BC Boards

My boy is in the hospital...

mbc1963

For all the reactivity issues and snarling fights Buddy has had, he's never really wounded or been wounded by another dog. Today he decided to PLAY with a cattle dog for a change, and he seems to have nearly done himself in!

He was playing chase/tag, and let out a horrible yelp. I thought he must have twisted his leg. He came to me, limping with his back leg up, so I checked his leg all over. His leg seemed fine, and the walk continued. Once home, Buddy was really clingy and wouldn't NOT go on the couch, which is forbidden. I checked his leg out again. Nothing! So I went to go see a movie. I still felt feverish and flu-y myself, so halfway through the (uninspiring) movie, I came home.

Upon greeting Buddy, I scratched his chest, and he yelped. Lo and behold, there is a 2" gash/puncture wound going fairly deep into his front chest, under his right armpit. Poor baby! He couldn't lie down because it hurt too much. I think he must have impaled himself jumping over a snow-covered log. So I drove him up to the e-vet (luckily, the county e-vet is about 10 minutes from me), and they took him in to sedate him so they can go in to clean out the wound, remove any sticks/wood that might be stuck in there, and stitch him up.

My poor boy. I have never so much as left him in a kennel.

Mary

For all the reactivity issues and snarling fights Buddy has had, he's never really wounded or been wounded by another dog. Today he decided to PLAY with a cattle dog for a change, and he seems to have nearly done himself in!

He was playing chase/tag, and let out a horrible yelp. I thought he must have twisted his leg. He came to me, limping with his back leg up, so I checked his leg all over. His leg seemed fine, and the walk continued. Once home, Buddy was really clingy and wouldn't NOT go on the couch, which is forbidden. I checked his leg out again. Nothing! So I went to go see a movie. I still felt feverish and flu-y myself, so halfway through the (uninspiring) movie, I came home.

Upon greeting Buddy, I scratched his chest, and he yelped. Lo and behold, there is a 2" gash/puncture wound going fairly deep into his front chest, under his right armpit. Poor baby! He couldn't lie down because it hurt too much. I think he must have impaled himself jumping over a snow-covered log. So I drove him up to the e-vet (luckily, the county e-vet is about 10 minutes from me), and they took him in to sedate him so they can go in to clean out the wound, remove any sticks/wood that might be stuck in there, and stitch him up.

My poor boy. I have never so much as left him in a kennel.

Mary

Oh! Fingers and paws crossed here for nothing too serious and a quick recovery. Will they need to keep Buddy overnite?

Yup... just as predicted, they got in and out really quickly on the wound. Groggy boy came home last night about midnight, and now he's just woken up and is eating his breakfast. He's got a ziti-looking drain in the wound for a day, but I think I can get by without an E-collar.

To my surprise, he was actually kind of sheepish and well-behaved to the vet staff at the hospital. No growling, snarling, or reactivity!

Mary