BC Boards

Limping

Kenbo

One of my BC's was running in the snow and ice and she came up limping when she came in the house. She could not jump up in my chair or clim the steps. She would hold up her rear left leg. She was a little better the next day and still favored her leg and would still hold it up. After 4 days, I took her to the Vet and had her checked. She was almost well but still had a little tenderness, but checked out fine. What is your experance on this and should I watch her for something?

'Just happened to us also. My girl either pulled a ligament, tendon or something goes out in her hindquarters. She licks the flank area. I think the latter, because it comes & goes quite suddenly and I've been seeing evidence of this for a few years now. This is the vet's opinion as well. She has been xrayed--which showed that the knees were ok.

EDIT: my bad habit; i just reread this and realized it needs to be reworded:

'Just happened to us also. My girl either pulled a ligament, tendon or something goes out in her hindquarters. The vet suspects that something was pulled. We were running in sloppy snow. (I wasn't thinking until we got out there about the slickness of it all.)

She licks the flank area. Sometimes it appears as though something goes out on her, because she'll limp quite suddenly and then after a few steps, it seems to get worked out and she's off again. That said I have been trying to keep her quiet to give whatever is going on some healing space. But I've been seeing evidence of this for a few years now. She was xrayed a year ago--which showed that the knees were ok, she has dysplastic hips.

FYI - on again and off again limping on a rear leg is actually a sign of a partially torn CCL (acl as most people know it). Vets don't usually do surgery on a partially torn CCL even though it can cause some arthritis.

Truthfully, I allowed my acd to do anything she wanted when she had a partially torn CCL knowing I would do TPLO once it fully tore.

This is just a possibility with rear leg limping.

It could be a pulled muscle, dislocated toe, tweaked the knee ligaments/tendons, or even the hip area.

Rest for a few days and slowly increasing exercise can help you figure it out.

When you know the area that is injured icing the area helps.

Yup, just happened to my pup Rags too, slipped on the ice running full bore of course, pulled muscle, so its rest time for him!

This was his front right leg. I have also had a couple of pretty nicely cut toes on a couple of my other dogs, darned ole ice is kinda hard on them and of course they don't slow down one bit!!

Can't wait for spring!

Lisa H