BC Boards

Chocolate poisoning at my house

Friday was a hectic day. It was my Grandson's first birthday and my other son had just had a hernia operation and couldn't walk, so I had to pick up his two kids and my Mom and all the gifts and couldn't take the dogs. I had a pound and a half of chocolate for my BF in the pantry up high since I hadn't seen him on Valentines and forgot to shut the pantry door. Well, with border collies, where there's a will there's a way. I came home about 2 hours later only to find a box with only 4 pieces left. There were empty papers all over the house and as soon as I discovered it the door bell rang, it was my BF. He said "Call the vet". I didn't know which dog had eaten it as none had shown any signs of anything wrong.

We kept them separated and they seemed fine until Bailey hurled a nice chocolate and cream swilled barf" on my carpet. Ah Ha- the culprit. By then it was 11:30 PM and I knew I could do a better job watching her than an all night vet late at night on a Saturday night where's she be stuck in a cage. She threw up about 3 times, making it to the outside- no runs and I would check her for being lethargic or any thing going on wrong in her brain by my "watch" and see if her eyes were not holding steady. (I'm so scientific-LOL) She finally picked up at 1 AM slept fine through-out the night and was back to her old self the next morning, but we were very frightened.

I spent Christmas morning at the e-vet with mine after the shelties got on the counter and ate a plate of brownies that my dad had made, of course from scratch with bakers chocolate. It was my bright idea to close them in the kitchen so they wouldn't get into anything, like toys or paper, while gifts were being opened. :rolleyes:

Glad yours are doing better now.

She finally picked up at 1 AM slept fine through-out the night and was back to her old self the next morning, but we were very frightened.

Glad she's doing better!

I had a Dobe that did that once, I was perplexed as to "who" the guilty one was, so, they all got peroxide! Of course this was about 15 minutes after it happened....up came the fudge brownies from the Dobe about 5 minutes after his cocktail.

Karen

Friday was a hectic day. It was my Grandson's first birthday and my other son had just had a hernia operation and couldn't walk, so I had to pick up his two kids and my Mom and all the gifts and couldn't take the dogs. I had a pound and a half of chocolate for my BF in the pantry up high since I hadn't seen him on Valentines and forgot to shut the pantry door. Well, with border collies, where there's a will there's a way. I came home about 2 hours later only to find a box with only 4 pieces left. There were empty papers all over the house and as soon as I discovered it the door bell rang, it was my BF. He said "Call the vet". I didn't know which dog had eaten it as none had shown any signs of anything wrong.

We kept them separated and they seemed fine until Bailey hurled a nice chocolate and cream swilled barf" on my carpet. Ah Ha- the culprit. By then it was 11:30 PM and I knew I could do a better job watching her than an all night vet late at night on a Saturday night where's she be stuck in a cage. She threw up about 3 times, making it to the outside- no runs and I would check her for being lethargic or any thing going on wrong in her brain by my "watch" and see if her eyes were not holding steady. (I'm so scientific-LOL) She finally picked up at 1 AM slept fine through-out the night and was back to her old self the next morning, but we were very frightened.

Oh, how scary! I am glad Bailey is okay!

Many years ago, our old guy and our rock-headed English Bulldog conspired to get into mischief in the cellar while DH ate lunch. We discovered that SOMEONE had helped themselves to all sorts of nonfood items---had actually removed the cardboard/fiberglass furnace filter FROM THE FURNACE to eat it...and there was a bit of lead solder missing from where some plumbing work was in progress.

The vet told us to give each dog a few ounces of regular, OTC hydrogen peroxide by mouth to make them vomit...sort of like dog syrup of ipecac. Orlando dutifully lapped his up, barfed, and was clearly not the culprit. Molly, the pigheaded bulldog, had to have MANY doses before she belched and hacked out a little hunk of cardboard furnace filter edge. Since it is the caffeine/theobromines in chocolate that makes dogs sick, (rather than something caustic that would harm the dog on the way back up), I wonder of the hydrogen peroxide thing would work for a dog that finds the Valentine candy or pan of brownies?

ETA: Cross posted...just saw the previous post about H2O2 cocktails! :rolleyes:

I do HO if it's not caustic or sharp. If I don't know for sure, I call the vet (like the time Doug the Dog ate 200 vitamin B tablets). You can also do a teaspoon of salt in the back of the mouth if you have no HO but you must do this one carefully - one shot every ten minutes with a max of three, then off to the vet if no upchuck. You don't want to complicate matters with salt poisoning!

Also check the expiration date on the HO - it won't work that well if it's past due. That happened to me when Zhi ate two and a half tablets of cocoa (Mexican style with cocao liquor) a few weeks ago when I was taking care of some new born lambs. Zhi weighs like ten pounds - she'd eaten about a tenth her weight in very concentrated chocolate. Big time emergency - I checked the HO to make sure and was glad I did! I used salt and the whole thing came up - yum, foamy chocolate plus breakfast. That was incredibly scary but she was fine, other than being a Very Angry Small Dog and sulking most of the day.

My inlaws had a terrier who got into some Christmas candy and actually had a reaction, though it was quite mild. He did it on Christmas day and the only emergency vet in the area, at the time, was 100 miles away. They were pretty confident that the candy wasn't potent enough to cause a problem that couldn't be handled at home. He had a serious case of the tremors, and lots of drooling and nose running (from nausea, apparently), and couldn't walk straight for about two hours.

