BC Boards

Purebred Border Collie?

Just got this guy from the pound. He was labeled a "border collie mix" but I think he might be pure. I'd like to get ILP papers on him so I could do rally/agility. What does the crowd here think? ILP-able? Here are more pictures. He is not heavy boned at all; that must just be the pictures. He's actually quite petite and light; not at all "heavy" like labs or springers. His tail does not have a crook; its straight.

CodyintheYard027.jpg

CodyintheYard030.jpg

CodyintheYard022.jpg

He is super cute and I'd say he definitely has border collie in him...but with those ears I doubt he is purebred.

ETA: After seeing the picture again and reading Paula's post, I suppose he might be an aussie mix instead. Hard to tell. His head is more boxy, but his eyes seem border collie-ish to me. <shrug>

I understand breed curiosity...having shelled out $65 for a test that told me the black dog in my signature picture is a chihuahua...but if you just want to ILP him, you probably can get away with border collie. If that doesn't work, just try again as an aussie. Better yet, you can support the rally and agility organizations that do not require fake determinations of "purity"...

Very cute! I'm not a good breed-guesser, though. How old do you think he is?

reddog.jpg

(I reposted here since it wasn't easy to see the image from Snapfish)

If he has a tail, yiu should have no problem ILPing him asa BC; but...you could do all kinds of agility USDAA, NADAC, CPE, ASCA, UKC wthout going the ILP (AKC) route. I think UKC also does Rally.

Barb S

Lets think outside the BC box for a minuet. Just because he has the markings???? I see Lab/Springer Spaniel. Look at the size and shape of his feet. Ears. Nose. Broadness of the chest and shoulders. I too would like to see a pic of him standing.

He might be part Springer Spanial. His eyes look gentle. I once asked someone about BC eyes when looking at an agility photo. Do BCs always have that "look" when working. They replied you mean that "crazy, manic, demented look"? Well, not exactly, but usually they look very intense. Show the pup a ball or sheep and send us another picture. Regardless, he is very cute!

Mel, Bonnie, and the Baxter.

He looks very wide-chested and boxy. I see Springer Spaniel in him, like it pops right out at me!

I wouldn't doubt for a moment if there was BC in him, my BCX looks almost nothing like a Border Collie, I mean you could see it if you knew beforehand, but not many people guess it first if they aren't very familiar with the breed.

Your dog definitely goes to show all the shapes and varieties in this breed!

that last pic sure screams spaniel mix to me, and with that short tail, and wide ears a bit of lab, wouldnt surprise me a bit. He looks to have a lot of heavy bone and heavy muscling to. To short a back, even as stacked out as he is, to have the look of anything less than a hunting dog.

Yes Barb, Sp.Spans that are liver and white can and most often do have amber or yellow eyes.

I reckon the best thing to say in this instance is the same thing I tell my clients when they want to try to get a price quoted on their husky mix but call it a BC because its black and white, "Its your dog, so it can be anything you want it to be." (Their still gonna pay the husky price though.)

He sure resembles some working-bred Aussies that I have seen - not too much coat, short or non-existent tail, deep chest, tucked waist, heavier front end and lighter hind end. I would anticipate seeing more feathering with spaniel in there but, one never knows.

I don't see anything that says "Border Collie" to me and, were I to be interested in an ILP on this dog, I'd try Aussie. The determination of ILP can be capricious at best. I'd forget the ILP and just go for other venues than AKC.

He looks very sweet and I wish you both the very best! Thank you for saving him from the pound. I think he makes your name, Aussiedog, very appropriate.

Well, I read through this thread AFTER I guessed his breed mix and I too thought BC / Springer mix immediately. Could be right or could be wrong but Im almost certain his lineage has at least a mix of a Great Dog in him somewhere :rolleyes: What a good lookin pooch you have there!

I've seen some pure bred Border Collies with pretty short tails, but that really doesn't matter. I don't think he is all Border Collie. I don't know enough about hunting dogs to comment on their builds.

Does it matter what he is registered as with the AKC if he is just getting his ILP? Register him as whatever breed you think will easily get him his ILP. Who cares what breed your dog is as long as they are good at whatever you want to do with them and you both enjoy it...

My friends who do AKC Agility honestly thought I would have no trouble ILP'ing this dog as a purebred Border Collie:

MaddieLounging.jpg

Personally, I've never seen a dog that looks more like a Lab mix, but somehow they see purebred Border Collie when they look at her.

I did not try and chose to do CPE with her instead.

I think that your dog looks enough like a purebred Border Collie to ILP. You might have more trouble with Aussie because of the tail, even though I know Aussies can certainly have tails.