BC Boards

My ducks are quackers!

KrisK

It's February...and it's cold (although the weekend wasn't) We'll be going back down to the low -20'sC to possibly the -30 range tonight and for the balance of the week. My SILLY ducks are laying eggs!! :rolleyes: I certainly didn't expect any eggs now so we missed picking them up on Friday before they were frozen solid. I gathered up eggs on the weekend and another one this morning. So, are these truly 'northern' ducks and is this too early for eggs???

Of course, the fresh eggs means I have to start baking again :D

It's February...and it's cold (although the weekend wasn't) We'll be going back down to the low -20'sC to possibly the -30 range tonight and for the balance of the week. My SILLY ducks are laying eggs!! :rolleyes: I certainly didn't expect any eggs now so we missed picking them up on Friday before they were frozen solid. I gathered up eggs on the weekend and another one this morning. So, are these truly 'northern' ducks and is this too early for eggs???

Of course, the fresh eggs means I have to start baking again :D

Hey Kris,

Poultry lay based on length of daylight rather than weather/temperature, so as the days starting getting longer, they chickens and ducks start a'layin'! I already have hens sitting on eggs, which reminds me I need to go take them out--it's too early for me to bother trying to raise chicks, and I have a surfeit of roosters as it is, so don't need any more!

J.

That's correct - waterfowl are all brooding now, depending on how much daylight you're getting. Ducks lay a clutch over the course of about 24 days and then will incubate the lot together - usually around 14 to 18. Of those obviously some will be duds (frozen, infertile, defective) so you might get 50% hatch.

Unless they are dropping the eggs right on the bare ground, it will take a lot to freeze them. Those temps will do it, however. :rolleyes:

Actually, I did find one egg on the ground next to the house (they free range). It's too darn cold to have any ducklings around so I'll be gathering the eggs. Either that, or I'm going to blindfold them so they can't see too much light and quit laying :rolleyes:

WF haven't started laying here. Days are longer, but no eggs yet. They start pairing now, and sometime about beginning of March they lay. Eggs hatch, for geese around 30 days (or less) later. The ducks at the golf course have paired up now, and we have a mute swan female. No geese though. Saw Wigeons yesterday too- man are they pretty.

What it means is that you are a darn good duck rancher, Kris!

Living conditions are harsh here in February. The days are getting longer, but if your birds are cold and poorly fed, they will be too busy just surviving to be able to produce eggs.

The old farmer where I board the colts got 6 nice laying hens in November. He was getting eggs regularly but in January, the hens started eating their eggs. Now, they have quit laying altogether and he is threatening them with the soup-pot. I was puzzled too, until he mentioned that hens just scratch for their food and you dont have to feed them.

I guess he hasnt noticed that there is nothing to scratch for, no bugs or grains or greens, in the dead of winter. I bring them all my compost scraps and I spill horse oats on purpose to give them a little bit, but poor little hens....

I have Pekins and don't expect they'll lay until I start feeding them laying rations or until the bugs start coming out in force again. Since the wild animals are very hungry, I'd prefer if they didn't start raising families until the guard dogs have less to do protecting the newborn lambs.

The girls have been getting visits from wild Mallards. I'm hoping for some pretty babies from that, though I imagine they will mostly be white.

The old farmer where I board the colts got 6 nice laying hens in November. He was getting eggs regularly but in January, the hens started eating their eggs. Now, they have quit laying altogether and he is threatening them with the soup-pot. I was puzzled too, until he mentioned that hens just scratch for their food and you dont have to feed them.

I guess he hasnt noticed that there is nothing to scratch for, no bugs or grains or greens, in the dead of winter. I bring them all my compost scraps and I spill horse oats on purpose to give them a little bit, but poor little hens....

One has to wonder how he made it as a farmer if he doesn't realize that good nutrition = good production. Sheesh!

J.