BC Boards

Chewing everything!

Lately we've found that everything that we buy for Shasta she destroys. We can't get her any "stuffies" because she shreds them. We bought her a nice new dog bed, and she pulled out all of the stuffing. She's also taken to pulling out the stuffing in the comforter. She's almost two. Please tell me that she'll grow out of this...I hate having a dog with no toys.

Is there anything out there that anyone's found that can't be easily destroyed? She's fine if we're supervising, but watch out if you walk away! It will be destroyed, or worse, eaten...

Kongs stuffed with stuff - kibble mixed in with cream cheese or peanut butter is great.

Holey roller toys are PRETTY indestructible - but with such a known consumer of good, just keep to the edibles.

And...perhaps a crate when she's not under direct supervision? (Beds? well, sometimes an old towel or a pile of clean rags is just as comfy as that expensive bed....)

To each her own of course, but my vet dentist HATES hooves! (then again, he's not a rural kind of guy...)

diane

My first thought...is she bored?

If not, well when I go out I give Daisy Arron's Natural Beef Chews. They are similar to rawhide but in the shape of bulley sticks, i don't actually think it's hide though because she gets sick on raw hide, but not these. They are pretty thick and hard enough to chew through that one 9" stick will keep her occupied for about 6-8 hours. (I spit up the chew time and take it away for a day or two before she gets it again) Kongs are great filled with stuff...our choice is peanut butter and kibble or treats, we have two to use if we are going out for the day. Also, you can go to the butcher and get soup bones...

But don't worry too much, we have tonnes of stuffies that are no longer stuffed. The SECOND they have a hole in them, her head is in it taking out the stuffing! I buy them at Value Village and wash them pre-play toy. It beats paying $15 for a toy for "Strong chewers"...

I've got one too, Shiner's a major chewer, he was even missing a tooth when I got him. He's chewed my tempurpedic matress, four comforters, pillows, any toy or bedding I buy for the dogs, wires...bones that last the shelties hours, he eats in minutes. If it lasts the shelties weeks, he eats it in days. He eats rocks, anything. He's pooped out pieces of fabric that I don't even know where they came from. Last week he vomited up a stuffed animal in his crate, well, the shell of it, and pooped the stuffing for days. Fortunately bitter apple spray worked wonders on the wires (and I sprayed it on tons of other stuff, even the bed), and he only chews when unsupervised. Double fortunately, he likes his crate, and since the stuffie incident, which we're very lucky he didn't have a blockage, he is in there any time I don't have my eye on him. He hasn't managed to do any damage to the black kong, so that's what he gets in his crate, and nothing else. But that's his one and only behavior problem, so I can't complain too much. I have no idea if they grow out of it...I hope so, it would be nice if he could be uncrated with my shelties. Anyway, in the meantime, bitter apple and black kong, that's my advise.

I've got one too, Shiner's a major chewer, he was even missing a tooth when I got him. He's chewed my tempurpedic matress, four comforters, pillows, any toy or bedding I buy for the dogs, wires...bones that last the shelties hours, he eats in minutes. If it lasts the shelties weeks, he eats it in days. He eats rocks, anything. He's pooped out pieces of fabric that I don't even know where they came from. Last week he vomited up a stuffed animal in his crate, well, the shell of it, and pooped the stuffing for days. Fortunately bitter apple spray worked wonders on the wires (and I sprayed it on tons of other stuff, even the bed), and he only chews when unsupervised. Double fortunately, he likes his crate, and since the stuffie incident, which we're very lucky he didn't have a blockage, he is in there any time I don't have my eye on him. He hasn't managed to do any damage to the black kong, so that's what he gets in his crate, and nothing else. But that's his one and only behavior problem, so I can't complain too much. I have no idea if they grow out of it...I hope so, it would be nice if he could be uncrated with my shelties. Anyway, in the meantime, bitter apple and black kong, that's my advise.

Sounds exactly like mine. We have a few indestructible toys - we also have a golden retriever who can chew up anything in minutes as well. I hope he grows out of it - it's making me crazy. But he's so damn cute...Jack is only 9 months old so...I'm in the same boat as you.

Please tell me that she'll grow out of this...I hate having a dog with no toys.

She might, but Quinn is the same way at almost three. The only toys I leave loose are good sized Nylabones since those take a long time to wear down. Kongs and a variety of "chew resistant" toys stand no chance against him. A large number of fetch, tug and squeaky toys are put up and only come out when I supervise. The Lhasa's soft bedding is kept safe in his crate. I miss having the cute stuffed toys around the house but mainly for my other two dogs. Quinn would only destroy them in minutes. He isn't missing much.

Lately we've found that everything that we buy for Shasta she destroys. We can't get her any "stuffies" because she shreds them. We bought her a nice new dog bed, and she pulled out all of the stuffing. She's also taken to pulling out the stuffing in the comforter. She's almost two. Please tell me that she'll grow out of this...I hate having a dog with no toys.

Is there anything out there that anyone's found that can't be easily destroyed? She's fine if we're supervising, but watch out if you walk away! It will be destroyed, or worse, eaten...

I have the same proplem (8mos).Try giving her Balls 5inch soft rubber Petsmart. Mine has 6 of them keeps her occupied most of the day, just pushing them around and I kick them for her from time to time.It seem to bring out the herding instinct.She quite often uses the stuffies to push the balls around. Good Luck

When Chesney hit about 6-8 months old he became very good at chewing on things even if they were not his (i.e. my shin guards, destuffing my comforter) Crating him helped when he wasn't supervised. I also found that when I got rid of the toys all together that he could destroy those activities stopped. I don't really have any toys for Chesney other than a frisbee that's mine and only he can play with it with me. Otherwise there are durable nylabones around the house if he wants them.

My golden white lab cross is 12 yrs old and she is a MEGA chewer. Tennis balls if left near her are shredded. She has destroyed stuffies, balls and yes even a kong. She has teeth that are down almost to the gum line. I have to limit her chewy stuff. Sam, bc, destroys stuffies as well. He isn't bad about destroying other toys. When they get a cow hoof, Libby's will get really small and then it is gone. Sam's cow hoof will get smaller but he takes his good sweet time about it. I like the big nylon ball that gave out treats ever so often. My only issue with it was it got to were I couldn't find the treats to fit in it anymore. That is the only ball that has ever survived the MEGA chewer. It is just too big for her to get her mouth on so she is forced to work it with her paws.

I used to feel guilty about not giving Willow (she'll be 11 in June) a dog bed, but frankly, I got tired of her destroying them. My dogs never get stuffed toys any more, and they generally manage to destroy even those items labeled for heavy chewers. Willow has been known to chew holes in blankets while they are *on my bed* and I'm sleeping under them! I can't even put towels down in Willow's or Phoebe's crates when they're wet because the towels will be destroyed (unless I'm right there watching). So dogs like Willow and Phoebe have to sleep in their crates with no padding underneath. Blankets and such that Willow has chewed holes in become dog beds, and I keep using them until Willow has chewed them to the point of no return. (I do try to avoid letting them have anything like fabric, foam, etc. for fear that they will ingest it, get blocked, and require extremely expensive emergency surgery). Because of the chewers, no one really has a dog bed in the house, but that's okay, because there's plenty of couch space and so far no one has shown an inclination to chew the couches (hmmm....maybe I should knock on wood). The main chew item my dogs get is cow hooves (plain, unstuffed, not smoked). When they get small enough, I just toss them and get some more. Yes, they smell bad while they're being chewed, but so far none has become a health hazard, they're cheap, and their destruction doesn't leave crap all over the house for me to pick up (just watch out if you step on one with bare feet).

With the three youngsters I have to be ever vigilant, especially if they're just hanging out in the house while I work. I like to keep barn shoes near both front and back doors for quick trips out to deal with livestock issues and the like, and if I'm not constantly watching, the youngsters will take them and chew them. Pip is also fond of flowerpots and anything else that might be left on the porch....

J.

Durable nylabones, black kongs, busy buddy football by premier, turnup by ruff wear, lacrosse balls and jolly balls for toys. Kuranda bed for sleeping - or the Orvis ones they replace if they get destroyed. Good luck, I know how this feels. :rolleyes:

My two dogs favorite toy is the Everlasting Fun Ball by Triple Crown. They have not destroyed them yet though every single other toy has been! It's a bit softer than the Kongs so they seem to like it better. There is also a hole in it so that you can put treats in it, and as an added bonus it bounces really well.

My two dogs favorite toy is the Everlasting Fun Ball by Triple Crown. They have not destroyed them yet though every single other toy has been! It's a bit softer than the Kongs so they seem to like it better. There is also a hole in it so that you can put treats in it, and as an added bonus it bounces really well.

We like those too, but be careful, they are not nearly as sturdy as kongs and nylabones. My dog took the whole rim off the everlasting treat ball (luckily I caught her as she was starting to eat it), and our everlasting fun ball has a piece missing too. But they are FUN and bcs seem very stimulated by the fun balls as they bounce!

My BC mix, Baxter, is very gentle with all his toys. However, his little sister, Bonnie - the aussie, has nice teeth and knows how to use them. She destroys most plush or soft toys. She has already chewed holes in the two toys he won last weekend at his agility trial. The best toys for her are JW isqueak balls - http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Insig...d/dp/B000MCXXZU

I order them from amazon.com. I orginally found them at petsmart, but can not find them there now - they work really well as a training tool. She also likes latex toys - of course with her they have to squeak. She is blind in one eye and has limited vision in the other. Bonnie has somehow learned the difference between my stuff and the dog stuff. She no longer pulls my blanket back to crawl in the bed and rip up sheets. And she no longer chews up her doggie beds. The kongs are a pretty good option as well.

post-8400-1206925539_thumb.jpg

Here is Bonnie!

post-8400-1206925822_thumb.jpg

And Bonnie, the destroyer, in action with Christmas toy from her mother-in-law.

post-8400-1206926738_thumb.jpg

Baxter as a puppy gently playing with his stuffed cow on the stairs.

Mel, Bonnie, and the Baxter

I thought you all might enjoy this....it's what happened when DH left Shiner uncrated while we were both at work for 8 hours....I'm pretty pleased actually, because it's only a dog bed. Could have been so much worse....

DSCN1277-1.jpg

That's hilarious! My parents dog used to wait for the mailman to put the mail thru the door slot, grab it and destroy it. If they didn't get to it first there would be shredded mail all over the house.

Jack gets a blanket in his crate but he chews holes in it and eats the fabric - I have no idea why. I'd never give him anything stuffed, I already made that mistake and it cost me a vet visit to fix it.