BC Boards

She Escaped!!

I keep Maggie, my 7 week old B/c in an ex-pen in my kitchen. Its got a 6' x 6' Linolium flooring. Everythings been fine until today. I came home from work at lunch, and she had escaped and pooped all over my kitchen. She spared me of pooping on my carpet. Has anyone had young puppies escape? My X-pen is a Midwest 548-48. Pretty heavy & stout.

She knew as soon as I came in that she had been a bad girl, and cowered. I had a firm talking to with her. I will purchase a top for it and secure the bottom of the pen to the linolium. Any suggestions? Another post to follow.

Donald could escape from a 40" high x-pen before he was four months old. Get a crate!!!! It's great you can come home at lunch to check on her. If they get too frustrated in an x-pen they could move it around or tip it, and get caught in the falling folds. That could lead to serious injury or worse.

I left a rabbit bottle attached to the crate so the pup would have water to drink without having water to play in. He learned to drink from it.

Try the top or else a crate. As an aside, she is only 7 weeks old so had no idea what your "firm talking to" was about. Really, even older dogs don't connect corrections hours or even minutes after the fact to what they did wrong, much less an infant who does not have control of her eliminations. You wouldn't give a human baby a firm talking to for pooping on the floor if she got out of her diapers, would you? If she cowered right away when you walked in, my guess is she reacted to your reaction at seeing the mess in the kitchen. Please don't teach her to be afraid of you or increase her anxiety when she is left alone. That can lead to all kinds of problems very quickly and can play havoc with her trust in you.

Try the top or else a crate. As an aside, she is only 7 weeks old so had no idea what your "firm talking to" was about. Really, even older dogs don't connect corrections hours or even minutes after the fact to what they did wrong, much less an infant who does not have control of her eliminations. You wouldn't give a human baby a firm talking to for pooping on the floor if she got out of her diapers, would you? If she cowered right away when you walked in, my guess is she reacted to your reaction at seeing the mess in the kitchen. Please don't teach her to be afraid of you or increase her anxiety when she is left alone. That can lead to all kinds of problems very quickly and can play havoc with her trust in you.

I missed that in the origional post. I agree she had no idea that she'd done anything wrong and was just reacting to your displeasure. If your bc is anything like mine, they are very sensitive and in tune with even the slightest stress in a persons voice or actions. I would save any "scolding" to times when you catch her in the act, and even then an "ah ah" and taking her quickly outside will do the trick. Right now she is so young, it's probably physically impossible for her to hold it, I'd just clean up the mess and move on.

What Liz said, absolutely!

Some precocious puppies can climb out of X-pens. Aside from the obvious lack-of-containment problem, the pup risks breaking a leg if it hangs it in the X-pen as it goes over the side (or even while attempting to climb from the inside). If you are able to come home and check on her at lunch and let her out to run around a bit, then I'd go ahead and transition to a crate. She'll be safer there.

As for the "talking to" Liz said it best. A dog has no idea why it's being scolded after the fact. If you don't catch her in the act, scolding is pointless. Keep it up and she'll soon associate your entering the room with bad things (i.e., a scolding). Next thing you know you'll have a fearful dog and you'll be wondering why.

J.

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I've learned a little today. I do go home at lunch to check on her. So, you think its OK to crate her for 4 to 5 hours at a time if I come home for a good run? Sounds alot safer to me.

I think it would certainly be a better alternative (and much safer) than the x-pen.

I am not sure how long a pup can "hold it" when confined in a crate during the daytime - I was thinking that the general thought is one hour per month of age but I'm not sure if I am remembering correctly. In my experience, pups the age of yours can go for four hours at night before needing a trip outside. Some one else will surely give you good advice on that.

You can use the search function at the top of the page to find relevant threads concerning crate-training. It is a very useful and worthwhile thing to train your pup, that may very well be helpful in numerous ways throughout her life.

Best wishes!

My main concern about a crate when you origionally posted about getting her at 6 weeks, was that she wouldn't be able to hold it and then wouldn't be able to move away from it in her crate. Given the safety concerns though, and the fact that you are able to come home at lunch, I'll say definitely get a crate.

The general rule of thumb is to take the puppy's age in months, add one and you have the number of hours the average puppy can go without going potty. So an 8 week puppy is 2 months + 1 = 3 hours. That's said, some can hold it slightly longer and others not so long.

If you buy a large crate and put a puppy pad on one side, the puppy will have room to move away from the mess. Later on (when she can physically hold it until you get home mid-day), remove the puppy pad and use the divider to make the crate small enough that she can't move away and she should learn not to go in the crate at all.

Lisa

Putting the puppy pad at the back of the crate is a good plan. That way the pup doesn't have to walk through the mess to get to you.

She could be one of those dogs who is not happy unless the puppy pad is torn to shreds, I had the best luck with plain newspaper.

Keep us informed on your/her progress!

For what it's worth, when we got our puppy, she was crated until house broken and then we just placed a baby gate in the hallway so she had a good 10x4 area to play and do whatever durring the day whithout chewing the hell out of the rest of the house. The funny part is the baby gate was only about 3 feet high and she could actually jump it or knock it over if she wanted to, but never even botherd!