BC Boards

One BC or maybe 2?

Hi at the moment i got an almost 2 years old Border collie, and couple months ago I started thinking about a second dog ( a BC over course!)

An so is my questions many of you got at least 2 Borders at home and how it is like ?? Is it better or makes a lot of work more.

I have 3 and will probably be adding 2 more over this upcoming summer.

Personally I believe having more then one is less work for me as they spend more time interacting with each other and entertaining themselfs.

Its no more work for me to throw a ball a thousand times a day for 3 then it is for me to throw it a thousand times for one.

I have 3 BC's, a BC/lab, a couple of rescued mix breeds one of which may be BC/ACD and a collie. One you have that many adding another one or two really doesn't make much difference. I think a lot of us have found that once you become a multiple dog household you never go back, and somehow the pack just keeps on growing :rolleyes:

Only one?? Have you seen the decal that says "border collies are like potato chips, it's hard to have only one." We have three, when I brought the second one home (the first 'second' dog) I thought I'd lost my mind but I was wrong! The short period of time we had one again it was so lonely here, now we have three again and I can't imagine not having them. I'd take in a fourth but we'd have to get a bigger car :rolleyes:

Suzanne

Ok Let say it clear 2 years ago we had no dog at all after many years of bagging my father agreed to buy a dog i choose Bc ( i always knew what breed my dog will be) And now we are really thinking of a second ( we cannot afford 3 :rolleyes: cause we dont have a place i hope cause my parents will stop working and possibly move to country during the summer with my dog

I know that BC are addictive :D and i know there is much work with two dogs but i dream od a choco or tri chocko BC

We recently made the leap from 1 to 2!

We have a 3 year old BC who is VERY much the alpha of the house. We had been looking for some time to add a second and were terrified of her reaction. We found what appeared to be a sweet 8 month old from a BC Rescue in Washington (Molly). My wife flew to WA from AK to meet Molly and the foster mom. She ended up bringing Molly home and we have been TOTALLY happy and excited about the new addition.

Our incumbent is getting along great with Molly (now Sisu), though I will caution you that two is more work than one. The biggest thing is finding someone that can watch the dogs if you are away. We are VERY particular about our dogs. We don't board them. Period. We rarely travel without them, though if we do (did) finding someone to take care of two dogs to our high standards is harder than someone who will watch one dog.

Good luck with your decision!

They say the best companion for a BC is another BC…

We have long days at work and it had to be quite lonely for our little 5 months girl alone at home. We just got her a little brother a few weeks ago and absolutely do not regret our decision. They are both having a great time together. I say 2, or if we had the space we’d have more!!

Ok My BC is never alone :rolleyes: my parents take him always with them to work etc ( cause the dog dosen't have to be alone if he can be with them:PPP)

Finding a home for them if we are on vacation is easy :D Akis breeder s always ready to take Aki for some days to him ( he is the one who says I should get another one ) And they will be in the best hands.

We have a problem cause Ak is sometimes agressive against other male dogs ... and we prefer a male as a second dog. But we got a male pup for 2 days and it wasnt a problem at all so i hope he will accept a puppy

Well, Im probably one of the best canidates for your answer. I had two in the past and both passed on - it was great having them together! I recently got another puppy at 7 weeks old and is now almost 5 1/2 months old and just added my second about 2-3 weeks ago - 10 month old adopted. So far it has been the best thing for little Koda and I dont regret it one bit. Many BC's are just non-stop and even though Im extremely active its nice to have a moment or two without a ball in my lap, a BoBo toy being flung in my face or having to say, "NO! You cant have the cookies on the counter!!!" a hundred times :D

Truth is, they play with each other (sometimes too much for the house) and stay out of trouble - well, mostly :rolleyes: It is more work as I have to worry about training two, you have to buy two toys, two treats, two crates ect...and you cant leave one in the crate without the other. Its a lot of work but in the end it pays off as it did with my first pair. I think they become better adjusted dogs and tend to be less timid.

That being said, I STRONGLY encourage you to adopt one rather than buy one. My rule is: For every dog I buy I have to adopt the next. Its a good rule I think and saves a dogs life. You can find WONDERFUL BC's in need of homes out there if you just take the time to look. Dont get the first one you see unless its absolutely the right one. I was looking for an adoptable BC before I even bought Koda so it took me months. Koda just happened to be the one that captured my heart so I bought him. Use Petfinder and BC rescues to find them, have your dog spend at least an hour or more around the other dog with distractions and certainly food. Your dog needs to see you give love to the other dog too and watch the reactions. You want your BCs to be best friends for life and dogs are like people - some personalites just dont mix! Be careful, have fun looking and enjoy your new best pal when you find him :D

I posted this video in another thread about buying two. Its of my little pup and my new big adopted pup! Im excited too as we are getting a fence in a few weeks all the way around the yard for them to have a hay day.

I have three dogs, but only one Border collie...a second is not unlikely within the next two years. This breed stole my heart three years ago, and I don't want it back! I wonder if I'll ever bring home a dog of another breed again(foster dogs put aside).

I've had as many as five dogs at one time, and I don't find it's a great deal more work than one. Once you have two, it's all over. :rolleyes: