BC Boards

Prospective BC Owner...

So I pm'ed Becca on another board and she referred me here. I probably know a lot of you- I've definitely lurked and seen some familiar looking dogs around here.

Anyways, I am really interested in a border collie as my next dog. It would definitely be over a year to two years from now as I feel like I should graduate before taking on another dog. So I figure it gives me some time to research and ask around! (It's never too late to start, is it?)

Here's a little about me. I grew up with a GSD x type of dog as well as my father's field lab. When I was about 9 years old after our GSD passed away I decided I needed a collie. Well, my parents said no and that they only wanted a small breed. So we ended up with our first sheltie. Since then we've had a few shelties. I still have two old shelties right now. When I was a junior in high school we ended up with our first papillon. We've had four since but only have three now as we lost one pup to an unknown birth defect we think. That's basically all the dog experience I have.

Well, now that I'm on my own I want a larger breed. I started looking and got it quickly narrowed down to Aussies, Border Collies, and Tollers. After I read some more I decided on Aussies. But then I was sort of thrown a loop and ended up with another papillon instead of a bigger dog this year. I also began working at the shelter here locally a lot and have been lucky enough to work with quite a few border collies. I quickly realized after working with the bcs and some aussies that despite what I'd read the BCs seemed to fit with me much much better. So i've been looking at them more.

As much as I want a border collie (you have no idea right now!) I want to make sure I'm an appropriate owner. You always hear the border collie horror stories and previous to relatively recently that had been the majority of my experience with them. I just think a lot of people don't realize what they're getting into. I love the more active breeds and I really love the highly intelligent/easy to train breeds. My lifestyle revolves around my dogs. I spend almost all my free time with them or doing something for them. I've been involved in obedience (rally), agility (but long ago- we're starting up with the new pap this summer though!), coughconformationcough :rolleyes:, as well as just usual exercise and training around the house.

So I have some questions. First of all, I was really interested in a rescue dog- a young adult or an older pup specifically. Do you think it's a good idea for a first time BC owner to go with a rescue or do you think it's wiser to go with a working bred dog? What kinds of 'stuff' do you guys do with your bcs? What are some good ways to get involved and getting a better feel for the breed (I already have the trial dates for the rest of the year. Hopefully I can make some). How do they compare to other breeds you've owned (specifically paps or shelties)? I hear temperament varies a bit, but I'm really looking for something that'll be a little more personable than my male sheltie. He's very very shy and though I can deal with him or another dog like him most certainly, I'd rather have a dog that adjusts to strangers better. So what kinds of temperaments do your bcs have? I hear some are aloof and some are rather velcro.

Umm any questions you have of me would be fine as well.

Oh and I was told to introduce my 'wannabe' non-BCs! :D

This is the newest recruit, Summer, who is almost 4:

summergood.jpg

She's a therapy dog and an obedience dog in training. We're starting agility (just for fun) this summer.

This is Rose, our two year old female papillon:

rose2.png

She was a conformation prospect with a long story involving politics and such. Very confusing, but basically she's been through three homes and we ended up with her somehow, but I'm so glad we did. When we got her she was so shy and scared of everything but now she's a very spunky, confident little girl. She is now spayed and living life to the fullest as a pet.

Then this one is our little hellion... I mean papillon named Beau, also almost 4.

bear.png

He's our coghconformatindogcough.... Also involved in obedience mainly for fun. He's the biggest character I've ever met. He's toy obsessive and very energetic. Loves to play fetch and loves training. Very people-oriented.

then we have Trey, our 12 year old male sheltie:

calendar.jpg

Resident model. (I swear he always looks posed in pictures) He used to do agility as a youngster but I was young and lost my desire. I wish we'd kept it up. He's the shy one of the bunch.

Finally we have Nikki, another 12 year old Sheltie:

profile2.jpg

She's been through some rough times health wise, but she's doing much better. she's kind of the queen around here. Very bossy dog, really.

So... nice to meet you and I look forward to hearing a bit about what it's like to own a border collie!

Welcome. You sound like the perfect border collie owner to me! Anyone who is dedicated to fulfilling their dogs' needs and likes to spend a lot of time with their dogs will do fine with a BC, as long as they realize that the dog may have more of a need for work/mental exercise than some other breeds.

