BC Boards

Cruelty at its highest!

Although it's possible that the two men seen in this video might be impersonating US Soldiers, the puppy being thrown off the cliff is real. If those are authentic US Soldiers, then they should be brought before their superiors and severely disciplined. The puppy looks like it might possibly be a Border Collie. Have any of you seen this video before? I would advise against allowing children to see it.

US Soldier Throws Puppy Off Cliff - Iraq

By the way, our Border Collie (Sevenz) is 8 month's old today (born 7-7-07 = "Sevenz"). My wife takes pictures of him on the 7th of each month. I'll try to upload a photo of him later so that y'all can see how much he has grown.

I finally managed to look at the video today. I'm still crying. As a human being, animal lover, and a veteran I was horrified. I just held my BC Alex for a long time. The soldiers should be punished to the highest extent allowed by the UCMJ.

Esox

It is a sick, sick video.

A friend of mine in the military said there is no way this guy will go unpunished. At the very least, he will be dishonourably discharged. He said that the marines are probably a lot more ticked off than we are, and this guy will get what's coming to him.

Another friend actually has this soldier's email address. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Another friend actually has this soldier's email address. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Man oh Man I am glad I'm not you. I do NOT handle animal cruelty well and have been known to fly off the handle once or twice.

Completely awful.

At times I wondered if the puppy was fake, or already dead, but it doesn't matter. The depravity of those who could laugh at something like that . . . It's beyond my comprehension.

I did watch the clip...

My brain keeps insisting to me that it was faked---that they "only" picked the pup up by the scruff, and then, when the camera caught the view of the flying object, it was some nonliving thing---a rag or something.

But, even if that were true, to film it and laugh, well, folks like that get labeled sociopaths in my line of work (many years of psychiatric nursing) and no one lets them have guns... :D

Unbelievable.

I hope their parents recognize them from the clip...and honestly, I hope they get the "come to Jesus" talk they need.

If that were my boy, I would have a very hard time sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner next to him ever again. :rolleyes:

My husband and I, were both outraged.

He was on the computer, and he called me over and showed me the video(before I knew what it was about) and it doesn't help that you can hear the puppy crying as it goes over the edge. It sounds real. :rolleyes:

It's sad that I'm not surprised by the cruelty anymore. People do really stupid things in the name of "macho" and "tough guy."

What does surprise me is how little sense of self-preservation these people have. Whether it's this soldier and the puppy, or the Abu Ghraib guards photographing their stupidity, or the teenage vandals who have taken to trashing their school, cemetery (whatever), and then posting the video on YouTube... What the heck? Are they all so stupid that they think they can post their crimes where the whole WORLD can access it, and then not have anyone see it?

Mary

I beg you to make that address public with any other information you can get your hands on.

That actually caused me to cry for that sweet little puppy and it takes ALOT to get me into tears. Im so angry right now its a good thing.......Im not even going to say it.

Please post what you find out.

I beg you to make that address public with any other information you can get your hands on.

That actually caused me to cry for that sweet little puppy and it takes ALOT to get me into tears. Im so angry right now its a good thing.......Im not even going to say it.

Please post what you find out.

While what these men did is deplorable, I'm not sure a harassment campaign is legal either.

While what these men did is deplorable, I'm not sure a harassment campaign is legal either.

No, harassment wouldn't be the right thing either. However, you can go to this org's webpage and submit comments to be sent to the military command of the Marines who did this. That is not harassment and it sends a message that we don't want our Armed Forced doing this crap!

http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/CRUELTY%20N...arine_puppy.htm

Robin

Harassment would be an individual repeatedly making contact with this person or threatening him - that is NOT OK. But posting his information and sending him a thoughtful email is more than OK in my book; even if its a public outcry. You do that to a helpless animal (posting it publically, nonetheless!) and you deserve to have your life made uncomfortable......and be locked up.

However, you can go to this org's webpage and submit comments to be sent to the military command of the Marines who did this. That is not harassment and it sends a message that we don't want our Armed Forced doing this crap!

http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/CRUELTY%20N...arine_puppy.htm

Robin

Thank you for the link. A nice place to start.

I find the act deplorable to say the least but I'm also surprised that people are so surprised by the act itself. We see a modicum of what happens in times of war and in most cases it's an accident that we see anything at all. Rest assured it would otherwise be swept under the carpet. People are killed, people are raped, people are tortured and yet we're surprised that a puppy is thrown from a cliff?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's sick and if the video is real, the person is disturbed to be so amused by it and I personally ache for that little puppy....but do we really think it's the worst that individual may have done? Or seen? Now that's what I find extremely frightening.

Or does war de-sensitize people to death to a point where right and wrong is not discernable? Maybe even more frightening.

Maria

For those who are curious what fellow marines and veterans think of this kid's behavior and apparent lack of remorse (other than the remorse of having gotten caught doing it), wander on over to military.com, scroll down to the Marine's news section, hit the "more Marine news" and then the discussion board.

It's apparent that most of the current military and fellow veterans who have posted there are as disgusted as everyone else.

