BC Boards

Danielle,

You gave Sine what she needed most at the end. Loving arms and someone who cares. Thank you from all of the gang at SOTRBCR. RIP Sine.

Hi Danielle,

What a truly selfless and kind thing you did for Sine. She had arms around her when she passed; how would that experience have been for her old soul without you. You did a wonderful thing.

April

Very sorry to hear this Danielle, but grateful that she spent her last few days surrounded by love and wonderful care.

I am very sorry for your loss. :rolleyes:

Thank you for giving her your love.

Oh gosh. I'm so sorry to hear that, Danielle. Bless you for giving her a few days of love and comfort. Poor thing. RIP Sine.

Karma owes you a big one for what you did for this old girl.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that, but I hope you can get some comfort in knowing that you did save this dog. You saved her from dying alone and unloved and filled her last days with warmth and love.

You gave her a great gift.

From one dog lover to another, I thank you for that.

You did what nobody else has probably done for her in her entire life...respected her in life and in death. I always feel that how a being is able to pass is almost more important than how they've lived....and this is for all beings. Death is so irreverant that to have love and respect at that precise moment is all that we can ask for...and exactly what you did for her.

You gave her the ultimate kindness.

Big hug

Maria

Danielle, I'm also so sorry this turned out this way. Thank you for standing by her and letting her know that there are people who are kind, loving, and generous. You were with her when she needed you the most. I wish it could have been different for both of you.

Suzanne

Through tears for a dog I've never known I would like to thank you for what you gave this old girl. You gave her the gift of love, a home, a family and dignity and in the end you gave her the last gift you could...a peaceful death in the arms of someone who cared. May she rest in peace and may you meet her again, young and full of life.

Olivia

Distemper. That is shocking. You definitely made the right choice, and she's much easier now. I hope you can find peace at this time, and the blessings that should accrue to you for your gift of love to Sine. I believe she knows now and you'll always remember her.

Thank you, Danielle. You were an angel sent to Sine for a reason. And as hard as it must be for you, at least she knew kindness and love in her last days. My thoughts are with you.

Run free, Sine. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. It's been a rough week. Thanks for letting me vent. I posted this over at the rescue board as well.

Ultimately, the vet said that she was too far gone, and the distempter was ravaging her system. Watching her go downhill was much harder than letting her go. My poor husband is a wreck - he doesn't tend to let it all out, but admitted that he was alternately afraid to check on her and afraid not to, as she almost drowned in her water dish last night. (Talk about a bad place to collapse...) He didn't know if he should stay for it or not, but I think he's glad he did, just to know that there was no struggle, no pain, and just peace. I don't know that she was even conscious, but I'd like to think having hands on her helped ease her death. He was glad he did, but he's been very upset about the whole thing. He doesn't have the best coping system, and we may have to take a break from rescue. At least the pulling part. I think we'll continue to foster, but obviously take a break from puppies and unvaccinated dogs. I can't take the risk of exposing them to the virus.

We knew it was coming, but had hoped for the best. Still, if you all had seen her, you would have done the same thing. This morning, it was like the relief couldn't come soon enough, she looked so bad, and couldn't move. She really didn't respond, just smacking her mouth, which I later learned is a classic distemper seizure. She whimpered a little when I picked her up, but that was all - she couldn't walk, so I carried her to the vet.

Would I do it again if I knew then what I knew now? Probably not. But I probably would have always wondered if I could have done more. Now I know I've done everything I could, and have no regrets. But damn, it hurts.

But she's free from the pain and at peace now.

Danielle

PS.

Do I call the shelter and tell them she had distemper? Surely they know it's there...

(edited to add that I called them and told them. The gal I talked to was the one who walked me through her adoption. She seemed surprised, but glad to know.)

If she was only meant to outlive her euth date by a week, she has had a comfortable warm bed, and good food, and peoples' arms around her and wouldn't die alone and cold and scared.

I don't think anything needs to be added to that. What more could be asked, than at the end she knew love and comfort, and will now have someone to wait for at the Bridge?

Do I call the shelter and tell them she had distemper? Surely they know it's there...

I would call them. They might, or might NOT, know they had a case of distemper. I think for your peace of mind, you should let them know. Once again, thank you for being Sine's guardian angel.

Real Rescuers are the ones that stay for the last breath even when it hurts.

You made the kindest and more courageous decision possible. Sine appreciates it, we all do. Thank you.

Sine is in excellent company. My pack that has gone on is with her; my Lena and Tazzmin, wee Peg, steady honest Clem, Bo and Bubbles, so many others so dear. Sine never be lonely again, or cold, or wonder why she is unwanted. There are always kind hands and kind heart around for an old dog in Heaven.

Thank you again. All old dogs should have someone at the end.

Danielle, Bless your heart and your husband's for taking this old girl in and being there w/her until the end. You definitely did all you could and gave her a peaceful passing to the bridge as well...

take care....

What a gut-wrenching week you've had. There's not really much to say other than you truly made some bad karma (or whatever force you believe in) good with your kindness and compassion (and your husband did too of course).

After years of rescuing stray cats and dogs, I can honestly say I feel for you and know how bad your heart is breaking right now. Time will heal all, and when you look back on this, you will feel a lot better that she did get the love she deserved. My thoughts are with you, and RIP beautiful Sine.

Ultimately, the vet said that she was too far gone, and the distempter was ravaging her system.

... My poor husband is a wreck - he doesn't tend to let it all out, but admitted that he was alternately afraid to check on her and afraid not to ... He doesn't have the best coping system, and we may have to take a break from rescue. At least the pulling part. I think we'll continue to foster, but obviously take a break from puppies and unvaccinated dogs. I can't take the risk of exposing them to the virus.

...Do I call the shelter and tell them she had distemper? Surely they know it's there...

(edited to add that I called them and told them. The gal I talked to was the one who walked me through her adoption. She seemed surprised, but glad to know.)

I may be way off base with this but I'm shocked that poor Sine was not diagnosed at the Shelter. Is distemper that unusual a disease that no one there saw her symptoms? Although everyone of us is glad she found you guys to give her comfort at the end, she was adopted out (aka "sold") to an unsuspecting dog-lover (with other pets) with a very contagious disease who had very little time left. I can't blame you guys one bit for wanting to take a breather from this kind of rescue.

Maybe my anger here is misplaced -- after all, shelters do try to save and re-home animals and many have very little funds with which to do it. I'm mad at whoever her family was and how they could abandon her and let her get so sick. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

Danielle, in all of our books, you and your husband are amazing.

Ailsa