As far as answering your specific questions:

1. Yes, yes, yes! Absolutely rescue! I am a first-time BC owner (if you don't count my BC/Springer) and I coudn't be happier with my rescue. With rescue, you not only give a home to a dog in need, but you also know exactly what you're getting and can get exactly what you want. Of course, there is nothing wrong with getting a working-bred pup, particularly if you want to get into herding. But if herding is not your main goal (and even, maybe, if it is) I would definitely consider rescue seriously. I know lots of people particularly recommend going with a rescue BC that is known to be less intense as a first BC. I don't think its necessary, but if you are scared of the intensity at all, it may be a good way to ease yourself in.

2. Fostering for a rescue organization is a great way to get a BC on a trial-basis, and get more experience with the breed.

3. I haven't owned any other breeds, so I will leave this one for others.

4. Temperaments vary as much in BCs as they do in other breeds. Mine can be a bit shy until he gets to know you, although he has gotten a lot better since I adopted him five months ago. He really doesn't care at all for other dogs--not aggressive or shy, he would just much prefer to hang out with people, particularly if those people have a frisbee! I think preferring human companionship to the company of other dogs is a pretty common BC trait. Again, if you opt to rescue, you will know the temperament of the dog in advance and you can get a bold, outgoing dog if that is what you are looking for.

Again, welcome and good luck in your quest! Careful though, you may become an addict and never own another breed again!

Welcome to the boards. As for rescue vs. working bred--it really depends on what you want to do with the dog. For most purposes, a rescue is usually better, as you can find one with whom you have a "connection," and you can find one to fit your energy-level needs. Good for you for doing your research!

A

First of all, I was really interested in a rescue dog- a young adult or an older pup specifically. Do you think it's a good idea for a first time BC owner to go with a rescue or do you think it's wiser to go with a working bred dog?

I think that going through rescue is a good idea.

What kinds of 'stuff' do you guys do with your bcs?

At home:

We play ball, we have training sessions, we hang out together and watch TV, we snuggle, sometimes they annoy me, sometimes I annoy them, usually we all just enjoy each other's company.

Out and About:

I do Musical Freestyle with both of my Border Collies. I also do Agility with one of my Border Collies and one of my Border Collie mixes. I have done Rally with one of my Border Collies.

I've also taken some herding lessons with both Border Collies.

We hike and swim in the summertime.

I've taken them on vacations to the beach and we've gone to camp together.

All good stuff!

What are some good ways to get involved and getting a better feel for the breed (I already have the trial dates for the rest of the year. Hopefully I can make some).

If you can find a rescue or shelter that you can foster for, that's an excellent way to get a feel for the breed. Or, if you know anyone with a Border Collie, maybe you could dog-sit.

How do they compare to other breeds you've owned (specifically paps or shelties)?

I don't know about paps or shelties, but my two Border Collies are very different from my two mutts (who are Border Collie mixes!). When I let the dogs out to play in the yard, the mutts go off to sniff and explore. The Border Collies wait for me near the door.

The Border Collies tend to want to be involved in whatever I'm doing - even if that just consist of chomping on a toy at my feet while I'm on the computer. The mutts are more inclined to go stare out a window.

When I train with my Border Collies, I tend to focus on control and helping them channel their drive correctly. With the muts, I focus on building drive and motivations.

I use the word "humanesque" to describe the Border Collies. It's like they have a level of awareness and interest that is a step above what the mutts have. The mutts are great - they are good, normal dogs. The Border Collies are more of an adventure.

I hear temperament varies a bit, but I'm really looking for something that'll be a little more personable than my male sheltie. He's very very shy and though I can deal with him or another dog like him most certainly, I'd rather have a dog that adjusts to strangers better. So what kinds of temperaments do your bcs have? I hear some are aloof and some are rather velcro.

Yes, temperament varies. My first Border Collie has a fearful temperament. He is shy with strangers, and even once he warms up to a person, he is not cuddly and lovey. My young Border Collie wants to give hugs and kisses and is very outgoing with everyone.

That's another reason why getting a young adult from rescue is good. You will be able to look at dogs that have the temperament that you want, and you have a pretty good chance of finding what you are looking for.

Welcome! I agree with what the others have said. You sound like a good candidate for a border collie. Starting with an adolescent rescue will allow you to start with a dog of known temperament so that you can better fit him/her in with your current living situation and dogs. Check out the rescue section of this forum for some nice prospects.

J.

LOL, I knew you looked familier! Welcome to the boards, great place with tons of info.

You know I think you should get a Border Collie :rolleyes:

What are you doing online!? Aren't you picking up your pup soon? :D

Thanks for all the advice guys. They sound like such delightful dogs. I cannot wait to get one of my own. I cant look at prospects now or I'll end up with one, lol! If I had my way I'd have taken home a BC last friday. Unfortunately the timing is just not quite right yet.

