BC Boards

Border Collie's and Shelties

Hopefully this is the best place for this question, if it needs to be moved that is fine. We have a BC, Mystic ( I need to post a pic soon) nearly 1 year old. In the early, early stages of maybe getting a second. Again very early stages but if we do I was thinking maybe a Sheltie and just wondering if anyone has both a BC and Sheltie and your thoughts on this 'pairing'. The one concern I do have is that Sheltie's seem to be known as a 'barker'. I don't put a lot of faith in they typical stuff you can read about particular breeds and would prefer to hear from someone with true experience. My BC rarely barks and wonder if in fact the Sheltie's bark as much as I can read about them if that may become a habit for Mystic.

But mostly interested in people's experience that may have had both at one time.

Thanks

Hopefully this is the best place for this question, if it needs to be moved that is fine. We have a BC, Mystic ( I need to post a pic soon) nearly 1 year old. In the early, early stages of maybe getting a second. Again very early stages but if we do I was thinking maybe a Sheltie and just wondering if anyone has both a BC and Sheltie and your thoughts on this 'pairing'. The one concern I do have is that Sheltie's seem to be known as a 'barker'. I don't put a lot of faith in they typical stuff you can read about particular breeds and would prefer to hear from someone with true experience. My BC rarely barks and wonder if in fact the Sheltie's bark as much as I can read about them if that may become a habit for Mystic.

But mostly interested in people's experience that may have had both at one time.

Thanks

Shiner's humans could likely answer...I believe that Shiner's furry sibs are Shelties...

Welcome!

I have a BC and Sheltie. They get along fine, but are not well matched in play. That may just be Quinn (he is my first BC). Shelties love chase games, wrestling and face fighting. So does Quinn, but he doesn't seem to understand how much stronger he is than my Sheltie. He's just too rough. Consequently, she limits her play to very brief spurts.

Shelties are very sweet, gentle, sensitive dogs for the most part. Their reputation as barkers, however, is well deserved. Sassy used to be a nuisance barker outside but that was largely due to poor management on my part. She grew up with access to the backyard all day when I was at work and developed bad habits. Keeping her inside when I'm not at home and using positive reinforcement and time outs have reformed her to the point that she is by far the quietest of my three dogs. Shelties are bright little dogs so even the yapaholics can be taught not to bark if you are determined enough. If you keep on top of your Sheltie's barking, there is no reason Mystic should pick up the habit.

I love both breeds. The only reason I would not get another Sheltie after Sassy is gone is that I do think another BC would be a better fit for Quinn.

Hi. Yup, it's true. I have two shelties and a bc. :rolleyes: They go really well together imo. I had the shelties first, and adding the bc went really smoothly. The shelties do bark more than average, mostly alarm barking, like at the doorbell, phone, or other barking dogs. They do not bark as much as I expected based on what I read...I had a terrier in the past that barked waaay more, but I know it can vary, so I guess prepare for the worst with the barking, and maybe you'll be pleasently surprised like I was. My bc also rarely barks, seriously like four times a month, and so far he hasn't picked up the habit. Mine do have that similar play style, chase and tag and bitey face...it helps I think that my shelties are huge for the breed at 16 and 18 inches and 30 and 35 lbs. My shelties tire out a little easier during play, and they are also a bit more aloof in general. My bc is more of an in your face type dog, more likely to paw me for attention, but I don't know if that's a bc thing or just a Shiner thing. Both are smart and learn similarly, in two or three repetitions.

To be honest, it depends. My Sheltie does not like my BC too much because shes too rough and Yoshi my Sheltie is very soft with playing. He wont tolerate being chased, he will chase every dog, but if they turn around and start chasing him he FREAKS out. I wont be getting another Sheltie ever, they are a bit too soft and timid for my taste. Even my extremely off the walls high drive on course Sheltie is just too soft at all other times. Just me, myself personally, I would rather have a BC and BC match up rather than a BC and Sheltie match up just because of how Shelties can be.

Almost 18 years ago my son brought home a Sheltie. This was the first dog that I had since I left home. Chip must have been owned by an older couple. The best we could figure was that he got loose from someone. We never located the owner. He was pretty much a do nothing dog. We only had him a few years before he got hit by a truck.

After that, my wife bought our Springer. I was really cold to the idea of another dog for about 2 days. Casey is about the best overall dog anyone could own. She is smart, playful, great watch dog, and gentle with kids.

Three years ago I got a wild hair and started looking at different breeds. I wanted a dog for myself. I settled on getting a Border Collie after seeing just one and doing a bunch of research. I would have to think long and hard before I purchased any other breed. While Springers are a better fit for most people, Ruger is by far the bestest dang dog I have ever been around. As Casey gets older, I have to be careful on how far I walk with her or how hard we play. However, when the chips are down, Ruger is the most loyal dog of any that I have ever had. Most of the people on this board know exactly where I am coming from.