BC Boards

The puppy is home!!

We picked up our six week old b/c puppy on Saturday. I had posted a couple of weeks ago about the breeder going through a divorce and telling me that if I wanted my chosen pup that I would have to take it at six weeks. I was'nt too happy about that, but after visiting her at 5 weeks, she proved to be a must have.

So I put her in her crate to take her home and she hated it. She whined for five minutes and then fell asleep. I stopped at a roadside rest stop about an hour down the road. She came out to potty, and went right back in. She's slept in it for both nights thats she's been here.

Then, that same night we had a bunch of people over for dinner and an outdoor fire. I thought it a bad idea, but she was'nt afraid and played with everyone. I was shocked. I was prepared to take her to a bedroom and get her used to me.

I'm not sure if it's too soon to tell, but so far:

No noise sensitivity

She's had only one little accident (pee) I caught her when she first squatted and got her outside.

She sleeps in her crate all night with no whining and no accidents. She crys a little in the morning when she needs to get out.

She already chases a ball in the house and brings it back to me.

She plays with us with a soft mouth.

She loves to cuddle.

She is running around the yard with me carrying sticks. I even heard my first bark today.

But, I can tell she is a chewer, so we are careful to supervise indoor activity, and she has lots of baby kongs and toys.

I could not be more pleased. Her name is Maggie. (thanks to the other folks on this board that have Maggies).

I took her to my Vet today and he said that she looked very healthy. He was pleased.

I know that some of these behaviours may change, but I think we are off to a good start.

I want to thank each and every one of you that have responded to my questions leading up to my bringing her home.

It's been sixteen years since I brought home my last b/c pup. Alot of things have changed since then. Back then I had never heard of x-pens, crate training, Kongs etc... Thanks again everyone. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I will. Some nice folks from this board have instructed me how to do it.

Thank you,

Dan

Congratulations Dan, family and especially Maggie!!!

Sounds like you have a real winnner. I'm actually surprised she's not sleeping in your bed on the pillow. I would like to make a bet as to how soon this will happen.... :rolleyes:

Keep us all updated,

A.