the most part and Koda is EXACTLY what I prefer - mask, full collar and stark contrasts..

I love all colors shapes and sizes. BUT......I have had some people ask me about Usher- what breed is he? Because he is a tri-colored. I can assume that that comes with merles- thinking that they are "aussies with a tail" etc... I had no clue that Usher would be a tri- in fact he is my 2nd tri. He is very handsome- that being said, it has no meaning on how he works. It's just a plus. I didn't pick him. He was chosen for me. What a surprise that he turned out so handsome. I've had a tri before. It's just markings. I found , myself, drawn to prick ears. I like them. Another debate- LOL. But......when you go somewhere and you have a traditional marked BC, they say "oh, that's a border collie" instead of them asking me.........hey- what is that dog mixed with. People just aren't educated enough to understand color, coat type, etc...

P.S. while I was typing this my new meds kicked in and there was my good old boy Usher- to run over and help me up. I don't care what color he is, I don't care if he's purple. He was there for me and I love him.

P.S. while I was typing this my new meds kicked in and there was my good old boy Usher- to run over and help me up. I don't care what color he is, I don't care if he's purple. He was there for me and I love him.

Hope youre alright! Yep, now thats what makes a good dog.

yep, I'm fine. I shouldn't have taken the bronchitis meds from my DIL without checking with my neuro. But there was "my guy" Not putting him in his crate tonight. My DIL already called me twice to make sure the meds didn't mess up and make me a "heath Ledger" - You have to watch out for those things. Bedtime for bonzo. (me) LOL.

yep, I'm fine. I shouldn't have taken the bronchitis meds from my DIL without checking with my neuro. But there was "my guy" Not putting him in his crate tonight. My DIL already called me twice to make sure the meds didn't mess up and make me a "heath Ledger" - You have to watch out for those things. Bedtime for bonzo. (me) LOL.

Thank God. You had me a little worried there!

I did like B&W and R&W and was not keen on merles, tri's, split face etc but that was partly as around where i live they are mostly B&W and i didn't see many other colours. Then i joined here and saw just how many variations there are and i now would say i have no preference at all.

It did to a degree with Holly, we wanted a B&W or R&W back then. It did not at all with Zac, i could have had any of of his siblings whatever colour they were. Zac's parents were tri's but one was a lot like Zac the other more Black tri not so heavy marked. It was the parents/breeder we went for with Zac and not colour. We chose him as he was the more cheeky chap but we would have had any of them.

No not really if you go back to after we got Holly, the next one was going to be a R&W female, i loved the R&W. Then we got a black tri male.

But now i don't mind any colour, i see something really beautiful in every BC i have seen, i think i am just a BC addict in general as i honestly have no favourite colour at all. I like a dog with lots of personality though so i do have a preference for that.

It's a toss up, either b/w (with emphasis on the black and minimal white) or a classic black tri. I really can't decide which is my favorite.

And why?

No real reason. The dogs that got me interested in border collies just happened to be b/w. My BC mix who made me fall in love with the breed is b/w, so it just stuck with me, I guess. My next border collie just happened to be a black tri and I couldn't help but start to love the coloring of black tri dogs, too.

I like the looks of r/w, not crazy about merles. Oh, and I LOVE sables, but I've never even seen one IRL.

Well, only in the rare instance that everything else was equal, but yeah.

Yes, except for Lilly.

ETA: Correction of "tri" to "black tri", since Julie reminded me that tris can be red, too. Duh.

Black and white with an interesting, nicely shaped blaze and collar. Mostly black on the body, but I don't have a problem with a larger amount of white. I used to prefer prick ears but now tipped are my favorite

And why?

It's a clean, sharp looking combination of colors. Stylish and classy not to mention classic.

It would be the first thing I'd notice of course but unless everything else is equal the personality is what would be most important in the final selection.

No, only one is black and white. We have two black tri-colors and one red tri, colors are becoming more common it seems. The red is a deep, dark red, really a chocolate although he's definitely not brown. The breeder we got the black and white from said he liked the tri-color because they looked like they were touched with gold highlights. Poetic description isn't it?

And I'll admit this (and yes I know it's silly and obsessive), we've had other breeds including mixes but I like all my dogs to match as far as what they are so we have four BCs and it'd have to be a special dog to break the set. :rolleyes:

Suzanne

What coat color do you prefer, if any? And why?

Hmmmm...I don't guess I have an absolute preference, though I think I am partial to tris (red or black) and love heavy ticking. The tri partiality may have come from the fact that my first border collie was a black tri. Heck, I like my reds, too, and my black and whites with obvious white factoring. I guess that means I don't have a real preference. But I love heavy ticking!

If it was a well-bred litter and the gender I wanted was available, then beyond that I would probably pick based on looks (that's how I picked Lark anyway--sight unseen, just knew she was a tri smooth coat), unless a particular pup picked me.

Yep--the colors of my dogs run pretty much the gamut, except for merle and sable. (I guess I should add that I like merle and sable too, though if it's a merle I don't like a lot of white, and I probably wouldn't pick a merle pup out of a litter.)

J.