BC Boards

Pooping on the Bed

So yesterday the dogs were loose in the house. They normally are when we are home. I was downstairs and I heard them go upstairs to chase the cats. After a few minutes I called them back down. When my fiance got home there was Poop on the bed. I know it was Bula, not Kramer, from the size. So he texted me this morning to say our down comforter is ruined because she pooped again! Needless to say the door is staying closed - But why would she do this? She was just outside, and she doesn't poop anywhere else in the house.

Did she poop in the exact same spot on the bed or in a different spot? I am assuming since the down comforter is ruined it may have been really runny? (We had an accident on our down comforter once and got it to the dry cleaner ASAP and they took care of it completely) Could she be sick?

I don't know anything about the treatment of down, but I'm surprised it can't be cleaned. I would try washing it and then drench the heck out of the spot with Nature's Miracle. If you are working off the premise that it's already ruined, there is nothing to lose by trying to clean it.

He admitted after it wasn't ruined. We got spot cleaner for it. Dominance issues. That is a good avenue to go down perhaps. She trying to be dominate? I don't have to get rid of the fiance. He has done very very good with the pain in the ass border collie ( he does love her!) She loves to torment him so maybe that is why she did it.

I don't really know why she would have pooped on the bed the first time--maybe she had to go and there was no one to let her out. I wouldn't think dominance though. In Patricia McConnell's books, she cautions against the conclusion that a dog is trying to convey some negative emotion when the owner finds the dog has pooped in the house, because dogs love poop. To them its wonderful stuff. My guess would be the second time she pooped in the same spot it was because the smell was not washed out all the way. I would just make sure to get the smell out and make sure you are taking her out often enough. If the problem continues, I would go back to housebreaking 101.

My advice is first get rid of BF! Then figure out the pooping problem.

Barb S

:rolleyes::D:D

I'm sorry, that just struck me as hilarious. I know not all men are poops!

Patty, who's been happily divorced for 8 years and 2 months.

So maybe she was leaving us a gift? She is outside almost all day long. We live on a farm. Lots of fun activities and stimulation. Her and Kramer were just upstairs harassing the cats. We had just come in from an hour outside doing chores.

I dunno, maybe. Random house-soiling issues from an otherwise housetrained dog are kind of mysterious. I know if I spend an hour outside with my dog, lots of times he will "forget" to go because he doesn't want to miss out on any of the fun. Once we had just come inside not long before I found him peeing in my BF's shoe in the entryway. Even though he had been outside for an hour or so just before he hadn't gone in probably five hours or so. Additionally, activity seems to stimulate the bowels (this is just a great topic, isn't it?), so I would guess unless the problem continues, she forgot to go while she was out and just had to go once she was on the bed. If it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't really worry about it.

I agree with what the others said!

Send the bf to the pound and the duvet to the dry cleaners....

Yep, Id agree with this one...LOL.

To me Im wondering if it isnt something cat related. As you said, your pup chased the cats upstairs and I wonder if the dog isnt claiming the bedroom from the cats. Could one of them perhaps have marked there that day?

I would also like to know if the pup sleeps in the bed or not? Someone said that dogs love dookie (and some do!) but they also dont like to lay in their own - they may eat it as pups but not lay in it. Most dogs would see the bed (if they sleep there) as their kennel of sorts and would not go on it. Another issue might be adding scent if the BF is fairly recently sleeping there. Some background might offer insight into the problem a bit more.

Bieng outside for an hour or all day is no guarantee that she has done her business outside. I can't say why she pooped on the bed. It is not likely to be dominance issues or any other "message" to you. Sometimes sh** happens. It happened more than once because she could smell where she went before. Probably all of my well-house-trained dogs have had accidents in the house at one time or another. Aside from obvious illness, I don't spend a lot of time trying to figure out the "why" of the accident, I just try to be more diligent about making sure they do go potty when they're supposed to. I would try a more structured bathroom time outside (that is, if she has a "go potty" command or similar, use it and make sure she goes before she comes in the house) and perhaps less freedom inside for a time, just to reinforce the house training thing.

J.

In rereading this thread, I don't notice your saying whether or not you used an enzyme cleaner specific for dog messes, prior to laundering or otherwise cleaning the comforter. If your dog had an "accident" on the comforter and the odor was not completely removed, any remaining odor might be letting her know that that's a fine place to go.

As Julie said (and I have experienced), even very well-trained dogs will occasionally have an accident. In my case, it's usually because I didn't notice the signs that one was trying to get me to let him/her out because one had to go right now (and, with my somewhat sensitive intestines, I know what that's like firsthand), because I neglected to clean a spot properly and the alluring scent was still there when the urge hit (especially when they were younger), or I did not take the time to make sure they all relieved themselves properly following exercise.

My dogs have quite good routines about elimination, and we always make sure to have "go potty" time after exercise and before coming in the house. As mentioned, exercise gets all the systems going. Like young children, they sometimes don't make time to go when they should and I have to make sure the opportunity is there to get it done when and where it needs to be done.

Best wishes!

This won't help you but it just reminded me of how my cat used to poop on the spare bed if we had visitors.....while they were sleeping....funny those people don't come to visit anymore...

Who knows what happened. It will be interesting to see if it happens again. Might just be coincidence that it happened two times? or maybe the proper cleaning will help out.

She has a history of doing it on the beds. She was peeing on the kids room bed before doing the poopy in our room. When we are out I make sure they go poop and pee. I make sure the poop looks "normal" to make sure they aren't sick or anything. We had a big comforter on top of the bip feather comforter, we only heat by wood and it gets cold at night. The first day we took the comforter off and were able to wash it up, the second she went directly on the father comforter, but I think in relatively the same spot. Needless to say animals are not allowed in the bedroom anymore unless we are in there. They sleep in crates downstairs. I just have never had a dog go to the bathroom on the bed like this, other areas in the house yes. Her little quirk I guess.

She has a history of doing it on the beds.

Since you apparently have an ongoing problem, I think your choice of using the crates and barring the dogs from the bedrooms is your most expedient solution. It sounds like your dog has been able to make a bad habit out of this and prevention is the key since you haven't solved the problem by any other means you might have tried.

We used to have a dog that would seek out one particular guy's bed and poop on it if she could. If she couldn't get to his bed, she would poop outside his door. This happened wherever he was housed, and even if the dog was just visiting. She absolutely adored him -- how would you say this down south? -- bless her heart. She was a little touched.