As I mentioned in the other thread here, bad karma will be following this guy like a bad haircut. And as one Marine on Military.com said:

MARINES POLICE MARINES. IT WILL BE TAKEN CARE OF.

Harassment would be an individual repeatedly making contact with this person or threatening him - that is NOT OK. But posting his information and sending him a thoughtful email is more than OK in my book; even if its a public outcry. You do that to a helpless animal (posting it publically, nonetheless!) and you deserve to have your life made uncomfortable......and be locked up.

Thank you for the link. A nice place to start.

We'll have to agree to disagree on what harassment is. I personally think that making someone's email public so that a large group of people can each "send a thoughtful email" constitutes an organized harassment campaign. I just think people might want to be careful about what they do with any personal information they have access to. Using the information that Robin posted or writing to your congressman would be a much more productive use of energy, IMO.

Harassment would be an individual repeatedly making contact with this person or threatening him - that is NOT OK. But posting his information and sending him a thoughtful email is more than OK in my book; even if its a public outcry.

Well, I sure hope that whoever's e-mail address is posted really is the person in the video, and not someone's ex-boyfriend or landlord or some other person against whom someone has a grudge.

I find the act deplorable to say the least but I'm also surprised that people are so surprised by the act itself. We see a modicum of what happens in times of war and in most cases it's an accident that we see anything at all. Rest assured it would otherwise be swept under the carpet. People are killed, people are raped, people are tortured and yet we're surprised that a puppy is thrown from a cliff?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's sick and if the video is real, the person is disturbed to be so amused by it and I personally ache for that little puppy....but do we really think it's the worst that individual may have done? Or seen? Now that's what I find extremely frightening.

Or does war de-sensitize people to death to a point where right and wrong is not discernable? Maybe even more frightening.

Maria

I am afraid that some people do get desensitized and that others become more sensitive. It is my personal belief though that an individual who starts out with appropriate social responses and compassion keeps their compassion and still treats others with humanity and dignity. My uncle came back from two tours in Vietnam, one as an infantryman and another as Special Forces and he was still a decent person. On the other hand, a relative who has never had an appropriate response to the same type of matters and had a far less stressful job in Afghanistan took pictures of dead people and brought them home to show off at a family function. As a former member of the Army myself, nine years of active duty and three more in the Reserves, I don't think military life is inherently desensitizing. I do think that people in war compartmentalize situations because you cannot run around screaming every time you do witness horrific things and that if you want to come home you can't jump on every thing all by yourself and try to right all wrongs. One more thing, then I will STFU, if we don't say something and turn a blind eye to the awful things happening we do nothing to change it.

Robin

It is my personal belief though that an individual who starts out with appropriate social responses and compassion keeps their compassion and still treats others with humanity and dignity.

Yes, I absolutely agree with this.

The sort of behavior these people are exhibiting is NOT limited to the military. I teach 8th grade, and I see this kind of cruelty pop up in kids from time to time. Most kids show appropriate empathy, but some do not. I think the macho/idiot/tough guy stuff is just as common in the "regular world" as it is in the military, though probably people hide it more often when surrounded by social constraints found in a peaceful society. Put the same idiots in a distant country, far from the people who ground them, and let them meet up with each other... it just reinforces this stuff. But hey, put them on a college campus, far from Mommy and Daddy, let them have a few beers... and they go rape a woman, or beat a gay guy to death. It's not a military issue. It's a human issue.

Mary

But hey, put them on a college campus, far from Mommy and Daddy, let them have a few beers... and they go rape a woman, or beat a gay guy to death. It's not a military issue. It's a human issue.

Mary

Amen! I am concerned that given their situation and lack of control, what else are they doing? Its just another reason these guys need to be locked up with mental evaluation.

I don't think military life is desinsithizing either, I'm an Army brat, my dad is retired military and served in Vietman. I do think war is desensithizing though....and according to my Mother he came back a changed man. It took a few years for him to go back to being the man she married...the father I've always known as I was born after his tour. They just celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary so whatever he came back as did not last but she did tell me that for almost a year, she feared him.

Having said this, I think the state of the current military is precarious and not a whole lot of screening is done...thus I think we have many elements whom we should not be proud to call soldiers....or whom can lose their proportion of right and wrong too quickly because they grew up without the stability of some others. The truth is that this guy could have been torturing pups his entire life ...

Unfortunately the pup is probably not his only "sin" for lack of a better word.

Maria

While at the military based site I posted earlier, I came across a link to more disgusting animal cruelty cases performed by troops with apparently nothing better to do. I can see the need to dispatch an animal in a military situation if it's vicious, diseased, rigged with explosives or will give away troops positions with it's noise or movement. But to vaporize an animal with expensive weaponry/ordinance, just because it's there, and while laughing about it, filming it and posting it for the world to see is (IMO) off the wall.

One of these newer films shows a convoy of troops coming upon an Iraqi with a flock of sheep moving alongside the road-----midway past the flock someone from the moving convoy throws a granade or other explosive device amongst the sheep. Now there's a way to create goodwill in a foreign country (not).