BC Boards

Jersey's first time

Aquarius89

Today Jersey and I went herding. I kept her on leash inside the arena, keeping our distance behind the sheep while the farm's BC (rescue from Wisconsin) herded them around.

All she did was eat sheep poo. Seriously. She chased a few times (I let the leash go when she showed interest in 'herding' them) and had fun, but the majority of the time was just checking things out. We ended by walking up (face to face) to the sheep for a little excitement.

Her second time in we followed them more closely from behind. Had to back off because the ram in the trio was a bit of a prick and was head butting another dog who was herding. She didn't really show any interest in herding, but was paying attention to what was going on. When a sheep would stray, we would go out to it with the dog that was herding and bring it back.

I was a bit disappointed that she didn't show more interest/instinct, but hopefully we can head back out there another time soon. Just thought I'd share how it went!

Many youngsters will do like yours has done. Make sure to give her some time to mature mentally and physically, and you might be quite pleased at her response.

Meanwhile, I would avoid any situation that involved a ram, much less one who was into "head butting another dog". The worst thing you could do is take an inexperienced, young dog and expose it to an aggressive animal. That would be a recipe for disaster.

Even if that animal was a wether and not a ram, or a ewe, any instructor worth their salt will not put a youngster like yours in with an animal that shows aggression like you describe.

JMO, but I'd be very cautious about this place for instruction from what little you have said here.

I see a few things that may have contributed to the result. First, there was another dog in there- some dogs are not comfortable with any other dogs around when they are trying new things. That dog was clearly in charge- so your Jersey may not have felt comfortable getting in there. Second, keeping the dog on a line and following- not sure what spark that is supposed to light up? I would suggest, now that you know she isn't a mutton eater, to get her back in there, with a line, but do not make her walk behind the sheep, or have another dog in there (unless the sheep won't stay with the trainer) and then jig it up a bit for her. Definitely try again, from what you say, she has some interest, and in the right situation, who knows what will out :rolleyes:

PS: I agree with Sue. No aggressive sheep PERIOD on young dogs, ever. If you go back there, and that ram is still in there, thank the trainer very much, but ask to have that sheep moved out of the pen.

Julie-as for the following behind the sheep on lead? I am FAR from knowing much about all this stuff, but that method worked in finally getting my baby dog interested in sheep. He and I walked behind the sheep, with me holding his lead. It was like a lightbulb went off in his head, "Hey! I'm movin' me some sheep!", and once he started straining on the lead, I let go. Sure, there was plenty of chasing, but for his first time actually showing interest, it was all good. He went out after them and brought them back to me (at breakneck speed, of course :rolleyes: ) and then started to circle.

I know every dog is different, of course, but just wanted to add my .02 that I don't think the method that the trainer used in this case was questionable at all. The ram, though, that's another story. I'd certainly address that next time, Jess. It's very important to have appropriate sheep for a beginner dog ('specially the very first time).

Good luck!

Paula, Jersey is 9 months old now.

Sue, I have never had a problem with any of this instructor's sheep before, and she wasn't letting the sheep get away with it. The first time I saw the ram head butt the working dog, I kept my distance from him with Jersey and made sure not to walk up to him from the front. The ram wasn't in the first time we went in. I think the instructor was a little surprised at his temper, and said he wouldn't be staying at the farm much longer if he continued head butting.

The dog that was in there the first time wasn't doing much. He knew he wasn't supposed to really be herding at the time, so he kept his distance and didn't really take "charge". No one really was... lol.

If I had taken her off lead, she wouldn't have followed the sheep at all and would have just indulged herself in eating sheep poo. I had tried it near the beginning. Having her on leash gave me the ability to have her walk with me following the sheep. I can see why you think this may not work, but it seemed to help things for us. I know my dog, and I know what will work and what won't for her. :rolleyes:

Here are a few pictures courtesy of Sally (rainbowbridgecanw8t):

jersey1.jpg

jersey2.jpg

jersey3.jpg

Is that Pilot in the background? He is so pretty!

Don't get too discuraged. It took Lucia a couple of visits before it clicked with her. I haven't had the chance in the last year to put her on sheep again :D I would love to see what she does now that she's two. She was only a year old the first time we tried (6 lessons). Lucia has a very defective off button when it come to animals running from her :rolleyes: It's gotten better, but not sure if will work on sheep yet.

Keep trying. Maybe she just needs a couple more exposures.

Pistol doesn't MOVE unless he is told to by Faye, so he isn't even noticed. He lies still as a rock. LOL!

We use the leash on new dogs to make sure they are following and interested in the sheep FIRST. Otherwise, there is the risk of a new dog injuring a sheep (I have seen that happen) or running around, and as Jessie said, doing nothing but eating sheep poop or just running off in other directions. This method works with a lot of dogs who are shy and new.