BC Boards

Lost/missing Border Collie in Texas

Not sure if this goes in this forum or not, but we need help from all our Texan members. Red Oliver's Luke dog went missing a few days ago. For those of you that don't know or know of him, Red is a handler here in Texas, and absolutley adores his dogs. I believe Luke got scared in a storm and took off. I'll post the particulars, but if all you Texas members can get this out we'd sure apprciate it. Red is the best guy on earth, and I'm sure his heart is broken. Lets see if we can't find Luke and get him back home, thanks so much in advance for any help at all. Also any suggestions from you rescue groups on how the best way to go about trying to track him down would be greatly appreciated.

Betty

From our TSDA president:

I guess some or most have heard Red's Luke dog went missing Friday from Red's place in Gus, between Lexington and Caldwell. Please keep your ears open for any news of found border collie----male rough coat, black and white, 8 years old, 40 lbs, not sure if wearing a collar or not...... and pass this on to shelters, vets, rescue groups, dog groups, etc. that might run across the dog.

Kay

Just bumping this back up to the top. I hope Red finds Luke.

J.

Thanks so much! We are all just sick about this. Red is such a good guy :-( And Luke is a really nice dog, as a matter of fact of the dogs that trial in Texas, he's number one on my list ;-( Sure hope he comes home soon.

B

This post just hit me in a soft place. I so hope that Luke is home soon. Please keep us posted.

I believe this is Luke with Red at last year's Soldier Hollow (correct me if I'm wrong, please. I copied it from one of my post's in last year's thread "Soldier Hollow Classic 2007") --

Red Oliver of Texas is called the "Elder Statesman," and it's a well-deserved title. When I asked permission to take a picture of his dog Luke, he knelt right down and instructed Luke to look at the camera, never mind his 83-year-old knees. What a delightful gentleman!

Red__Luke.jpg

This post just hit me in a soft place. I so hope that Luke is home soon. Please keep us posted.

I believe this is Luke with Red at last year's Soldier Hollow (correct me if I'm wrong, please. I copied it from one of my post's in last year's thread "Soldier Hollow Classic 2007") --

Yes, I remember that, but I don't think that's Luke, I think that is Danny in that pic. He's a tri and Luke is just black and white.

I hadn't seen this...glad it got jumped to the top. Wish there was something I could do. Red is a dear friend, and Luke is a GREAT dog,

A

Theres a nice pic of Red and Luke in the last issue, ( not the new one that just came out ) in WBC mag.

There are a lot of tips on a website called Lost Dog Search .

Maybe you handlers could organize some walks through likely areas, where you blow Luke's recall whistle, and then just sit tight in the same place for a half hour or so, repeating whistle at intervals. There is no such thing as too many flyers, and fax them to every vet office and shelter in the yellow pages. Gas stations, minimarts, laundromats are good places to post. Hand flyers to delivery people who work in the area.

I sure hope Luke gets back.

A fellow I knew was told to take a piece of his smelly clothing as far away in several directions from home as he could and then drag it back home along the ground to make a trail for the lost dog. It worked! The boxer turned up at the front door within 24 hours.

Good luck to everyone in Texas,

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed way up north,

Ailsa

My thoughts and prayers are out to them both. I hope he finds his way home soon. I have a friend that lost his working BC during a thunder storm. He was in town at the time and she made it to the interstate. A trucker picked her up and then traced down where she belonged. Let me know as soon as you hear anything.

:-( Still no news. Red has signs up everywhere...we're trying to get a reward together, and a few of the gals in our club plan on going up there this weekend to help look for him. Still praying he turns up soon.

Betty

Can you generate some interest about the dog on the local media? Red looks like a real character and would probably come off as a real *human interest* story on the news shows. I don't mean to be crass about it but this is one of the best ways to get people's attention. Even getting it posted on the radio might do so good. Whenever there is a story in the local paper around here about a dog needing $ for an operation, assistance comes pouring in!

What about the storms I see in the news hitting Texas? Are they happening in your area? Maybe the dog is hiding out...

We're up here praying for him too.

Ailsa