BC Boards

CGC

Joy used to have major seperation anxiety, to the point where her gums would bleed from chewing. It's not as bad. but it's still there. I practice the supervised seperation at home, giving the leash to my stepmom, but even with someone familiar she cries and paces. My mom was a CGC trainer/evaluator/somethin like that, and she told me they won't take that.

Also, do the dogs have to be in a stand for the examination portion? Will you fail if they tuck their tail a bit when 'examining' the hind quarters?

I've always understood that it's OK in the CGC for the dog to display shyness, but the dog must permit the evaluator to touch him. Speedy failed the first time because he would not allow the evaluator to touch his paws or head. But when he finally passed, he was tentative about it, but allowed it.

Around here they don't examine the hindquarters in the CGC - just ears, front paws, and head.

What I recommend for the supervised separation is a training program to help her learn to relax for 3 minutes - first with you present and then with you not present. I would start by shaping a down on a mat and, once the dog was enthusiastically offering the down on mat, reinforce her for staying there. Not a forced down-stay, but gradually increasing the duration through rewarding that duration. Once she could remain comfortably on the mat for a minute while I moved around the room and did various things and her demeanor during that time was calm, I would add in another person.

If you can teach her that lying, or sitting, beside a person while you go about your business is something rewarding and that she can relax as that happens, you can start to leave the room briefly and return, and eventually build that to a 3 minute absence. You could start with the mat, but fade it as she becomes more comfortable with relaxing by the other person's feet.

And once you get to that point, you can work on that at the training facility.

Granted, the dog doesn't have to be in a down or sit for the supervised separation, but I find that if an anxious dog has a specific job that he or she understands (like relaxing on a mat or at someone's feet), it helps the dog to be more relaxed and confident in an unusual situation. So, I would train this as "relax at someone's feet" and then teach the dog to remain relaxed at that person's feet until I return.

Joy used to have major seperation anxiety, to the point where her gums would bleed from chewing. It's not as bad. but it's still there. I practice the supervised seperation at home, giving the leash to my stepmom, but even with someone familiar she cries and paces. My mom was a CGC trainer/evaluator/somethin like that, and she told me they won't take that.

Also, do the dogs have to be in a stand for the examination portion? Will you fail if they tuck their tail a bit when 'examining' the hind quarters?

I've been teaching and testing CGC for years. Your Mom is right - She won't pass if she cries, whines, paces during the supervised separation. Try increasing the amount of time slowly. Start with 15-30 seconds, and gradually build the time. Get an idea of when she starts feeling anxious, and work just below her threshold for awhile, coming back to reward for being calm before the anxiety starts. Also, try giving her a cue, like saying "I'll be right back", walking away, coming back and rewarding the composure. If she can concentrate on maintaining composure in anticipation of you coming back to reward, it will be easier for her to deal with the longer separation.

The examination is actually a sit for exam, although I allow a stand or down as long as the dog is cooperative. The dog should not be cringing in fear, jumping on or biting the examiner; but a little bit of wiggling, tail tucking and movement is acceptable to most examiners, as long as the dog is controlled and calm. The owner can actually put a finger under the collar to steady the dog if necessary.

Laurie

Ok, thanks everyone!

I've been mat training Joy so she would *calmer* during training if I actually remember to bring it. So, from what I understand, is almost put that feeling of calm under a cue like "be right back", so she'll be calm and lay at someones feet?

I've been mat training Joy so she would *calmer* during training if I actually remember to bring it. So, from what I understand, is almost put that feeling of calm under a cue like "be right back", so she'll be calm and lay at someones feet?

That's pretty much it. The key thing is to take it slow and make sure she's really relaxed before increasing the duration of her being there, and you being out of sight.