BC Boards

fish body oil?

iLLt3cK

My dog had somewhat dry skin and his coat was not in great condition when I adopted him. I tried a fish-oil based supplement with ok results. I switched to Halo Vitaglo Dream Coat which I have been using for a little over a week. Already I have noticed his skin is less dry and his coat is incredibly soft. Here's a link: http://www.petco.com/product/105047/Halo-V...s-and-Cats.aspx. I'm sure a good food has also contributed to the improvements.

ETA: Plus my dog seems to love the taste. He licks his bowl clean!

I add salmon oil to my dogs food for the added bonuses it offers to joints and coats. However, if you are feeding your dog a high quality dog food, you should not have to add any supplements to your dogs diet.

I add salmon oil, also because of Bailey's missing fur patches. The dogs love it added to their kibble and yes, they really lick their bowls clean. Then go check each others. Bailey's coat is now fluffy and soft. Usher's has always been shiny.

Check it out:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=5289

The part that answers your question:

What I didn't know, and that EVERYONE

should be aware of, is that an overabundance of unsaturated fatty acids

(fat) in the diet can be toxic (and fatal) if additional supplements of

Vitamin E are not added as an anti-oxident.

And if you Google it, you'll find lots of stuff, too.

Also, you can buy fish oil that has vitamin E in it, like Seapet.

okay well I KNOW that I am underdosing him, I made that decision when I first started giving it to him so I feel much better now. Thank you for the information, and I am sorry but I have one more stupid question.... Why puncture the capsule?

I don't puncture the capsules. A liquid like Seapet is WAY easier to use, but pricey if you are doing umahem*tendogs*ahem - three of which get double doses and two others which are over 100 pounds. So, I just drop the capsules in the topping that goes over their daily kibble (sometimes stew, sometimes poached eggs, sometimes canned fish, sometimes organ meat or tripe, sometimes canned food). They don't even notice it. It's absorbed in the gi so it doesn't really matter in what form it makes it there. Ben gets a liquid though because it's pure fish oil with no soy. I'd love to use the E balanced stuff but I have a personal issue with Seapet (they sell shark cartilage).

Sluj, you got me all excited because I order from KV all the time - but I don't see Grizzly with Vit E in it listed. :rolleyes: Am I getting old? I'm too young to get old!!

However, if you are feeding your dog a high quality dog food, you should not have to add any supplements to your dogs diet.

Actually, even the best quality food will no longer contain the proper balance of these highly unstable oils by the time you open the bag, much less by the time you get to the last crumbs in the bottom. And the meats you get in the grocery store or from distributors tend to be quite light on the omega-3s. Omega-3s are vital to skin and coat health, joint health, and nervous system function. Dogs process omega-3s from animal sources best so salmon oil is the best bang for your buck (salmon because it's not farmed and the good stuff is from relatively uncontaminated water).

All of the liquid salmon oils that I've seen have only trace amounts of Vitamin E as a preservative to make sure the oil doesn't spoil before being consumed. I was under the impression this amount is not enough to be utilized by the body...?

I was under the impression that if you are giving fish body oil it naturally had what was needed by the body to absorb it properly like if you were to feed fish to them.

FWIW I use THIS along with Ultra-oil (mixed 50/50) otherwise Chesney doesn't like the Ultra oil plane and doesn't seem to do as well with just the salmon oil. I was for a while supplementing Tucker and Chesney with fish oil capsules with Vit E and it just never did the trick...

Fish oil is the only thing I add to Daisy's food; I'm not aware that anything else would be useful. I started giving Daisy a teaspoon of Lipiderm from Pet People, which is fish oil plus Vitamins A and E, in her food and her skin got way less itchy and dry. It made a big difference. Then I read the labels and realized that it is the same as human "Norwegian Cod Liver Oil" from Whole Foods, right down to the A, C and added lemon flavor. Like many basic feedstocks, I suspect that there aren't very many fish oil plants in the world and they supply all the repackagers. Actually, thank goodness there aren't many fish oil plants -- there used to be one in Beaufort NC when I lived there and it really stunk!

Sluj, you got me all excited because I order from KV all the time - but I don't see Grizzly with Vit E in it listed. :rolleyes: Am I getting old? I'm too young to get old!!

I'm the one getting old! It seems I was mistaken about Grizzly including VitE. Sorry about that!

I use Grizzly salmon oil because it comes in a pump, and Solo won't eat capsules. Jett and Fly will, happily, but Solo's the one who actually needs the stuff.

I also give Solo and Fly Duralactin for the joints (can't tell if it does anything) and they both get a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. Solo gets Glyco-Flex soft chews because he won't eat pills or capsules, and Fly gets the Costco brand tablets because she doesn't seem to really need a supplement and she'll eat anything you hand her. I think I could probably feed her a pine cone as a treat.

All of the liquid salmon oils that I've seen have only trace amounts of Vitamin E as a preservative to make sure the oil doesn't spoil before being consumed. I was under the impression this amount is not enough to be utilized by the body...?

I think that is true, Laura. Some products, though, like Seapet are formulated to have more than trace amounts of vitamin E. I think it's balanced to have the proper amount of E for the amount of fish oil. Or something like that...

And all of mine will happily eat their capsules, too. They get Glycoflex, salmon oil, vitamins E and C every day. They won't eat the C plain, but everything else is like a treat.