It was not the most pleasant Christmas I remember, but by lunchtime he was up and begging for scraps, though still shaky.

MANY years ago when I had my first BC mix I didn' know about chocolate and dogs. One of my favorite things to do was, after my (now ex) husband left for his 2nd shift job, bring out the pound bag of M&M's, find something good on TV and snuggle up in bed with Willie, sharing my M's with him. One for you, one for me. One for you, two for me. One for you, three for me. You get the drift. Fortunately, Willie never got sick but that's probably because I was (still am) a chocolate hog. I ate way more than I ever gave to him. It wasn't until years later I leaned what a dope I was! :rolleyes:

Needless to say, now I make all attempts to keep my dog(s) away from chocolate!

Oh- I knew this was bad. I'm just glad I'm posting it here instead of the "In Memoriam " section. I'm glad to see that even though I'm careful I'm not the only one who has made a mistake. Doubt this will help Bailey new weigh in diet for her low thyroid. I blamed Usher at first, normally, he's the one in trouble. But when I pick up the box, she was the one that went hiding.

Oh, it's so easy to innocently make, what could be, a fatal mistake! Who would have thought that grapes (and raisins) are toxic to dogs? Don't we normally think "healthy" when we think fruits & veggies? I do.

It's one of the reasons I've made the choice with Lewie not to allow him to beg or think he can have people food of any kind. I want to keep him around to be my funny boy for a good, long time. And it's the reason I've (almost) decided to go raw. Heard many good things on this board about feeding raw and done a little research which makes it sound very promising. But, that's another topic. :rolleyes:

I also wanted to add that when you dog throws up in the back yard, no matter how much you thought you picked it up well, they will, keep trying to get the last drop. Keep putting apple bitter a few times a day on the places, so they don't return to pick up what has soaked into the grass. Better safe than sorry!!

A friend of mine's dog (technically her husband's :rolleyes:) ate a basket full of grapes last fall. This was in the presence of their second dog (her's) and my bc. I have visions of this dog with a cartoon balloon above his head saying, "Oh look, grapes! I wonder what those taste like." Her dog says, "You get them down, I'll watch!" And then my dog Skye saying, "I wouldn't do that if I were you!" (I only say this because Skye is the least likely dog to raid the kitchen cupboards and doesn't like fruit). Of course all hell broke loose when they realized what happened and he was rushed to the vet. Stomach pumped, charcoal, IV over night and everybody freaked out.

Wouldn't you know it, within the same week he got into the baking chocolate. More pumping and charcoal.

Some dogs never learn. Glad yours is ok!

BTW, both grapes and raisins are now considered toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure. So no more grape tossing for fun!

A.

Well it wasn't grapes and it wasn't chocolate, but yesterday while I was at work Gypsy decided to help herself to a bag of those Valentine hearts that say "Be Mine" that my sister had left on her floor - an entire kg of them.

When I got home from work, I got the guiltiest welcome home ever from a super bloated Gypsy. Then I found 2 piles of heart filled doggy puke - both on the living room rug of course. At least I had something to read while I was cleaning :D Then at 3am she decided to puke up a bunch more half digested hearts. And then at 6am, I let her outside after she woke me up by whining (this is the dog that sleeps in till 2pm with me on lazy days) where she puked up a huge pile of candy hearts and some pieces of last night's dinner, which was also accompanied by a large amont of orange bile which showed up nice on the snow in the yard. She was seriously considering re-consuming this lovely mess when I called her back in the house.

I think sometimes she just likes to watch me clean up after her :rolleyes:

I have bee nthere too and it is VERY scary!!!! One night in the hotel room last fall I had a candy bar before bed :D and threw it away under other things and set the can on top of the tv stand. In the middle of the night I woke up to hear a candy bar wrapper being eaten. I guess I have really good hearing for stuff like that while I'm sleeping :rolleyes: I jumpped out of bed and grabbed it from him. I was scared to death. A strange place, in the middle of the night and no idea where the vets were. But luckly he only got a little bit off that was stuck to the wrapper. I sat up all night while he slept just to make sure he'd be ok. Then he was nice enough to dream in his sleep so it looked like he was dying.

I had taken Cheyenne off the truck for a while cuz someone snitched to the head office I had her on the truck(everyone knew I did, even the owner, but ignored it till someone complained)But, after a few months, I just couldn't resist the happy dance when she knew I was leaving, so I took her. I stopped somewhere and bought a box of choco covered doughnuts, the mini kind. Any way, I ate maybe 3 of them, and just tossed the box back on the bunk. Never gave it another thought. Stopped later that night for my meal, and when I came back to the truck, decided they would be a good dessert. I forgot about Cheyenne. The box was gone! Doughnuts and box! She ate the whole dang thing! I thought. The next day I found the box under my seat. She hid it! But she was ok. Didn't even throw up. I've always given dogs chocolate. Just bites here and there.

Wonder if carob has the same prob, gonna look that up.

I also wanted to add that when you dog throws up in the back yard, no matter how much you thought you picked it up well, they will, keep trying to get the last drop. Keep putting apple bitter a few times a day on the places, so they don't return to pick up what has soaked into the grass. Better safe than sorry!!

Glad to hear Bailey's ok :rolleyes: