BC Boards

This whole Rally is confusing

I've always been on the obedience end of training, but my trainer has thrown in some rally things. I'm very glad they have signs. If you go in blind, it is very confusing if you have never done it before. I'm very glad she has the patience of a Saint. It seems that Usher is enjoying it more than the formal ...........are you ready? Forward......LOL. It makes him think. Sundays they have a little practice group here and we are starting. Now if I can only get my 270 turns and my 360 turns straightened out I think we will do fine. After a 1/2 hour class my dog was mentally pooped. Me too. :rolleyes: Can anyone recommend any good books on rally? Thanks.

Dianne

A DVD might be better. If I "see it" I bet it's easier to learn.

AKC has a good pamphlet that explains all of the rally signs. There aren't any pictures, but at least you can put words to the signs. Rally is fun once you get used to it. My male BC loves it. We're working on our RAE and he has qualified every time in the ring so far. Obedience was a different story.

Emily

Thank you so much. I just found out that my suspicions about Bailey were true. She is indeed a Barbie collie. My trainer is also an obedience judge and rally judge and travels over the US and has seen her fair share of both. She took one look at her and was quite surprised to see me with one. I have taken on a different training style with her, she works for cheese. As the others I was more rigid. Old school, I guess you would call it. I just sent in the papers (don't kill me folks) there is only one event near me and it's in October so we only have 5 days to earn a title- for what it's worth. They are no longer ILP'd they are PAL'd. That will show you how much I know. I'll send in for that booklet. And if anyone knows of any other sponsored event NOT involving the ACK (with I googled instead of AKC- you have to laugh at that one) where I don't have to leave my mother over-night. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks-

Dianne

Hi Dianne

We've just started to introduce some rally at our club - to liven up their basic obedience - no competitions here yet. It's certainly good for tidying up handling, and making dogs and handlers think - almost as good as agility :rolleyes: , and do-able by people who can't manage agility.

I haven't tried, but one of the other instructors said there are some good things on Youtube - guess you could do a search on Rally-O there. (I'd do it for you, but I'm on dial-up bery slow.)

I have the Bud Kramer manual - that's what I've worked from. Dogwisw has that one, and a couple of others.

Have fun

Dazzle definitely likes Rally better than formal obedience I think. Although she does really like the returning.....

Anyway, the other place (besides the mixed breed dog clubs - some of which do allow purebreds as well) that offers Rally is the APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers). I believe that ASCA (Australian Shepherd Club of America) also does the obedience things like rally/formal/etc (open to mixed and purebred dogs) - I think after the AKC, ASCA is the next biggest one - at least around here. Those would be some good non-AKC ones that you could check out. :rolleyes:

For a good book, I recommend Pam Dennison's "Click Your Way to Rally Obedience". It details all of the signs up until the last round of changes in both APDT and AKC, but it still has descriptions of the bulk of them, and there are great suggestions no how to train them.

In spite of the title, it is a Rally book, not a clicker book. I was disappointed in that regard when I got it, but it's still an excellent Rally book.

I enjoy Rally a lot. It's confusing at first, but once you get some practice, it makes a lot of sense.

I also recommend APDT Rally if they have it near you.

Oh, and for the signs - is your instructor using them, or are the exercises being called out to you?

If your instructor is using the signs, one way to keep the 270 and the 360 straight is to look at the diagram on the sign instead of reading the words.

Here's a link to the AKC web site for their Rally signs:

instructions

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/ROR999.pdf

signs

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/events/rally/new_r..._signs_2007.pdf

We've really enjoyed Rally. It holds Georgia's attention much better than traditional obediance. In the beginning I had alot of trouble with the 270s, too.

I'm so excited to see that someone else is doing this. Blaze and I have our first class on March 16th, I'm missing Gator Nationals for it and I never miss Nationals. (I really love horse power)

Got any suggestions for me, at least along the be prepared for list.....

Check out the book by Marie Sawford called Rally On. It explains each of the sign and how to perform each station with training tips. She also covers the sign variations for each of the parent organizations (i.e. AKC, APDT). It is one of my refernce books and I use it all the time to study and train.

mobcmom

I believe that APDT started Rally, and AKC essentially hijacked it.

Solo and I went through one session of Rally. He thought it was pretty boring, and kept gazing longingly at the agility equipment piled up along the wall. Our instructors were very impressed by him and thought we would rack up titles easily, but there is no APDT around here and I refuse to have anything to do with AKC.

Solo did learn to like heeling though.

*I* really liked Rally but both Bear and Lou thought it was rather boring. Lou was excited to do something that involved cheese, but even that lost its appeal after a while. Bear enjoyed some of stuff (he is a terrifically enthusiastic heeler) but was meh about some of the other exercises. That call front, one step back, two step back thing really annoyed him. We have CARO as the main rally favour here, though our class used the AKC signs as that was the venue of choice for most of the participants.

I wish my dogs liked it more, but oh well.