First of all, I was really interested in a rescue dog- a young adult or an older pup specifically. Do you think it's a good idea for a first time BC owner to go with a rescue or do you think it's wiser to go with a working bred dog?

for what you are looking for, I would rescue.

What kinds of 'stuff' do you guys do with your bcs?

I honestly dont do much right now..taking a break from the local dog world, but my dogs are trained in Flyball, and Agility, and on my own I play with Barral racing, disc, bikejoring... mostly I just play games with them though, like hide and seek and catch and such lol

What are some good ways to get involved and getting a better feel for the breed (I already have the trial dates for the rest of the year. Hopefully I can make some).

check out agility trials, flyball tournys, and herding trials. you could foster for a rescue..

How do they compare to other breeds you've owned (specifically paps or shelties)?

they dont lol. my BCs are totally differnt from my Toller and JRT, all you have to do is take them out into the yard to play its obvious..the BCs right away are hanging with me, I am involved in their game, even if I am inside and they are polaying alone, they want me to watch, if I am not watching they will run to the door cang aaginst it and bark, when I open the door they fly out to the yard and continue their play lol. the Toller and JRT on the other hand dont have me join them, at all..in fact they usually consider me to be in their way. the BCs I talk to them and they understand, they do everything they can to help me out, I have found the my BCs are never self serving, everything they do, they want me involved and in turn they find great joy and helpoing me with anything I need. the Toller and JRT however...they are very self serving, while they follow me around, they really have no interest in helping me with anything..unless it happens to benifit them in some way.

I hear temperament varies a bit, but I'm really looking for something that'll be a little more personable than my male sheltie. He's very very shy and though I can deal with him or another dog like him most certainly, I'd rather have a dog that adjusts to strangers better. So what kinds of temperaments do your bcs have? I hear some are aloof and some are rather velcro.

anouther reason to go with a rescue, you will know what you are getting. my 2 BCs have totally differnt temperments,

Misty is bold, hyped up, strong, dominant, and LOVES to train.

Happy is quiet, unassuming, submissive, and a thinker, she hates to train, she fails to see the point. as far and she is considered, just tell her what you want, if its tricky, then show her what you want. she doesnt like these stupid "figer it out" games and shaping type stuff. if I teach Misty and then Have Happy watch Misty preform the trick, then Happy will do it right off the bat.

Welcome to the Boards. Your dogs are lovely!

I am definitely a rescue fan (both of my BCs are rescues) and one of them I got from this Board. :rolleyes: One of my dogs is a velcro-type and the other is a little less emotional and clingy, but they're both terrific dogs. Good luck in your search.

I bet those cute Papillons would herd real good, they should be trained to run as a group, dontcha think? They really shouldn't run around loose in the back yard like that, they should stay in that corner. I could take care of that for you, in fact, I think I will, you'll love it, watch me! I can put them in the other corner, if you prefer. No, I don't want a stupid ball, thanks, no, I don't need a treat right now, I'm busy...

I agree that you sound like a good owner for a BC (once you are done with school that is). I would seriously wait until that is done just because of the huge potential for serious life changes. Granted, you could make them around your dogs but its probably best that you wait and shows you are responsible by making that statement.

I would also encourage you to rescue a BC. I personally have one of each (bought one from breeder and another I rescued) and its a good match. I do sugggest that you look through Petfinder when you are ready as the specific BC rescues are not all that there is out there. I found my rescued purebred BC at a humane society before he was taken by the MWBCR and he is a wonderful dog. The thing about getting them outside of a rescue is that you dont have all of the legal mumbo jumbo to deal with. I know most BC rescues do everything but keep legal binding contracts on your underwear and have direct access to your bank account. I give them credit for ensuring the dog's well being but I think that they go overboard.

I agree somewhat with the statement that getting an adolecent you are able to tell the personality of the dog but I think you can tell that with a pup for the most part as well. The majority of issues people have problems with are aggession and I would say 99% of that is a human fault. Socialize, socialize, socialize...and did I say socialize?....is the key with both dogs and humans. Unless the dog is ill mentally (which is very rare) you are going to be fine if you take them everywhere. So a pup or an adult is good with me. I prefer the pup just because the imprinting is stronger but there are also so many adults that need loving homes too.

