BC Boards

Need a shoulder...

I'm so sorry for poor Sine, and for the sadness you and your husband must be feeling. You must be a truly brave person to have put your heart and feelings out on the line as you did for this dog. I admire that courage so much, and I hope you will feel better soon.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may be way off base with this but I'm shocked that poor Sine was not diagnosed at the Shelter. Is distemper that unusual a disease that no one there saw her symptoms? Although everyone of us is glad she found you guys to give her comfort at the end, she was adopted out (aka "sold") to an unsuspecting dog-lover (with other pets) with a very contagious disease who had very little time left. I can't blame you guys one bit for wanting to take a breather from this kind of rescue.

I honestly don't know how common distemper is. I didn't catch it because I've never seen it before. When we picked her up, they put her on antibiotics and antifungals for her ears and goopy eyes. I presumed kennel cough was going to happen, so when she started with a runny nose and hard breathing, I thought kennel cough, maybe pneumonia. She stopped eating and peeing, I worried about renal failure. She wouldn't lie down; perhaps that was arthritis or congestive heart failure. I ran her symptoms by a colleague whose wife is a vet (he called her), and she didn't come up with distemper either. It wasn't until she started doing the smacking noise with her mouth that gave it away. At least, that was the clincher for my vet. She didn't have typical seizures, and I didn't make the connection until he pointed it out. Apparently the "gum smacking seizure" is unique to distemper.

All of mine are vaccinated, and we did quarantine her. I don't think anyone but a die-hard rescuer would have gone out of their way to get her though, considering how poor a first impression she made. (Not that I'm die-hard, it was just all already arranged) Not the kind of dog the average Jane is going to adopt, for sure. And they made it perfectly clear that she wasn't well, and wasn't healthy enough to go under anesthesia when I adopted her. They did make me promise an update. I guess I'll write a letter. But I'm not going to ask for my money back. She was worth it, and it was worth doing for her.

Danielle

What a tough week you guys have had, Danielle - but what a blessing for that poor old girl that you were there for her. Thank you on behalf of all the needy dogs, and on behalf of those of us who aren't in a position to do what you do.

I honestly don't know how common distemper is...

I ran her symptoms by a colleague whose wife is a vet (he called her), and she didn't come up with distemper either. It wasn't until she started doing the smacking noise with her mouth that gave it away. At least, that was the clincher for my vet. She didn't have typical seizures, and I didn't make the connection until he pointed it out. Apparently the "gum smacking seizure" is unique to distemper.

All of mine are vaccinated, and we did quarantine her. I don't think anyone but a die-hard rescuer would have gone out of their way to get her though, considering how poor a first impression she made. (Not that I'm die-hard, it was just all already arranged) Not the kind of dog the average Jane is going to adopt, for sure. And they made it perfectly clear that she wasn't well, and wasn't healthy enough to go under anesthesia when I adopted her. They did make me promise an update. I guess I'll write a letter. But I'm not going to ask for my money back. She was worth it, and it was worth doing for her.

Danielle

Danielle,

I didn't once imagine that you'd ask for your money back! A true dog-lover sees the value of every life and what we can do to help an animal in pain. I absolutely commend you for that. I think we have all been touched through your experience.

I didn't expect that you would recognize distemper, even if you had seen it before. I guess it is a difficult thing for even a professional to diagnose. I'm just so sorry that you had to find out that way. But if in the end it meant that she could be with you guys, it was the best possible scenario for her.

All my best,

Ailsa