BC Boards

Altering a male BC

My BC has now learned to escape from the fenced yard and has taken off several times on his own hike. Last night he got out and chased a coyote. He comes back directly, I keep pretty close tabs on my dogs so I know if they got away sometimes within minutes. He so far comes back directly either when he is out of breath or hears me call him. He doesn't show any obvious signs he is looking to mate but will fight with my other bc who was in tact until he was 2.

What are your thoughts on altering him.

I guess my only real question is, why not? Unless you plan on breeding him (I hope not), too many unwanted dogs already, and that includes "purebred dogs". Having him neutered is also a plus for his health, especially as he ages. Talk to your vet.

I have had both of my BC boy's neutered, and all my girls spayed, and always will.

You will probably get lots of feedback on this question, and most all are likely to be pro neuter, but either way, bottom line... it is a very simple procedure for male dogs and the younger and healthier they are the quicker they bounce (literally), back.

I highly recommend neutering..please.

Well I would second the neutering advice, for pet overpopulation and aggression reasons, but I don't know how effective it will be to curb the escaping. How old is your dog and how high is the fence?

My girl easily jumps a 5ft fence if separated from me; it has nothing to do with hormones in her case as she's spayed and has been for years.

he is two and half, I have heard both sides of the question regarding neutering and will probably do it after I capture his sperm (he is a fabulous dog). My question was whether I could explain his behavior or do something else to keep him from escaping other than kenneling him all the time. thanks for the responses..

Umm why is your dog 'fabulous' enough to breed? Please be sure to read the "Read this first" page at the top of this board to understand the veiwpoint of this board, which supports the breeding of dogs only for working ability and no other trait. A search for breeding should also give you some food for thought.

On the escaping topic - it sounds like your dog could be heavily reinforced for escape by chasing or any number of other things. The best way to prevent this behavior is to make it impossible to escape, either by building a taller fence, obstructing the visual triggers that lead to escape (coyotes, etc.), or supervising whenever your dog is in the yard.

How tall and what type of fence does your yard have?

Another question - what does this dog do all day? If he's just hanging out with nothing to do, then the thrill of going for a run is going to keep him going over your fence. Neutering won't change his need for a mental and physical workout.

If you don't do consistently do something with your bc that interests him, (herding, agility, tracking, trick training, etc) then he'll find his own job. I read a great thing the other day, "If you don't give your dog a job to do, then he'll become self-employed!" And that goes double for a border collie.

And, if he's out running around, he could get hit by a car or shot for harassing livestock. Or killed by a larger predator.

Ruth n the BC3

he does so much he has his own website www.k9basketball.com. I have had to cut back on his activities (we have our own sheep) since I had to work this last few months. But he still gets more sheep and other training time than most dogs I know. He could be bored but I notice he is only doing it at night. last night at 1 Am I let him out because he was barking and I made the mistake of laying back down. I realized he was out and sure enough he escaped. I had to get in the truck and go find him. As soon as he heard the truck he came out of the brush and jumped in. I know it is dangerous, I just don't want to rush to alter him and find out it was not the cause.

Bart is very handsome, and I'm sure he's a fabulous companion, but rescues and shelters are full of dogs that could be brilliant, fabulous companions.

Border collies should be bred only if they are fabulous working stockdogs---not merely the descendants of working dogs, even Pulfer-bred dogs---and that means proving themselves on stock at the USBCHA Open trials level. This is the only way to preserve all the great qualities we admire in the breed: the brains and the athleticism, to name just a couple. Yes, there are people with years of experience using working dogs on livestock who are qualified to determine whether an untrialled ranch dog deserves to be bred. But those people probably number in the dozens, and you and I don't count among them.

Could Bart contribute anything to the border collie breed? Send him (or take him) to a good trainer for a month or two, and you'll get an honest opinion. And in the meantime, keep a close eye on him---a loose dog is a dog at risk of being hit by a car, harmed by strangers, attacked by other dogs, etc., etc.

The best way to prevent this behavior is to make it impossible to escape, either by building a taller fence, obstructing the visual triggers that lead to escape (coyotes, etc.), or supervising whenever your dog is in the yard.
Amen. A roomy, covered kennel run might be the way to go.

Sounds like the problem is at night, when the dog's getting restless. By letting him outside you're allowing him to continue the behavior - escaping, plus he's rewarding himself for being restless at night. What I'd do instead: if the dog gets restless, put him in his crate to sleep. Dog needs to learn that bedtime means sleep. It may take a while, and I know how frustrating it can get, trying to sleep. But if you consistently ignore the behavior it WILL go away. Our dogs now immediately lay down when the lights are all turned off, no lie - even mid-day naps, I lay down and they settle and take a nap with me.

As for breeding, I'm not even going to bother getting into that, the others have said it all.

Another helpful tip - if your dog barks to go out, don't take him out unless it's on lead. I bet that bark Bart gave meant he saw or heard soemthing outside he wanted to investigate and thus by letting him out off lead you allowed him to do just that. His reward for going over the fence is going to be about 10 times stronger than anything you can offer at that point.

If you can't trust your dog in the yard at night, leash him for potty breaks after nightfall, it's just that simple!