BC Boards

Tiga ate soap

So Tiga ate about 3/4 of a bar of baby soap tonight. My SIL is visiting with her baby and somehow he found it and ate it. I called the emergency vet and they said it's not too dangerous and that he'll probably throw up but other then that it shouldn't be too harmful. So I'm just waiting for the long night we may have ahead. Anyone else have this happen? Anything I can do to make this easier?

So Tiga ate about 3/4 of a bar of baby soap tonight. My SIL is visiting with her baby and somehow he found it and ate it. I called the emergency vet and they said it's not too dangerous and that he'll probably throw up but other then that it shouldn't be too harmful. So I'm just waiting for the long night we may have ahead. Anyone else have this happen? Anything I can do to make this easier?

All the time when Flyboy was a pup. I don't ever remember his tummy being upset from it. He also ate toilet paper and had a blast blowing bubbles in the toilet. I got him mid July during a HOT summer and if the bathroom door was left open he was in there hanging out on the cool tile.

:rolleyes: My Fergus is a confirmed soap eater! He actually prefers rose-scented soap, but is not super fussy. All the soaps in my house are up out of his reach - as long as I remember it.

Fergus is 6 now - hasn't grown out of it - but it doesn't seem to have hurt him any.

Some years ago, I posted on a list that my Boxer had eaten a half bar of dove soap. I was very concerned, and I could be wrong, but I think it was this forum.... Anyway, when I asked what might happen, someone said "maybe he will spread wings and spread peace throughout the world". I just about DIED laughing. I will never forget that- thanks, whoever it was!

Yesterday must have been "let's all eat the soap" day! My Tristan ate half a bar of Dove yesterday a.m. He finally threw it up sometime overnight! And this is a dog who had a very strong opinion on dehydrated fish skins - LOL!

Kathy

Well we got through the night and he didn't throw up once. Thank you all for the reassurance that he's going to be fine. I was expecting there to be bubbles everywhere but we haven't even seen one. lol.

Thanks for the video Kathy, very entertaining first thing in the morning.

An oldtimer once told me that dogs eat bar soap because it is made with fats/lards and emulified oils.

Pearl stole a few bars when she was young, I caught her in the act a few times and she sure looked happy about what she had just pilfered from the bathroom, sort of the same intense look they get when the find something highly desired, like road kill or a rotting carcass.

Bailey LOVES to lick the bar of soap that hubby uses - I think it is Irish Spring. I'm sure he'd eat it if he had the chance. I remember getting soap in my mouth when I was younger when I swore and it tastes disgusting! Not sure why dogs like it!

I have to admit as soon as I read the title of this thread, I had this vision of Tiga hick-upping bubble like in "Snow White". I was hoping for some Doppey style pictures of Tiga :rolleyes:

Kathy, that video was fantastic :D I never heard of dried fish skins before :D

Tammy, I'm really glad to hear that Tiga seems to be none the worse after eating soap!!

Kathy, O. M. G. I just about died laughing at your video. That was really fantastic! Tristan's face when Emily stole his fish skin was just priceless--just about the same look on his face when the baby gate fell on his skateboard. :rolleyes: Weird Al, of course, is always appropriate in any setting....YAY for posting that!!!!

I had a G. Ret for 14 1/2 yrs that was a confirmed soap, and butter thief. Whole bars of soap, and whole tubs or sticks of butter, he'd steal them and gobble them up in a heart beat. We learned real quick, not to have him in the back of the truck with groceries, he'd pass up perfectly good ground round for a tub of butter. Needless to say, neither ever gave him any real problems, we all suspected he had an iron stomach. The big joke was when we'd found he'd eaten another bar of soap, was to get him a big drink of water, then sit around and wait for him to start farting bubbles. (it never happened :rolleyes: ) but what the vet told me about why he did it, Ive never been convinced was true, because he'd eat any soap that was out, (bar soap) but he told me that he ate the soap because it smelled like us, and that that is why he ate it. Something to do with an insecurity issues. The butter? Who knows, but we ended up having to start keeping the soap in an enclosed soap holder so that we wouldnt have to buy stock in a soap company just to stay stocked. I never noticed that he had a preference for any particular brand, and he tried many. But aside from a few Irish Spring scented burps, we never saw that it ever caused him any harm.