I personally am involved in canine disc sports (frisbee) with my dogs. The one I purchased I intentionally bought for his extremely high drive from a working line because I knew we would be doing disc dog competetions. My rescue (who really is indiferent to the disc) I adopted for a companion to Koda and because he just looked like he was my dog and needed to come home with me; he is really just my big teddy bear. Im hoping he will learn to love the sport as physically he could be an insanely athletic disc dog. But, if he is content to be my big mellow boy who just loves to play with Koda, take long walks with me and just be my companion, Im good with that too :rolleyes: He truly is a wonderful dog.

I agree somewhat with the statement that getting an adolecent you are able to tell the personality of the dog but I think you can tell that with a pup for the most part as well.

I think you'll find that there are plenty of people who would disagree with this statement. Of the puppies I have raised, I would say that some of the traits they exhibited as pups remained with them as they grew older, and some didn't (i.e., their personalities changed). This can be especially true of females.

J.

I think you'll find that there are plenty of people who would disagree with this statement. Of the puppies I have raised, I would say that some of the traits they exhibited as pups remained with them as they grew older, and some didn't (i.e., their personalities changed). This can be especially true of females.

J.

There are plenty of people who will disagree with every single facet of dogs and dog training...LOL This statement is based upon my experience with dogs (primarily BCs) and has held true within that lengthy experience. Im sure mileage may differ from person to person but I feel general traits are what they are for the most part which is why I said I agree "somewhat". My last three BCs for example, I performed several behavior tests on them as pups, raised them as I was taught and they all turned out to be what I expected - 2 males and 1 female btw. Eh, let 'em disagree :rolleyes:

On the flip side as I think of it, adopted dogs are VERY likely to change personalites. There are countless stories of the "honeymoon" stage ending and the dog becoming a terror. I know my Zak came as a very undernourished boy who was so mellow that you wouldnt even believe. Not a bark, not a single thing gotten into and hardly ran. Now?...he is bursting with energy, plays all day long, runs like a crazy dog, is quite oinery, is rather vocal and is just a perky happy boy. He is still mellow inside unless Koda is around to gnaw on but he did a 180. I have known other dogs that were shelter dogs that became aggressive, obedience terrors and the like.

Im more inclined to say get a pup (preferably adopted), test general behavior and raise them with the rules and boundaries you have set. Socialize them as much as you can and let their quirks be what they are. If you miss that puppy stage where they are most impressionable you just simply miss a big opportunity in their development.

J.

Isn't that the truth--Madamoiselle Pippin has many qualities that are very like they were when she was a pup--but she also changed fairly dramatically at about age 2.5 and suddenly became something of a snark-monster (of the devious sort who lures other dogs in with wiggle butts and then snarks). In fact, I think in general she has gotten "sneakier" (for lack of a less anthropomorphic word) with age in lots of other ways too. It was so out of character for her that I didn't see it as a pattern in the way I would have had she been a new dog or a puppy.

I think one of the things that's really, really hard to tell with a pup is how they will orient towards whatever work they are engaged with. None of the puppies we've raised "work" the way I might have predicted of them when they were puppies (be that livestock work, agility, flyball or basic household manners)

Skyler,

If your lengthy experience with three border collie puppies leads you to believe that a first-time owner should choose a puppy, and that rescues are more likely to "change personalities" than a pup will, then who am I to contradict you? Clearly the rescuers and fosters who have and evaluate rescue dogs don't know what they're talking about when they describe the the personality of a particular dog up for adoption.

You seem to say you got Zak from a shelter, so I'm not quite sure how you can extrapolate your experience with him to dogs who go through rescue. There's a reason dogs in rescue spend time in foster homes--it's so the rescue can evaluate the dogs and figure out what their true personalities are so that they can make the best match for the dog with a prospective owner. They are amazingly successful at this, so they must be doing something right when it comes to evaluating personalities, don't you think? No one here has said that you can pick any old dog out of the shelter and know what you're getting, but if you go through a reputable rescue, you ought to have a pretty good idea.

And the whole idea that you will better be able to mold a pup to what you want is hogwash and a convenient excuse used by people who want a puppy, all other considerations be damned.

J.

I agree with Julie, Happy is NOTHING like she was as a puppy..thank god lol. she was awful, I considered rehoming her many times, she was into everything, nothing but trouble, I was crying most of her puppyhood. now? she did a total 180, she is now the dog that everyone who meets her wishes she were theirs....they didnt know her back then lol

or Electra, as a pup she was showing promise as a preformance prospect, she is 2 years old now and ummm....Preformance? Electra? she is the laziest dog I have ever owned lol. so much for that puppy evaluation!

