BC Boards

Maybe a noise issue

I haven't been on the treadmill (been so busy) in a while and decided last night that I wanted to get on. Well, Blaze was having no part of it. Everytime I would get on he would start whining like crazy and jumping towards it. So I thought that he wanted to have a run and put him on for about 10 minutes. But it didn't help at all. The whining/howling and jumping just continued. I plan on trying again tonight but wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions on how I may be able to get him to be still and quite long enough for me to get 30 minutes in.

I tried holding my ground and showing him that I meant business and that he needed to be still and quite, nope.

There is a bed in the room and I tried getting him to lay quietly up there, nope.

I also tried giving him a bone, nope to that too!

HELP! I am worried that I will go to get on and will lose my patience with him, and I really don't like to do that. I feel soo bad.

Toby did the exact same thing with our elliptical at work. I was upstairs with him one day and noticed that the 'gym' area had been set up and was ready to go. I stepped up on the elliptical, not for a big work out, but just to try it out and Toby went nuts. I have decided that when I want to work out Toby will be in his crate in my office. As far as getting the behaviour to stop I don't know. I have been successful in getting Toby to stop attacking the vacuum cleaner just by saying 'no' and stopping the behaviour. It used to take me a long time to vacuum but eventually he stopped. Now I just have to get him to stop trying to attack snow shovels and snow brushes. I see all these behaviours as sort of the same with a different catalyst. But then I don't know much so I may be wrong.

No I hadn't thought about crating him but I supposed I could try it. I just hate to do that.

Go for a walk outside? With him, of course :-)
A lot of the reason that we have a treadmill is for when it is raining or too hot for a long walk. And last night it was raining. Walking outside is just not always an option.

I have been successful in getting Toby to stop attacking the vacuum cleaner just by saying 'no' and stopping the behaviour
How in the heck did you manage that. Blaze is TERRIFIED of it. He will poop and pee all over himself.

No I hadn't thought about crating him but I supposed I could try it. I just hate to do that.

You're talking about crating for half an hour while you work out. It's not as if you're permanently ensconcing him in a crate. He's probably reacting to both noise and motion, and it's safer for both of you if he's not where he can hurt himself if he decides to go after the treadmill.

When I vacuum the dogs go outside, although I have only one with any interest in the vacuum itself. Still, when I'm trying to clean house (on those admittedly rare occasions), I don't want to be slowed down by having to repeatedly correct a dog. It's simpler to put them outside.

Likewise, when power tools are in operation, dogs go inside. The same dog who is fascinated by the vacuum is also overly interested in things like chain saws. Since it's not worth it to me to risk her life and limb trying to teach her not to go after the chain saw, she goes up when the tools come out.

J.

A lot of the reason that we have a treadmill is for when it is raining or too hot for a long walk. And last night it was raining. Walking outside is just not always an option.

Well, I solve the "too hot" problem by going (very) early morning and late evenings. Even here in Arizona, that is doable. The rain problem is simple; I put on a rain jacket and just prepare to get wet (soaked to the skin, in many cases).

Well, I solve the "too hot" problem by going (very) early morning and late evenings. Even here in Arizona, that is doable. The rain problem is simple; I put on a rain jacket and just prepare to get wet (soaked to the skin, in many cases).

We do go alot at night there are many nights that we will go for 3 plus miles and are happy.

We don't get just "rain" here, we get thunderstorms, and he is fine with them in the house. The boom is no big deal, but if we are outside and it is booming. He will yank me back to the house so fast it makes my head spin.

When daylight savings changes back I know that it won't be as big of a problem because I will have a few more hours of light but that doesn't help me for now.

We don't get just "rain" here, we get thunderstorms, and he is fine with them in the house. The boom is no big deal, but if we are outside and it is booming. He will yank me back to the house so fast it makes my head spin.

Late summer rains are generally thunderstorms here and I found that Senneca is much less sensitive to thunder after being out while it rumbles and bangs. She still comes to us for comfort when she's indoors, but is OK while she's out. Each dog is different.

Poco did this with the eliptical. He would bark, lunge, and nip. It seemed to me that he was trying to control me and get me off of the machine because the movement and the noise was just too much. I refused to get off the machine ever until he was quiet (even if it was for a few seconds) and I continually corrected him as I would pedal it slowly. After about a week of this I am now free to use the eliptical. If you get off to put him in another room or quite him-- he wins. I do not know if this will work for you- it sounds like he has some serious fear issues with the vacume- but it never hurts to try.

The first time I tried to run on the treadmill, Pip Squeak decided to hop on and join me :D . It was a little exciting trying to jump over the flying dog and not fall off the treadmill myself at 6 miles an hour. Note to anybody starting an exercise program - for your health and safety, introduce the dog to exercise equipment in a controlled manner! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I understand that sometimes it is easier/nicer/more convenient/whatever to get on the treadmill and so the dogs either get told to GO LIE DOWN or I just shut the door and leave them on the other side of it. The sight of me running (which I usually do when they can join me too) and the noise of the machine are obviously very stimulating but they have all gotten over it within a couple of sessions. They get plenty of exercise themselves and I have a hard enough time running for 30 minutes myself that I don't need to be worrying about them too.

Lisa

I finally broke down and got a treadmill two weeks ago. I hate walking in the summer. Its too hot and humid. When Ruger is upstairs and I am walking or jogging the only thing he is interested in is a frisbee toss. The only thing I have seen that kind of freaked him lately was a motorcycle. I can remember one of the first days I got him and we went for a walk. He was freaked out when we got near a bunch of kids playing basketball. Those days are long gone. Today he would want to join them in the fun.