BC Boards

If dogs could cry tears....

I know what you mean, I have a girl in foster right now that was picked up a YEAR ago as feral. She was pregnant and terrified beyond comprehension. She was down at MABCR's facility for 6mos before she trusted one person enough to ask for a pet and a loving. She has been in our home as a foster for over 2 months, until 2.5 weeks ago I couldnt get near her without her stiffening up with fear no matter what I tried. Then I was home sick for a day and for some reason that triggered something in her, now she comes willingly for lovings, gives me kisses, and even will play with me. She is terrified of my 16 yr old son who hasn't done a thing to her. What happened to her as a young dog? She knows some obed, walks like a dream on leash, but has no clue about toys or playing with other dogs...if only the could talk

I believe that there is in fact a message that our pets would like to send us when they make the trip to Rainbow Bridge, a message eloquently expressed by this poem:

Sorrow fills a barren space;

you close your eyes and see my face

and think of times I made you laugh,

the love we shared, the bond we had,

the special way I needed you -

the friendship shared by just we two.

The day's too quiet, the world seems older,

the wind blows now a little colder.

You gaze into the empty air

and look for me, but I'm not there -

I'm in heaven and I watch you,

and I see the world around you too.

I see little souls wearing fur,

souls who bark and souls who purr,

born unwanted and unloved -

I see all this and more above -

I watch them suffer, I see them cry,

I see them lost, I watch them die.

I see unwanted thousands born -

and when they die, nobody mourns.

These little souls wearing fur

(some who bark and some who purr)

are castaways who - unlike me -

will never know love or security.

A few short months they starve and roam,

or caged in shelters - nobody takes home.

They're special too (furballs of pleasure),

filled with love, and each one a treasure.

My pain and suffering came to an end,

so don't cry for me, my person, my friend.

But think of the living - those souls with fur

(some who bark and some who purr) -

And though our bond can't be broken apart,

make room for another in your home and your heart.

Caro Schubert-James

Pat- Your foster sounds a lot like my Jackson. Found as a feral stray 20 miles from the closest paved road in rural Colorado. It took my friend a full day of luring with food and water before she was able to catch him. Once she got him (he was lame from a badly absessed paw) the other dog followed her. I doubt they were totally feral because they warmed up to her with a few weeks, but either way, they were 20 miles from an easy drop off and 200 miles from a town with a post office. Those dogs didn't get there without help. He had so many burrs and embedded burrs/barbs/foxtails that my friend had to handle him for hours every night, looking for more absesses and knots under the skin. I think that is why they adjusted so well. But even now he still is very wary of men, has certain behavior and quirks that just aren't "normal" for any dog. But he loved to be held and petted so much that any fear from a stranger isn't as bad as being ignored. Once we started a huge socialization plan for him he has been a dream dog. Polite, gentle, curious. I know his triggers and his signs and he has complete confidence that I'll back him up.

I just look at him and wonder all the time, just what happened and why did no one care. And he looks at me like he's trying to ask why do I care so much (Or something less nice like..."Wow, she is such an easy mark. She doesn't know that I just ran away from home") Either way, we are to the point that I can judge my mood better by watching him than listening to myself.

The biggest saddest brown eyes I ever saw were from our late great "Chin". He was a pug mix and lived for 13 years. We loved him to death and did everything we could for him in the end. But one day when he was clearly in pain, he looked up at me and...."if dogs could cry tears".... I'll never forget it. He saved us from the decision of putting him to sleep when one morning shortly after this, he just fell asleep and never woke up. Still miss him. Uhhh... I have to go get a tissue now.

Georgia

This is exactly the instance where my family thinks we experienced a little miracle with our rescue, Petey.

I remember when Petey was an adolescent and he was giving not only my family, but also our trainer/behaviourist, problems. I remember our whole family being so confused about what to do with our little master of disobedience. One day after a very awful session with the trainer, he came to where my stepfather and I were talking about where to go next with our dog. He came in and sat in front of the couch, giving us the saddest eyes this little puppy has ever given us. "If dogs could cry tears" I think he'd be saying, "I know I can be bad but I'm trying, please don't give up on me."

My stepdad decided to get rid of our trainer, she was NOT happy and she, as well as the rest of my family, didn't understand why. Something changed that day, something in the look of our little dog. I mean, he wasn't perfect - no, wait, he is :rolleyes:

K.

Hi everyone!

I know what you mean about the expressions of the eyes. Sometimes I look at my little Ed and could get lost in the depth of his eyes. They can be so wild and playful then so loving and understanding! Not so long ago Ed chased a fox through a neighbours' fence....and another one....and another one....and another one. He'd got that carried away chasing the fox that he couldn't remember how to get back. It took over an hour to get him back. He was sopping wet, cold and absolutely filthy....but his eyes said, "I'm soooooorry........love you!" Well...what could I do! :rolleyes:

xx