BC Boards

Canine Dressage

This was posted on another board. Its beautiful to watch and the joy on the dogs face is unmistakeable. Rescues can do!

Here is a bit more infor on this dynamic team

http://www.shropshirestar.com/2007/02/top-...-hits-big-time/

I am exhausted just watching that - so much work just for one routine. It really was lovely.

Did anyone see the neon green pant suit ladies on the same channel? Lovely? . . .Not so much . . . :D:rolleyes:

Cool routine, but I had to wonder if the dog's neck ever gets tired from being held nearly straight up like that (the antithesis of what you'd want in a dressage horse). I think it would have looked much nicer if the dog's head had been held in a more natural position throughout the routine.

J.

Cool routine, but I had to wonder if the dog's neck ever gets tired from being held nearly straight up like that (the antithesis of what you'd want in a dressage horse). I think it would have looked much nicer if the dog's head had been held in a more natural position throughout the routine.

J.

That's funny. I was thinking the exact same thing!

Its beautiful to watch and the joy on the dogs face is unmistakeable.

That's what I love. She just looked like she was having a great time and that was an amazing freestyle routine. I'm with Mr. Snappy--I don't usually care for freestyle UNLESS it's done by the best of the best. Then it's really awesome. I'm sure everyone has seen the freestyle routine where the woman is dressed like charlie chaplin but that one also really blew me away.

Wow, yup I had runny eyes

In a different league from the usual stuff - which I do love

But it just looked so simple and right - like that is just what they do and there is no training at all (which tells you just how much training really went in)

I loved watching the croud too - to start with moveing around a bit but then when they realised they were watching something truly clever and special they were all as glued to it as I was

There is a class next month - might have to sign me n Ben up

Wow, yup I had runny eyes

In a different league from the usual stuff - which I do love

But it just looked so simple and right - like that is just what they do and there is no training at all (which tells you just how much training really went in)

I loved watching the croud too - to start with moveing around a bit but then when they realised they were watching something truly clever and special they were all as glued to it as I was

There is a class next month - might have to sign me n Ben up

WOW. I actually saw this before, but watching it again, I am just as amazed. Thanks for posting the link--I have it as a favorite now. What a neat idea to model a dog freestyle routine after a dressage musical freestyle! I loved the tempi changes, too!! The Spanish Walk was also very cool, when they both lift and extend their legs together and hold them in the air....maybe that is how she taught the tempi changes, and then asked for the Spanish Walk while in motion? *Racking brain now to think of how to teach Mojo tempi changes.* :D My favorite part, though, is when they are doing the back-to-back, the dog's tail is sticking out between her handler's legs and is wagging!! :rolleyes: I think the whole routine just seems so serene, and they are obvously having fun together. I think the nice, soothing music helps a lot to create that impression, but I love it all just the same. It really is amazing what we can do with our dogs if we put in the time, no? Sylvia Trkman is another one that just blows me away with her dedication and the level to which her dogs are trained...

Funny that the human wears equestrian attire.

I get the impression that the equestrian theme is a favorite of this particular handler.

She wore a similar equestrian costume in another routine that she did a while back. In that one, the dog is playing a horse that is meant to jump a hurdle, but every time the horse (actually, the dog!) is meant to jump, he does something different. He goes under the jump one time, he goes around it, he does tricks instead of jumping. All of this is woven very neatly into an entire Freestyle routine.

At the end the horse (dog) takes the jump and the whole crowd cheers!

I wish the video were posted on Youtube, but it doesn't seem to be.

This is one of the most beautiful and skilful routines I have seen, that dog is thoroughly enjoying herself. I am teaching Taj different moves just for fun. Freestyle is not a sport here yet, I'm sure it will be in a few years, but I don't think I could get up in front of crowd and 'perform' like that, so I admire anyone who can:)

I absolutely love watching freestyle/canine dance routines of this quality that clearly show the repect and mutual trust between dog and owner...the elderly lady, badly attired and badly performed vaudeville acts...not so much.

Michelle

Sandra Davis and Pepper were regular performers at the Annual Houston Dog Show for a number of years. I was always impressed by their performances. I was amazed that they had 5 or so different routines that they would do throughout the day during the show. Sandra lost Pepper last year at 14. I am not sure why, but there are only a few videos of them on You Tube... what a pity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85HwT0fS9uk