BC Boards

Sunscreen for muzzle?

powerfulgazelle

Kip's snout fur is very velvety, fine, and, especially on the top aspect of his snout, above his nose to almost between his eyes, very sparse. He has lovely pink skin showing underneath, especially on the all-white side of his face. My concern is...he looks like he'd be ripe for sunburn.

Can one sunscreen a dog? Is there some sort that is, um, edible/nontoxic, in case he licks it off? I saw some products listed when I Googled it at $13 a bottle, but have no experience with this... Our last sunburn-susceptible-snouted dog was the English bulldog...and she could never tolerate heat enough to ever worry about being out in the sun...

When Fergie was younger, she had a pink square in the middle of her black nose. We were about to take her to the beach for a week. The vet said to either put zinc oxide on it or to mark it over with indelible marker. Because it was too easy to lick and the rest of the nose was black, we chose the marker. Worked a charm. And, indelible as it was, it wore of once we got home.

But I assume the zinc oxide is safe - if the vet suggested it.

I use zinc oxide for Sophie (my black dog who somehow gets a sunburned snout every year :rolleyes: ).

I know zinc is probably not very good for her to ingest, but she doesn't like the taste of it, so it mainly stays on her nose.

However, everytime she wears it, I get the line "white stuff on my nose!" from the song "I wanna be a lifeguard" stuck in my head, which makes me laugh before making me want to shoot myself in the head.

Kip's snout fur is very velvety, fine, and, especially on the top aspect of his snout, above his nose to almost between his eyes, very sparse. He has lovely pink skin showing underneath, especially on the all-white side of his face. My concern is...he looks like he'd be ripe for sunburn.

Can one sunscreen a dog? Is there some sort that is, um, edible/nontoxic, in case he licks it off? I saw some products listed when I Googled it at $13 a bottle, but have no experience with this... Our last sunburn-susceptible-snouted dog was the English bulldog...and she could never tolerate heat enough to ever worry about being out in the sun...

There is a dog/cat sunscreen product (at least one) comercially available, but persnoally I have always used zinc oxide on my dogs with lack of pigment on the top of their muzzles. They've never shown any signs of licking at it. Sometimes people here Down Under will make fashion statements with the colour of the zinc oxide they use. Personally, I stick with white :rolleyes: .

I find the advantage of using zinc oxide is that you can see when you need to reapply - with the clear sunscreen products, you have to remember.

BTW, my vet is happy with the zinc oxide for the dogs, but advises against it for cats (who will of course obsessively lick it off - not good for them.)

Thank you!

Also...anyone with a split face/white face dog: Is there anything "special" about the white-sided eye? I know this isn't a well-formulated question, but, Kip's white-sided eye has completely white eyelashes, and the skin surrounding the eye and the lid is very pale pink, with only a touch of dark "eyeliner". In the summer, will he need any protection around this eye? Just curious, because I notice that this is always the eye with, um, "eye goobers". (Nothing infectious looking, just eye goo....)

Rusty has a red-head's complexion and I put waterproof baby sunscreen on his pink spots on his snout with no problem.

I don't have a split face dog, but on occasion my pups will get "sleepers" in the corners of their eyes. I think that it's a natural self-cleaning mechanism of the eye, although it may have some tie to allergies. I usually just wipe it away with a damp cloth. My vet told me that if the discharge continues throughout the day and you find it builds up, however, you should seek medical assistance.

Thank you!

Also...anyone with a split face/white face dog: Is there anything "special" about the white-sided eye? I know this isn't a well-formulated question, but, Kip's white-sided eye has completely white eyelashes, and the skin surrounding the eye and the lid is very pale pink, with only a touch of dark "eyeliner". In the summer, will he need any protection around this eye? Just curious, because I notice that this is always the eye with, um, "eye goobers". (Nothing infectious looking, just eye goo....)

Mine has pink eyelids on his white half, with black eyeliner in the corner, both on the upper and lower lids. He gets minimal eye goo, just when he wakes up (unless he's playing in the dirt), and he gets an equal amount on both eyes, both of his white and his black halves. And no, I never put sunscreen on his eyes. I've put some on his muzzle, right above his black nose, his skin is pink and the hairs very fine.

