BC Boards

Wanted: New Dog help in Michigan

trex

I just found this website today and am amazed. We live on a farm in the "Thumb" of Michigan and have about 60 ewes right now. I just got our first border collie. TRex is 10 months old and has been worked on with basic commands. I am looking for help--either training dvds, books, or people close to me. My husband and I have always lived on a farm, but sheep and border collies are new to us.

I have been reading about using "dogbroke" sheep to start a dog. Most of ours were born on our farm and haven't been exposed to a herding dog (we use Great Pyrenees for guarding). If anyone is able to guide us in the right direction or know somewhere we can take TRex to train we would greatly appreciate it!!!!

Check out this link. www.altapetestockdogs.com & go to the clinics section. Scott Glen is doing several training clinics in Michigan this spring. Great trainer & wonderful clinic hosts. These fill quickly so call soon if you're interested.

Good luck!

Lori Cunningham

Milton, PA

quote name='trex' date='Mar 27 2008, 03:53 PM' post='226738']

I just found this website today and am amazed. We live on a farm in the "Thumb" of Michigan and have about 60 ewes right now. I just got our first border collie. TRex is 10 months old and has been worked on with basic commands. I am looking for help--either training dvds, books, or people close to me. My husband and I have always lived on a farm, but sheep and border collies are new to us.

I have been reading about using "dogbroke" sheep to start a dog. Most of ours were born on our farm and haven't been exposed to a herding dog (we use Great Pyrenees for guarding). If anyone is able to guide us in the right direction or know somewhere we can take TRex to train we would greatly appreciate it!!!!

Your dog is still very young and bad experiences and/or bad habits learned now can create lasting impressions. You would be best served to try to hook up with an experienced trainer so that both you and your dog get off on the right foot.

You can also check out the USBCHA site at www.usbcha.com & go to the sheepdog page/upcoming trials section. Contact info for several Michigan sheepdog trials is posted. Trial hosts are another good place to start to try to find some good guidance. If you can attend some trials, you'll meet plenty of other possible sources of help.

Lori Cunningham

Some good videos are the Glyn Jones series- its a set of three on DVDs that goes from the basics to advanced. You can find it at bordercollies.com

Derek Scrimgeour has some nice videos out as well, and can be found at the same website, along with many others.

Books and videos are good, but its nice to find someone by you that can give advice, especially if you run into a problem that books and videos just don't cover.

Samantha

I just read your question in regards to a trainer or help with your border collie in Michigan.

I live in the southwest part of the state and go to a trainer near Williamston, MI. Her name

is Jeanne Weaver. She is very nice and knowledgeable. You can reach her at

(517) 468-2246 or weaver3@tds.net

Kathy

• 1 month later...

Hi, I just found this board and I will be making a few posts concerning goose dogs but I discovered your post. You have been directed to a Scot Glen clinic and that is a great idea. Scot is a friend of mine. I have a dog from his dog Jed. I can tell you that Scot is one of the top trainers in the world today and his dogs are among the best. My wife and I just moved to southern Ontario from Alberta. I am a trainer but we are not quite ready to go yet. If you are not able to get into a Scot clinic let me suggest that you contact Alvin Kopp also of Alberta and aquire his training DVD's. For a working farm dog you can conduct much of the training yourself and it is fun. Alvin's DVD's would be very helpful. If you cannot find Alvin email me and I will help. Please feel free to contacy me at any time. I have worked with Scot, Alvin and George Stambulic and I am not far away. Good luck and have fun with your dog. By the way it will take your sheep no time to be broke.