BC Boards

What's up with catching frisbee with paws?

Tiga wont' jump for them at all. He's just keep running after it until it's almost on the ground. Then if he's close enough when that happens, he uses his paws but not to catch it, to bat in down on the ground as quickly as possible and then pick it up with his mouth. He much prefers to swim after his frisbee.

Border Collies discovered that the only thing keeping them from world dominion is that they have no opposable thumbs.

What If Pets Had Opposable Thumbs Day

When : Always March 3rd. You can even send an e-card in celebration: What If Pets Had Opposable Thumbs Day E-Card

(Damn!!! Another Holiday I missed!!!)

What If Pets Had Opposable Thumbs Day leaves you wondering what would happen if.......

One thing that sets man apart from many other species on the planet is an opposable thumb. It allows us to do many things that other creatures can't do.

Now imagine what it would be like if your pet had thumbs. Do you get a clear image of your pet with thumbs? Are you seeing your pet doing things with their new thumb? Just imagine if Fluffy or Fido had the ability to open their own cans, turn on the oven, the ability to take and hide your car keys or lock the door behind you, and so on! If so, your mind is in spirit with today.

Note: If you have a pet monkey, you already know what it would be like for your pet to have thumbs.

This is one Border Collie's take on this holiday:

In honor of this wonderful holiday, I am listing (not in any particular order) what I would do if I had opposable thumbs. Ready, set, go!

- I'd do my own typing and have my own computer, thank you very much - Mum is slow, and sometimes doesn't interpret well what I tell her. I want my own voice!

- With computer access more readily available, I'd place an order with Clean Run right away, and get all the treats, toys, and agility gear I've always wanted.

- With thumbs I could easily open the pantry and get my own food, anytime I wanted - the others are on their own.

- I could click my own clicker when I get a trick right! Ha!

- Changing the channel on the TV would be so much easier than using teeth; finally I could take charge of that darn remote.

- Getting out of my crate would be a snap.

- I could open my own door and roam the free world at will - staying close to my Mum, of course.

- Taking pics of Mum when she's sleeping would be pretty fun, and video her while she's running could be veeerrrryyy interesting!

- I could very well unclip my leash and be a free roamer on our long walks, now that I could go fur.

- Maybe I would take lessons to learn how to drive the car...and then I could get where I want to go, instead of where Mum does.

- I could give the thumbs up when a cute girlie walked by.

- Hmmm....I'd be so independent, maybe they would let me vote!

I'm sure Mum would have an opinion of what I should do with these wonderful new thumbs!

- Clean up my own poo.

- Set my own bars.

- Take out the trash.

- Rake the cat litter box with my thumbs instead of my mouth.

- Brush my own teeth and trim my own nails (wouldn't mind do my own nails, may be safer, BOL!)

- Have faster weaves...

- Be her secretary for a change!

- And I'm sure she would get me a paying job, so I could pay for my own agility. Oh, well, I'm a working dog.

So, everypup? What would you do if you had opposable thumbs? Let me know!

I eventually gave up on frisbee's because she would either just watch it, or try and catch it this way...how do you get you dog "in to" frisbee? She's 3 so I don't know if she'll pick it up..

Other than the occasional miss like in that picture I posted, Abby is actually pretty good at catching the frisbee. She wasn't when I first got her, though.

I started out by getting her chasing a rolling frisbee. Then I would do tiny little tosses that were very easy for her to grab. When I started throwing them further, if she caught it I'd make it into the most exciting thing ever - we'd play tug with it and roll it for a reward. If she didn't catch it, I would just go pick it up and we'd continue on our walk and try again in a minute. That seemed to work well since now she tries her hardest to catch it. She even screams at the frisbee when she's on her way to catch it if I do a less than perfect throw :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

LMAO!!! These are probably the funniest dog pictures I've ever seen. Jade does this too... so far I've been unable to capture it on camera...

Ha-ha! great pics everyone :D:D

But hey, my poor Eluane has to resort to paws because her Mama can't throw worth a darn! :rolleyes:

So ya, she's down to the paws in scooping out the frisbee or "batting" that frisbee that just roooooolllls on the grass instead of being up in the air, terrible me!