BC Boards

? about Odor Eliminators...not perfumes

Nik

Here's the deal... I don't want to have to bathe Pache anymore than necessary but he gets in the fish pond and he reeks!! It don't mind him getting in the pond because thats his place to cool off when hes hot, so keeping him out of it isn't really an option. Would it hurt to spray some of the pet odor eliminator directly onto his fur instead of drying his skin out from so many baths to freshen him up? Or is there something made for just such a purpose that isn't just a "perfumie, cover-up and still stink" spray?

When I took mine down to the lil creek that runs off the lake, they would have a fishy odor to them, so when we got home, I just hosed them off, played some catch to get most of the water off them, and they were fine. Even Cheyenne didn't smell anymore, and she don't have BC fur.

I've tried just the hosing off and so far it hasn't worked. Its hard to describe how he smells but its not really a "fishy" odor. He needs a full fledged bath...besides he's in and out several times a day. Besides overdrying his skin, it just isn't feasable to give that many baths in one day. :rolleyes:

I've cut the baths back to once or twice a month now (and just dealing w/ the stench) because most of the grass has grown back in the yard and he isn't getting as muddy as he did when we first started construction on the house.

The Febreeze website says that it's only for use on bedding or carpet, not for direct use on pets. I hate that because it's such a great product.

According to the Arm & Hammer Baking Soda website, you can give your dog a dry bath with baking soda.

Dry Baths for Dogs

Fido smelling kinda funky? Help dogs stay fresh-smelling by giving them periodic dry baths. Sprinkle ARM & HAMMER? Baking Soda into their fur and rub, then comb or brush it through and out. The ARM & HAMMER? Baking Soda is safe for your pets and a quick way to a fresh dog!

Instead of hosing them off, I keep a stock tank filled with as clean of water as I can manage and make them all get in after big pond days. It doesn't get poo neck smell off but it does cut the fishy smell pretty good. Some even prefer it to the pond now.

If you know of a self-grooming parlor near you, you can ask to go in and use their hose blower. That usually blows all the dirt, grime, dust and dander from their coat, leaving them fresher, and it may help with odor too. Takes a bit for the dog to get used to it, though. I suppose you could use a good, strong, hair dryer too, but I'd worry about the heat drying the hair out. Just be sure your dog is commpletely dry before doing it.

We do it at work for the dogs that get down and dirty playing outside. We can't send them home with a bath every day, and we can't send them home dirty, so the blower works great.