BC Boards

Monster Puppy!

And I'm not talking about roly-poly huge. He's wide-chested, tall and gangly with long legs that are thick like tree trunks and the most enormous feet I've ever seen (in proportion to his body). The only time I've seen legs and feet proportionately that big is when we had 2 danes and they were pups. Flurry's feet are as big as, or bigger than my adult dogs that weigh over 60 pounds. He just went to the vet on Monday for his third set of needles at 16 weeks and he weighs 31 pounds. He is going to be one big boy. From what I'm told his uncle Clover is 60 pounds and he's tall, long and lean too.

I have seen smooth-coat Border Collies that go in the 60-pound-plus range, and are huge compared to Annie; they are even bigger than Missy, a BC-Belgian Sheepdog mix who in her prime hovered around the 60-pound mark. While true aficianados of the breed can confirm whether this is true, I was told that this variant was developed for use primarily on the flatlands of southern Scotland and England, where (unlike the highlands of Scotland and the hilly terrains of Wales) endurance and range are more important features than speed and agility; they were also used (many years ago) to chase deer in the forests of England. But then again, this may just be an urban legend. What is known is that the large smooth-coat variant is still a true Border Collie.

He hardly stays still long enough to take his picture. Here's one from a few weeks or a month ago but he's gotten a lot taller and more gangly since then. He would have been 12-14 weeks old in this pic. It does show his giant feet though (but not his coat colour. Bad lightning, he's a nice red)

Flurryrunningrs.jpg

Interesting about the large smooth coats. He's a smooth, his mom's a smooth (not real tall but solid), his uncle Cover is a 60 pound smooth, and his half-sister Rain is a smooth, but she's much more dainty with thin little legs and small feet. She was weighed recently and was 43.5 pounds. Rain's a year old next week and she's my little one, Flurry's feet and legs are already way bigger than hers.

And I'm not talking about roly-poly huge. He's wide-chested, tall and gangly with long legs that are thick like tree trunks and the most enormous feet I've ever seen (in proportion to his body). The only time I've seen legs and feet proportionately that big is when we had 2 danes and they were pups. Flurry's feet are as big as, or bigger than my adult dogs that weigh over 60 pounds. He just went to the vet on Monday for his third set of needles at 16 weeks and he weighs 31 pounds. He is going to be one big boy. From what I'm told his uncle Clover is 60 pounds and he's tall, long and lean too.

After looking closely at the picture I don't think he is a BC,Maybe a mix but not a PB.

After looking closely at the picture I don't think he is a BC,Maybe a mix but not a PB.

Actually, he is (CBCA registered). In http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...c=17058&hl= his owner describes how he came to live with her. More testament to the incredible variety in BCs.

Looking forward to seeing more of him!

Errol, I had the same reaction the first time I saw a large smooth-coat BC. But he is in fact typical of the larger variant, and they are in fact more common than I would have initially belived. They are true Border Collies, just a variant of the breed that may not be commonly recognized by those used to seeing the smaller version common in herding and agility trials. After seeing my first one, I did more research, and found that the large version is in some cases actually used as sled dogs. Nor does every large BC have to be a smooth-coat; if you saw the movie 2002 movie "Snow Dogs', you might recall that Nana the Border Collie was quite large, but in fact appeared to be a rough-coat BC. You might find this link of interest: Smooth-Coat Border Collies