Skyler,

If your lengthy experience with three border collie puppies leads you to believe that a first-time owner should choose a puppy, and that rescues are more likely to "change personalities" than a pup will, then who am I to contradict you? Clearly the rescuers and fosters who have and evaluate rescue dogs don't know what they're talking about when they describe the the personality of a particular dog up for adoption.

You seem to say you got Zak from a shelter, so I'm not quite sure how you can extrapolate your experience with him to dogs who go through rescue. There's a reason dogs in rescue spend time in foster homes--it's so the rescue can evaluate the dogs and figure out what their true personalities are so that they can make the best match for the dog with a prospective owner. They are amazingly successful at this, so they must be doing something right when it comes to evaluating personalities, don't you think? No one here has said that you can pick any old dog out of the shelter and know what you're getting, but if you go through a reputable rescue, you ought to have a pretty good idea.

And the whole idea that you will better be able to mold a pup to what you want is hogwash and a convenient excuse used by people who want a puppy, all other considerations be damned.

J.

As much as I appreciate the sarcastic and implied ignorance, you are entitled to your opinion. I said for example, "on the last three dogs" - does that mean that I have had only three dogs? No, I have had BCs since I was a kid, I was raised on my uncles farm for much of my youth and teen years that had BCs and Rough Collies - they were working dogs. I currently own four (two purchased and two adopted) as my rule is for every purchased dog the next has to be adopted. On top of that I have had a rescue as well as a humane society BC and worked with both. So, prior to your judgements you should perhaps ask what my experience is. Have I worked with rescue dogs? Have I worked with shelters?...yes and yes.

My opinion is that pups are more easily shaped into what you would have them be if you are an experienced individual. This individual has had experience with many dogs and agility. So yes, my OPINION is to get a pup - that is what I would do and what I have done in the past. Simple and to the point. My LIFE experience with dogs has shown this to be a solid fact. Does it mean you cant find a great dog through a rescue?...of course not! Get a rescued pup or be extremely selective or find a farmer with a litter of pups and get one cheap.

So I praise you for your strong message of hogwash and be-damned. I encourage the adoption of a rescue dog as stated. I help with a rescue for Gods sake! But I also have the experience that says to get them young (as a preference) as I have had both of them several times over. There are plenty of pups out there that need adopted as well and what harm is there in looking for a younger dog? Are there not plenty of rescue pups? Can you not open the paper and look for free dogs?

Best owners with right dogs? Are they helped when in fostership and evaluated? Yes and yes. However, I dont like organizations that place so many stipulations on dogs that you almost dont even own them. When looking for Zak I opted NOT to use a purebred rescue and he is a pup still (now 10 months old). Go ahead and spout jibberish for an organization that controls your rights to your dog if you want. I am grateful they exist to save dogs but I dont like control. I dont think they can evaluate as well as one can shape. Get my point? Raise your dog with the boundaries and education you wish and that will shape the dog into what you want. Im not saying not to get a rescue, Im saying get a young dog - please read what I wrote rather than jump to rash conclusions. I ENCOURAGE rescue dogs...its just better to get a young one. The bond that is created with a young pup is better off than an adult in MOST situations with an experienced individual.

Simple fact is this is MY experience and you have YOUR experience - or perhaps you dont as I have not asked. I am entitled to my opinions and it is what makes the world go round.

Another vote for rescue, and a side note that not all rescues are equal. Some are strict, some are not. Look at a few before deciding that all rescues are too prohibitive (FWIW, in my area the all-breed rescues tend to be less restrictive than pure-breed rescues). Anyways, since you are going to alter you dog and keep him/her for life (right?), the regulations shouldn't affect you too much once you are approved for adoption.

Actually Skyler, I did read what you wrote. You said,

adopted dogs are VERY likely to change personalites
and I disagree with that. You're right, we can certainly disagree. But I don't think you should make such blanket and patently untrue (untrue because if the majority of adopted dogs changed their personalities, then rescue wouldn't work, and yet it does) statements regarding rescues. So you have a problem with the "control" a rescue organization places over the rescue dog. That's your problem, and no reason to make statements that imply that rescue dog = unknown personality. What you said was to get a pup, and that's not the same as "get a young dog." Young dog to me means something around a year or maybe a bit older, which I think is actually the perfect age to get a dog from rescue. They're past the worst of the puppy behaviors and they're of an age to start doing stuff (sports) with. The fact is I wouldn't have a problem with your comments at all if you had just said that in your opinion the OP should look for a pup in rescue. It's when you start claiming that young adult rescues (or any rescue other than a pup) will undergo a personality change that I take issue.