Usher loves rally-o. Me........still confused. :rolleyes: yet, a very nice group that have been there- done that. So yet........we move on to next Sunday were we hope our 270's and 360's don't get messed up and our left and rights are more on Que- BTW- I read the life of Dean Dog- very very cute and interesting- WTG!!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I mean to keep it updated, so there is much more to come!!

One thing you could do with your turns is practice them at home without the dog.

The thing in Rally is that if you know what you're doing and the dog is trained to do the exercises, then you can give more of your attention to the signs. Following them becomes second nature once you've done it a while!

HEY!!! That's a good one- without the dog! never thought of that- LOL. There WERE no signs - I was so lost. The good thing is that my dog was looking for me for assurance- sorry hon- not there- Yes. I guess "I" should practice. GREAT IDEA!!!!! NO DOG- just me. wonderful idea. Thanks!!!

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I had another big Rally class. Again no signs. This is quite frustrating for me and (I noticed) a few others. It's just a big practice- nothing formal. Rally, then obedience. It was kind of confusing, because of the date changes because of Easter Sunday. One gal thought she was supposed to host and so did another- glad to see their are so many that actually know what they are doing- LOL. Well, the one gal said "I don't have time to go get my dog" and I promptly responded- I always carry a spare (Bailey) She said great- She asked if she had to pay to the group leader, my trainer- I said oh no- I will pay your way, but Alice said I only had to pay for one dog. It was great to see someone else handle Bailey and also see Usher and Bailey in a class together. I WILL have to explain this to my trainer about the signs and how so many of us novice's were going in the wrong direction, etc... people looking at ME (like I knew what I was doing) and me looking at them for the same reason. I KNOW you can order those signs from AKC, but that's more $ in their pocket. Also, I don't have a printer.

I, finally met the woman with the ACK BC. A lot of people asked what breed her dog was. Strange!!!!!! I asked her if he was a "sable colored" she said he was red & white :rolleyes: She's "showing" him next week-end. She asked for help in the "stand-stay" area, apparently what she was there for was to work with other people laying their hands on him. But, what the heck. I said "I'll do it. I've watched enough animal planet shows to make me an expert- LOL" She had me open his mouth and I asked if she wanted me to "figgy" with his parts- She said yes. Usher has no parts, so this was tricky- LOL. Also, I was worried about how much I should "figgy". He was really beautiful, IF you knew he was a BC- I looked at Bailey's structure and stance and saw that in her. I might have "misspoken" mentioning the difference in ACK between your good ole ABCA dogs. But, well..... they just are different. This dog had no "spark" no nothing. He was 4 years old, so you expected him to be more "settled" than Usher- but....well, it just goes to show you, it's not the same dog.

Is this the dog you're talking about? They refer to that color as "ee" red. I am not sure what the difference is between that and "gold and white" ... Does anyone know if there is a difference?

Jodi

yes- how did you find that? I didn't even know her name.

I WILL have to explain this to my trainer about the signs and how so many of us novice's were going in the wrong direction, etc... people looking at ME (like I knew what I was doing) and me looking at them for the same reason. I KNOW you can order those signs from AKC, but that's more $ in their pocket. Also, I don't have a printer.

Is there any way you could get access to a printer? There are signs available for free download on the APDT website. They have them divided by levels - scroll to the bottom of this page.

http://www.apdt.com/po/rally/forms/default.aspx

They also have a description of how each sign is performed in their rules.

You could then either glue them to cardboard, or get them laminated.

Maybe someone else in your group could print them for you? You guys really will enjoy it much more if you can get signs and make Rally courses.

Edited: I had the original source of the signs incorrect and have corrected this information.

Is there any way you could get access to a printer? There are signs available for free download on the APDT website. They have them divided by levels - scroll to the bottom of this page.

http://www.apdt.com/po/rally/forms/default.aspx

They also have a description of how each sign is performed in their rules.

You could then either glue them to cardboard, or get them laminated.

Maybe someone else in your group could print them for you? You guys really will enjoy it much more if you can get signs and make Rally courses.

Edited: I had the original source of the signs incorrect and have corrected this information.

Hi,

You can also go to the AKC website and find discriptions of all of their excercises and can print the signs out if you can get access to a printer

http://www.akc.org/rules/index.cfm

Janet

I have been doing Rally with first my Bouviers and then my BC's since it's inception as a sport and before it became a competition sport for the AKC. It is a lot more fun than formal obedience. I am now doing it with Ruby, my high drive girl and she loves it. Ruby loves to be talked to, and I usually have her undivided attention on a Rally course. I second the recommendation of Pam Dennison's book, and I also recommend that you print out the signs and use them in practice. I cannot imagine a Rally class with no signs. Being able to read the signs and be comfortable with your understanding of what they mean is 90% of the battle in competition. More mistakes are made under handler error, either incorrectly performing a sign or missing one altogether for an NQ than mistakes by the dogs! They dogs take to it naturally, as the moves are all either basic obedience moves or doodles. It's the people that have the trouble! I still screw up, and how many years have I been doing it????? But we have fun, and I hope you do, too.

Kathy Robbins