BC Boards

our new pup is eating his p...

Our new puppy has diarrhea .

We suspect it might be stress, or the fact that he has his inoculations two days ago.

but he wants to eat it ...and his breath smell awfull :rolleyes:

I've given him two tablespoons of yogurt this morning and this evening.

Should I give him some rice water ?

is he missing something important ...he is eating his stool ??

Lots of dogs will eat their stool, some for seemingly no reason at all except that they like it. In your case, it sounds like he is trying to clean up after himself. I doubt he is missing any essentially dietary elements. I have heard the best remedy for diarrhea is to withhold food for a day or so. I would just make sure any accidents are cleaned up right away to prevent him trying to clean up himself.

Lots of dogs will eat their stool, some for seemingly no reason at all except that they like it. In your case, it sounds like he is trying to clean up after himself. I doubt he is missing any essentially dietary elements. I have heard the best remedy for diarrhea is to withhold food for a day or so. I would just make sure any accidents are cleaned up right away to prevent him trying to clean up himself.

I'm worried about withholding food from such a tiny creature ... he is drinking well and requests food.

I'm worried about withholding food from such a tiny creature ... he is drinking well and requests food.

Understandable . . . I'm certainly no vet, that's just what I've heard. I agree with sweet_ceana. I would probably call the vet if it goes on more than a day or so. If he wasn't eating or drinking I would call right away.

I've made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning .

I have no experience with puppies , so I better play safe .

I hope she has suggestions for his bad breath as well, I hate to say it but it makes me nauseous :rolleyes:

Both my two had a horrible smelling puppy breath when i got them, it lasted a few weeks actually. Holly's seemed worse than Zac but maybe it was because i had smelt it before and so it didn't seem too bad. So maybe that is the smell. If that is what it is it is a funny smell but it does just disappear by itself.

My neighbour had problems with her puppy having a lot of diarreah and the vet advised to just feed small amounts of egg and rice, they thought that she might have a chicken allergy and so that is what she fed her for a while until her tummy settled. Not saying that is what is causing your pups upset tummy just that is what they recommended feeding her. I would definately go to the vet though to get him checked out which i see you are doing. Hopefully it is just a settling in/ vaccination upset tummy and he will settle down soon.

Let us know how it goes.

Aww I am sure the breath is related to the tum thing and will go away

Also little puppies breath smells like what they have just eaten - so if its runny poo - ewwwww!

I am sure he will be fine - prob just like you said stress and the innoculations

My wee guy had the dire - rear the 1st 2 nights I had him home and the 1st weekend it was comming out of both ends and he wasnt eating

but that only lasted a day - by the time I called the vet he was OK again - and he didnt eat for a day (his choice my (non dog loving) bofriend mixed food with water to make a liquid food and sat with a spoon and tried to feed him) and at that time he weighed less than 4lb

Being a new pup is stressfull on them and some dogs just have more sensitive tums than others

Difficult to say but dont worry - the vet will put your mind at ease and you wee guy will be back to himself in no time

and if he is eating that is always a good sign

well , we've been to the vet.

he has a sore throat, infected

he has an infection on his eye

his stomach is bloated

he's underweight

he needs to be dewormed again

i had to buy the food he's been having at the breeder

I have to give him three solid meals a day and one meals of yogurt mixed with special childrens biscuits

he is not getting antibiotics yet , she wants to see if he can fight it of himself first

she said not to give rice because she's seen dogs that react badly to it..beter to have what he's used to so it won't upset further.

so i'm treating his eyes and tummy now and then we wait and see a few days.

poor little fellow !!! :rolleyes:

oh I forgot,

he is most likely eating his poo because he wasn't getting enough nutrients . his food went through his digestive system to fast .

and the smell : she calls it puppy breath and says it smells wonderful :rolleyes: , I'm just sensitive to it ......

Aww, poor guy. Hopefully he get better fast.