As an owner of both rescue and non-rescue border collies, I can assure you I had no more problem shaping the rescues into what I wanted than I did those dogs I raised from puppyhood. I have even taken at least one pup sight unseen (hence no evaluation) and brought her up to be an excellent working dog (and companion). She was a real cuddly pup, but isn't interested in that sort of interaction now that she's two. Hmmmm...I guess her personality changed? I think anyone like the OP, who has had as much experience as she's had, wouldn't have a problem shaping an adolescent rescue either. And the bonus for her would be that she could start right away with agility or whatever other sport she might be interested in without having to wait a year or two for a pup to grow up. And that's my opinion.

If you think my experience is relevant to this discussion, I'd be happy to tell you about it, but beyond the fact that I have both rescues and dogs I raised from puppyhood, and that I have trained both the rescues and the pups to be working and successful trial dogs, I doubt it really matters. In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that my most problematic dog is a rescue (private rescue, meaning my vet begged me to adopt him from his then owner), but I knew he was a problematic dog when I took him. The other rescues are the same dogs they were when I got them, although perhaps now better trained (and certainly older and more worldwise). Some of the dogs I raised from puppyhood have undergone personality changes as they've aged, but in my view, that's to be expected.

J.

Thanks for all the input! I am definitely waiting until I'm out of school to get another dog for the mentioned reasons. I want to make sure I'm settled before committing to another dog. Don't worry, though, dogs are not a light commitment to me.

As far as getting an older dog, I'm fairly sure that's what I want to do. I haven't had a puppy in a while and I think that puppy + bc might be a bad idea for a starter, lol! As for the method I am not sure about breed rescues. I wanted to rescue a papillon when I was looking for my latest, but I really didn't have much a chance with the breed rescues- some of the restrictions are so strict! I understand they are trying to do the best by the dogs as possible, but I think many keep out some really good (if not perfectly ideal) homes for some of the dogs. But also, there are probably more BC rescues than papillon ones so I am sure I can find some more willing to work with individual circumstances. If not, I know for sure that our local shelter gets BCs in all the time. We've already had a few since I began working there that I think would suit my needs. (There's actually a 6 month old now that I'd steal if I were out of school!)

Of the dogs I have, in general I can't tell the difference between the ones we raised as pups or the ones we got as adults. Trey is the exception to that and had quite a few issues to overcome. The other two have fit right in. Rose had some fear issues especially involving bigger dogs but she is doing fantastic now. She was terrified of Trey when she first met him and now they're best buddies.

I am also looking to get my first pure BC after I get settled into my new house in the next year. I was in the thinking that I could shape a puppy. But I have switched my opinion and would whole-heartedly go with a younger dog from a rescue. While I would be participating in agility and other dog sports, I am not a very serious competitor, so companionship is very important to me. With that said, I know rescue would ensure a better suited dog to what I am looking for and I could get an idea of the personality of the evaluated dogs.

Laurelin, I'm feeling your pain, there's been times I swear I could've come home with a BC. We need to resist!

I think where most people fail with this breed is they forget how much they need us. Even if the dog doesn't seem to. They thrive off human companionship. Some aren't the type to sit in your lap and be swooned over but that doesn't mean they don't need their person. Someone who loves the breed, the dog and is willing to spend a lot of time making their lives together work (even if it doesn't seem like any effort) is ideal.

With that said I think you would make a wonderful BC owner.

Both of my dogs are rescues - Abby the mutt as a 10 month old from an all breed rescue and Ryan the BC from TDBCR.

With Abby I basically knew what I was getting but I didn't necessarily have the experience to fully understand her issues. I knew though that I was getting a fearful, shy dog and I knew that she had a ton of drive and would be awesome at anything I wanted to try with her. I could also tell that she was a one person dog and that was what I wanted.

I decided to get a rescue puppy as my next dog because 1) I had never raised a puppy and 2) I had broader criteria for my 2nd dog. I just wanted an outgoing dog that wasn't shy with people. High drive, low drive, big, little, serious or not didn't matter to me. If I had wanted anything very specific I would have gone with another adolescent or adult rescue. I socialized Ryan as much as I possibly could and he has turned out to be the well adjusted boy that I had hoped for :rolleyes: