BC Boards

O/T: I lost my cockatiel yesterday...

Nik

Every a.m. I put his cage on the back porch so he can get lots of fresh air (he loves being outside). Yesterday, I changed his food and water and put the dishes back in the cage he was there....about 20 minutes later I walked by his cage and noticed he didn't tweet at me, when I looked he was GONE!!!

I found him in a tree next door at my aunt's house and tried to spook him out of the tree hoping he would land in the field somewhere, but he decided to go the other way into the woods. I looked for him all day yesterday, and just got back from looking for him this a.m. I could hear him but he took flight again and now I fear he's gone too deep into the woods that I will never find him. I know he has instincts to survive in the wild if need be...especially since so many people around here put out bird seed, but I'm concerned about the cold weather coming up.

Anyone that has birds have any suggestion on how to coax him to me instead of away from me? I've left his cage open just in case he finds his way back to food, but it seems me trying to find him has just scared him further away.

You must be so worried! I don't know if you have a zoo in your area, but I think I would start trying to contact the zoos and see if someone on staff can assist you with advice, or let you know of someone who specializes in capturing birds. Pet stores may have someone on staff who is good with this sort of thing. Or maybe your local Department of Natural Resources/forestry can offer advice--I'm sure they have experience in tracking/monitoring wild birds and this could translate into how to capture a pet bird. Does he have a favorite toy or treat that he would recognize if you brought it out to him? If you can get him on the ground, you can throw a light blanket or towel over him to calm him, then you can scoop him up. I had a stubborn hummingbird who kept wandering into my garage this summer and I lost track of how many times I scooped him up in my son's t-shirt and set him free... Good luck! Charlene

I was a zookeeper and have had to catch many a wayward bird in my day.

I totally agree with the above post, put his cage out with the door open and put his food in it. Another trick is to get a tape recording of another cockatiel (or even better another cockatiel in a cage) sometimes the cockatiel calling will bring the lost one back.

oh and if you do track it to a tree, one trick is to spray them down with hose (gentle spray not a jet) so they get wet and cannot fly away.

Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid it may be too late. I've gotten close today but he flew before I could get to him. The woods behind the neighbors houses are pretty dense so I could only get so close.

I still have his cage out, but no sign of him returning as of yet. I'm not giving up complete hope yet, but right now I'm just sick to my stomach over this.

Oooh Nik, I am so sorry. That same thing happened to my Dad's parakete. It was heartbreaking knowing the little bird was gone and watching the pain and self blame my Dad went through.

I was also going to suggest a tape recording of another Cockatiel... I know my current little parakete goes nuts when I put on a cd with "like birds"..

It is definately worth a try along with the favorite food, and open cage where he got out. I would even put a trail of food on the cage or in the area where the cage was, leading up to the cage door.

I pray you will get your little feathered friend back. :rolleyes: Don't give up...........

So far no sign of him today...will get up first thing in the a.m. to look some more. The thing that has me really worried right now is our first really cold spell came through today and that's not good for him.

I could just kick myself for not being more careful. We have our routine w/ him being outside and this was just one of those times that I wasn't careful enough...now he's gonna pay for my stupidity.

Yeah we have russian neighbors and they get up at like 7am when it's like 35 out and hang their parakeets cage outside their front door. VERY bad for them!!