BC Boards

new puppy

We are getting a new puppy! She will be picked up by me April, and I have a 2 part question. First- I am flying to get her and it is a 4.5 hour total trip with a layover of ~1 hr. Having never flown with any pet, let alone an 8 wk old puppy, I am open to any suggestions on how to make this easier for her. Second- I currently have a 13 month old bc female who begins her herding training in 2 wks. She is a dominant female personality and I'm not sure what she will think of the new addition. She plays well with our 2 yr old boxer (neutered male), but does not like him around her toys. She is well behaved at home but has had fear aggression issues to strange dogs due to being attacked while on leash at petsmart. We are working through those and are making much progress, but as those of you who have had this problem know, it is ongoing.

Hmm, first I wouldn't introduce the new pup to your female on her territory. Do it somewhere that is neutral ground to her. Don't make it a huge deal that she's meeting a new dog - let them sniff each other then take her off and go play. Remind her that she's still number 1 with you even though there is a new pup in the house.

I can't offer any advice on flying, I've never flown with a dog.

We are getting a new puppy! She will be picked up by me April, and I have a 2 part question. First- I am flying to get her and it is a 4.5 hour total trip with a layover of ~1 hr. Having never flown with any pet, let alone an 8 wk old puppy, I am open to any suggestions on how to make this easier for her. Second- I currently have a 13 month old bc female who begins her herding training in 2 wks. She is a dominant female personality and I'm not sure what she will think of the new addition. She plays well with our 2 yr old boxer (neutered male), but does not like him around her toys. She is well behaved at home but has had fear aggression issues to strange dogs due to being attacked while on leash at petsmart. We are working through those and are making much progress, but as those of you who have had this problem know, it is ongoing.

My sister flew from MA to GA to get her Eskie puppy when the dog was about 8 or 10 weeks old. She bought a soft, fleece-lined puppy carrier and brought it with her. The pup slept under the seat in front of her during the flight. I don't think she was loud or bothersome to the other passengers, thank heavens! My sister suspected afterwards that the seller had slipped the pup some calming medication, because she was sleepy for about a day. Who knows!

Good luck. What a fun transition!

Mary

You can fly with her in a soft-sided carrier that will fit under the seat; you'll need to make a reservation for her and it costs around $75, at least the last time I flew a pup under these circumstances. Sedation is generally not recommended and likely won't be needed. She'll probably sleep nearly the whole time anyway.

I once had a couple hours layover with a 10 week old Border Collie pup flying from the West Coast to Tennesee. It's impossible to exit the airport to potty the pup, as you probably know, so I got newspapers and went into one of those "family bathrooms" which are large private rooms with a baby-changing table and tile floor with a drain :-) I was able to let her out off leash, since it was an enclosed room, and she peed on the paper. Cleanup was a snap. People on our flights weren't even aware that I had a pup with me until we were exiting.

I did get selected for the thorough TSA search at Minneapolis/St Paul, however....I 'teased' the officers that they just wanted to play with the puppy!

Good luck with your trip,

I thought I would take a puppy pad so she could potty, but I never thought to use the family restroom. That's a great idea! I am hoping that her age at the time of travel (8wk) will help ensure that she sleeps the entire time. Now if only her big sis, Zoey, thinks she's great all will be well!