BC Boards

Gettin' er done

1sheepdoggal

Ok folks. We're getting a bit of a late start today, the fridge took a sh*t on us last night, so we had to spend the morning at Lowes this morning getting a new one. (Darn things are expensive these days!)

But, am heading out now to get these ram lambs done. Gave them tetenus on tuesday, and got the iodine. Guts are in a knot, so..... wish me luck!

The info that has been sent has been a great help, got it printed out, and feeling confident, like I know what Im doing. :rolleyes:

So here goes. ( hope they'll still respect me in the morning! :D )

Ok, so it wasnt so bad after all. The lambs hardly made a sound, and I really expected them to loose it. Very little struggling, they just turned up their top lips and threw their heads back, and that was that. After clamping it all the way down, I held it on each side for about 8 seconds, sprayed a little iodine on front and back, and turned them loose. They didnt even go lay down. Just walked off (though a little straddle legged) and went about their bussiness. They ate this evening, and for all intensive practical purposes, they seem just fine. On the first one, my hands were shaking a bit, but I heard the crack, kinda like the snapping of a twig, and consequensly, on each of the others. I thought I didnt hear it on one side of one of them, but hubby says ( while grimacing )he heard it, but will check them in about 2 weeks and then again in 4 weeks. Getting the testicles down far enough is a bit of a trick, and watching out for nipples. All in all, I think it went pretty well. Dont know if I want to do it again, and may opt to band any rams lambs from the fall lambs, but it was definitly a learning experience, and Im glad I learned how to do it. Thanks again to all those who helped with info and encouragment. Next year when all the ewes are lambing, I'll have some nice little wethers to use for training.

Oh yes! Now they can cause a rukus! Stout solid little bodies are pretty strong and difficult to hold on to ( and catch) also with those short little legs. We bought some pigs for 4H several years ago, and we got to watch them be born, ( I didnt know it till then, but pigs go like comatose while having babies) and then later we came by to help de tusk and give shots and cut tails and neuter. If it wasnt such a long story, Id tell ya about how my son accidently got caught in the barn with the mom while we were getting them done. Long story short, Ive never seen the boy move so fast, nor come through a window so small! I took a runt to keep for myself, and named her Lucy, (thought youd like that Julie) and made her quite the little? pet. Needlass to say, runt or no runt, she caught up to her bro's pretty quickly. Keeping them was really fun, and I enjoyed my pig keeping experience, and look forward to having some again. Yum. :rolleyes:

It's hard mustering up the courage to do that first one isn't it?

It's nice to know you have the burdizzo to fall back on if

you somehow miss one when banding or decide to change your

mind on a ram lamb you were watching. Mona

Well, accually I thought I was feeling pretty confident, until I accually had to clamp all the way down on the first one. Thats when the ole hands went to shaking a bit.

But yes, Im glad I know I can do it now, and have the tool and know that its an option I can utilize, like you said, if I have one I want to keep an eye on a bit longer. I did one of them that I really didnt want to do, I think he'd be a pretty nice ram for some one, but right now I need the wethers so he got it too. Its been 3 days and they havent skipped a beat, and rolling right along doing good. Last evening, I even watched them having their little races. The boys would run and jump and then kinda remember and slow down, but Im happy with how they have done. Thanks again.

Did you see this thread? Ihttp://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=18119 it has somel ...um..odifferent opinions and ideals there too.