As a side note, if you do switch his food again, make sure you do it slowly my mixing the old and the new together gradually until you are feeding only the new. This can cause great upset in a dogs digestive tract. Not always, but some are more sensitive than others. I have heard before about dogs eating their stool if they aren't getting enough nutrients, and that makes sense. But some dogs just eats it for no apparent reason to me. I talked to our vet about it and they said some dogs will do it as sort of a defence mechanisim so that predators can't smell them. And truth be told, Daisy will eat it if something's been in our back yard and i'm not paying attention to what exactly she's doing!

julie

Yes, pineapple does stop them from eating their poo, or give it to your cats to stop your dogs from eating their poo too. Worked great for my chihuahua hehe.. none of the vets' powders or serums worked at all, but the pineapple did!

When Shadow was little and had dire-poopie problems we gave her rice and canned pumpkin, worked like a charm. Never heard of rice causing internal problems in dogs, all of my vets have recommended it.

Yes, pineapple does stop them from eating their poo, or give it to your cats to stop your dogs from eating their poo too. Worked great for my chihuahua hehe.. none of the vets' powders or serums worked at all, but the pineapple did!

If you do give pineapple, make sure it's crushed. Large chunks can pass through mostly undigested, and may attract your dog for a second go-round. Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

his stomach is bloated

he's underweight

Didn't you just pick your puppy up from the breedervery recently? He's very young to be having all those health issues if he came from a decent breeder. Have you contacted your breeder to let her know?

Wow, what a breeder. And the pup looks like it's only about 5 weeks old in the picture you posted yesterday. :rolleyes:

yes the puppy was born on Januari 30th.

We picked him up two days ago.

When I asked if I should give the puppy rice or rice water , our vet said she had lost confidence in the remedy because she had puppies that did not react well to it.

we don't have canned pumpkin in our country, does it have to be canned ?

When we received the puppies food from the breeder I mixed it with another puppy food to avoid a complete change. But now the vet advised not to do that. So I've traveled a few towns further to find a place that sells it. so hopefully he'll be ok.

he's been eating very well !! and drinking !

When Shadow was little and had dire-poopie problems we gave her rice and canned pumpkin, worked like a charm. Never heard of rice causing internal problems in dogs, all of my vets have recommended it.

great! now if the problem ever arises I know that the pineapple should work!!! =) I just love home remedies =)

I just got a call from the breeder , she was in tears. The other puppies from that litter are fine. So she is very upset and asked if we wanted another one. I said no way! We love the little guy !

We'll just take super good care of him !!!!!

Guest blastoff

his stomach is bloated

he's underweight

If you only picked your pup up two days ago he was in this condition when you got him. If he has an eye infection and worms, so do all of the other puppies.

Yep mine has always suggested it too, well the rice bit. With my previous dog it was chicken and rice. I think it is much lighter than kibble for an upset tummy. My Holly has a sensitive tummy and as a pup we had to change foods several times until we realised that she was not very good on chicken based kibble. She has a hypoallergenic food now and that is for a sensitive tummy, it is lamb and rice and she does really well on it. If she is poorly because of the chicken thing we give her egg and rice and she has been ok with that.

Anyway i am glad that you went to the vet. He does seem to have a few conditions considering you have only had him for two days though. Poor little boy.

I hope he feels better soon.

Our little girl was eating her poos when we first got her… She however didn’t have any upset stomach and all was quite normal with her. Since she was well fed and seemed healthy the vet suggested that it’s a learned behaviour from the mommy. They sometimes will eat the puppies poops to keep puppy den area clean. Sure enough she did grow out of it after a month or 2.

Now I wish she would grow out of eating Kangaroo Poo outside, lol. Both the dogs love it, they call it ‘Doggie Chocolates’ here

Good luck with your little pup!

today: his eye is looking better

and his stool is a bit firmer

he loves his yogurt !!!

his tummy is very swollen though...but not sore .

he has had a cheeky day !! I guess that is good news :rolleyes:

Good to hear - she's super cute.

I can sympathize except Jack eats everything, from rocks to sticks (his favorite) to bottle caps...I'm constantly watching him to take stuff away. He has tons of good toys too...but I think he just wants mom to take stuff away from him.

We had to turn the cat box towards a wall so the doggies can't get into it...I kept getting grossed out when I saw the dog's face covered in litter. blech.

Good luck. :rolleyes: