BC Boards

Vacuum Cleaners

Well my ex is moving out here soon, and with him goes the treasured vacuum cleaner. I am going to have to buy a vacuum very soon, but am needing one for one main thing...HAIR!!!

I have my BC, a Sheltie, and a longhaired Siamese cat so we have some hair flying all the time! I am wanting to know from you all's experiences which vacuum works best on pet hair, whats easy to carry around, and what works good for both hard surfaces and carpet (downstairs is tile).

The vacuum I have been using was a Rainbow (very old brand that works great) the only problem with it is you had to fill it with water and it could be a pain to lug around. That and the price tag is definitely not affordable right now!

Any suggestions on brands that work particularly well for pet hair???

I love my vaccuum cleaner! It's a Bissell Lift-Off Revolution. The didn't have the pet hair ones when I got this one, so I would only assume that their pet hair ones are FANTASTIC.

Here is the link...

http://www.bissell.com/Products/c/UprightV...m/Category.aspx

The best part is that the HEPA filter is the only one you have to buy because you get and extra set of the other two filters and they are reusable. I have had mine for 2 years and it runs like magic!

I actually tried to enter my Sheltie in the contest to win the pet hair vacuum..but I dont have mass email addresses to send off for so I didnt get enough votes to win :rolleyes:

Its affordable but didnt know if it worked great as they say it does. Thanks for the input! =) I will look into the Bissells for sure.

Ha, I was in the same situation as you, my ex took the Kirby and here I am with a BC and two shelties. I have the Bissell pet hair vac too, the $169 one. It's good enough for the price. It picks up alot of hair, it's no Kirby, but it didn't cost $1000 either. The Kirby was too heavy and the bags were hard to find anyway. I like the bagless vacs now, but I miss the shampooer attachment.

it's no Kirby, but it didn't cost $1000 either.

We had one of those for about 15 years I bet you! It was a beast!

My aunt has the same one as I do without the extra upholstry attachments and she likes her's too. Enough to go and buy one of their carpet shampooers, which by the way, if you're in the market for one are also worth the money!

We had one of those for about 15 years I bet you! It was a beast!

My aunt has the same one as I do without the extra upholstry attachments and she likes her's too. Enough to go and buy one of their carpet shampooers, which by the way, if you're in the market for one are also worth the money!

The Bissell carpet shampooer? I'm totally in the market for one! I just borrowed the Kirby shampooer from the ex after we had a round of dire rear here...I absolutely need my own.

The Bissell carpet shampooer? I'm totally in the market for one! I just borrowed the Kirby shampooer from the ex after we had a round of dire rear here...I absolutely need my own.

Yup! Bissell has a carpet shampooer. I think she got it at COSTCO a couple of years ago when the bought their house. So it's done their old house, the new one 2 times, mine 3 times and a couple others so it's paid for it's self and despite the weight of it, is pretty easy to maneuver.

Miele! 3 BCs, a long-haired cat and tons of stuff tracked inside with the back door open all winter and spring. Two Hoover uprights and two Kenmores died after about 2 years each and I was tired of replacing them. I was told that it makes a big difference if you make sure to clean the hair off the roller brush, they don't burn out as quickly (oops). So I bought the Miele, yes it's $700 but it's so quiet you barely hear it and I love it and it heels better than any dog!

Suzanne

oh gosh! i couldnt afford a expensive one right now.. $200 and cheaper would probably be a better range as of now. My place is not very big either..its a 800+ sq foot condo so the vacuum wont just be running forever. I just want something that picks up hair pretty well..that and the normal "BC mess" that gets drug inside from outside :rolleyes:

I have a pair of Roombas. (4000 series refurbs, about $100 each) I LOVE them. They're vacumming right now, actually. I HATE vacumming, but with 4+ dogs, 2 cats and lots of sand being tracked in, I need something. And like I said, I hate to vacuum, so if it's me not vacuuming or the Roombas doing it, they do a much better job.

Danielle

I do not like my Dyson Animal-for the $500 spent on it. That said, it is great on rugs but on bare floors there's a fan that blows out from the side and it blows the hairs away from the machine in to tumbleweed that you just end up either chasing around with the vacuum, as it keeps rolling away or I just stop and pick it up.

I do not like my Dyson Animal-for the $500 spent on it. That said, it is great on rugs but on bare floors there's a fan that blows out from the side and it blows the hairs away from the machine in to tumbleweed that you just end up either chasing around with the vacuum, as it keeps rolling away or I just stop and pick it up.

ooo thanks for letting me know that! My friend recommended that type, but since I have tile floors on the downstairs I definitely need something that works great on tile (the dog crates are downstairs sitting on the tile too)

Not to offend anyone :rolleyes: but your ex is taking the vacuum cleaner???? I don't believe I have ever seen a man use one .... :D

Ailsa

LMAO it is his parents' vacuum (not that they ever used it either..I wont go into the state of that house)...so now I will have to fork out the money to buy my own =( such a shame that that vacuum is now going to sit and collect dust when I need to use one so often..just cant afford that big old vacuum myself though

We had a mid range Bissel bag less for a while then we were sucked into a Kirby - those damn door to door salesman!!! The Bissell did fairly well for about 2 years, I think I only paid like $129 for it.

FTR - the Kirby has already paid for itself w/the shampoo attachment, we shampoo our carpets easily about 1x a month - definitely needed w/6 dogs in the house, especially during winter!

OK not to push the Bissell or anything, (I don't work for them) I have heard great things about the Dyson too, but the canister and hose for the Bissell comes off the body and has a shoulder strap so you can do your stairs, curtains, couch, car..whatever without lugging the whole fricken body around. That is a bonus for me as I have two flights of stairs in my house!