Taj has a big pink spot on his snout, so I use zinc oxide for that. He dosn't like it but dosn't try to lick it off either. I will have to do the same with Trinity's snout and nose which has pink spots (she is 13 weeks, does anyone know if there is any chance her nose will go completely black as she gets older?). Both her eyes have pink lids...I'm kind of thinking we may need doggles to protect her eyes, although I doubt she would be willing to wear them!

Start putting the doggles on now, while she is little. She'll get used to them. We used to do pretty much everything that dogs don't like to Roxy (playing with their ears, feet, teeth, picking them up) so that when we had to-she would be used to it all. She will wear doggles, or doggie costumes! :rolleyes:

.... Trinity's snout and nose which has pink spots (she is 13 weeks, does anyone know if there is any chance her nose will go completely black as she gets older?).

Ouzo had a pink thunder on his nose, which got filled in by the time he was about 3.5 months old. In the same time, Ido (SincereArtisan's merle girl) had a lot of pink on her nose and she still has, now that she's matured. Trinity has a lot of pink, who knows, she might keep a bit of pink just to make her even cutter than she already is :rolleyes: But my guess is she'll end up with a black nose and just pink skin above it, just like Ouzo.

Taj has a big pink spot on his snout, so I use zinc oxide for that. He dosn't like it but dosn't try to lick it off either. I will have to do the same with Trinity's snout and nose which has pink spots (she is 13 weeks, does anyone know if there is any chance her nose will go completely black as she gets older?). Both her eyes have pink lids...I'm kind of thinking we may need doggles to protect her eyes, although I doubt she would be willing to wear them!

Michelle, it's probably an old wives' tale - but shouldn't do any harm anyway - but it's said that giving them powedered kelp in their food can help to darken eyes, pigment etc. I did it with my guys for their first 12 months or so - got it from a horse feed supplier. As I say, it's one of those things that if it does no good, it'll probably do no harm.

Agree about starting with the doggles early - oh, and you could try a peaked cap (seriously).

Gypsy has had problems with her "white eye" when she was a puppy she had quite a bit of pink skin around it and as we virtually live at the beach it got burnt a few times ,I tried doggles which she hated and eventually destroyed and I bought her a dog cap but never had the heart to make her wear it ,too many bad childhood memories of being forced to wear daggy things and looking like a nerd LOL.I also tried to put special animal suncreen on it but was gone in a few blinks so have just been more sunsmart with her .This year suddenly more black appeared on the lower lid so problem solved.weird but true !I still put zinc on her nose if we are out for the day.My vet advised against tattooing because it still burns you just dont see it ,gives a false sense of security

Barb, I was actually thinking of a cap, I had one years ago for my JRT. Trin would look very cute in one. Of course she would probably hate me:) I actually have some kelp tablets so I might try them and see if it helps.

I am kind of hoping that it goes black though, because sunburn and skin cancer is a big concern where we are.

Michelle

The rescue org I volunteer with is having their annual auction currently. One of the items I'm bidding on (yeah, I'm currently high bidder :rolleyes: ) is the K-9 Kool Hat (not the cowboy model-the Patriotic) for Minnie who is very sensitive to sun, especially because she has a white head and pink on her eye lids. You can't tell from the picture but the hat is a ball cap type model that will offer some protection. Scroll half way down on the page.

http://www.cmarket.com/auction/item/Browse...tionId=60539614

I think if you click on the actual item there's a link there to the product website with better photos.

Cheza had a lot of pink spots on her nose as a puppy, but it is completely black now. She also has the split face, so now I am worried about her white eye burning. That eye is mostly pigmented on the bottom now, but the top has white eye lashes.

We are going to the ocean Easter weekend with her. Maybe I should try to get her used to doggles.

Puppy Pink nose

PC1500041.jpg

Black Nose

P2250011.jpg

• 5 months later...

How about after sunburn care?

My whiteheaded Loki has very pink eyelids. His nose is black and he has a pink, now tan patch on his snout. It's been a hot, dry summer here (unlike the rest of Ontario) and he runs around and swims all day. His eyes are runny and crusty every morning. All I've been doing is wiping them off with wet washcloths and checking for irritants.

He's not going to stop running and I dont think its ever going to rain, so is there anything I can do to soothe the eyes?