BC Boards

Reputable Breeder in Alberta?

I am just curious if anyone has any reccomendations as for a bc breeder in Alberta? I would love to get another border collie and I would prefer to get a rescue, but currently Daisy is not down with most adult dogs. We will be taking some classes to help this problem, but it might not help 100% and I wouldn't want to put either dog through that sort of stress, so a puppy is the best option right now. We aren't in a huge rush, we are looking for within the next year or so, after we buy a house, so I figure that will give us plenty of time to find the proper people with the right dog! My ultimate goal is to have a great dog I can compete in agility with and Daisy, bless her heart, will never go through a tunnel i'm afraid! She'll be our house dog!

I know the general things to look for when it comes to looking at breeders and I know the questions I should be asked and which I should ask myself, but when it comes to looking for the right Border Collie is there anything specific I should be looking for or asking?

My bf is from a small town just outside Calgary, so we will be going there to check out the stockdog trials durring the cattle sales and I will try and poke my nose around the one in Calgary if I can. I am going to keep track of the stockdog trials and go to as many as I can in my area. Is this a good place to start looking?

Finaly, does anyone have leads to a good breeder in Alberta?

Any tips or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

Julie

Thanks for that link. I will look them up. I thought I had read that on your site about not adopting to places you can't see. Which in my opinion is very responsible and I think more shelters should do that! But that is why I kind of pushed adopting to the side, I guess I didn't google something right on my searches for AB rescues... you're site kept comming up and thought I would be SOL!

There are many rescues around the Calgary area. Here are a couple of links. Just over christmas I fostered a coupleof BC pups for misty creek dog rescue.

http://www.adoptananimal.ca/

http://www.mistycreekdogrescue.com/dogs.php

Unfortunetly there are many people breeding BC's without knowing anything about the breed. So please do your reasearch. Going to trials and talking to handlers is a good idea.

Maybe see you out there.

Louanne

I'd consider Elvin Kopp who is also in Alberta, but I don't have a website or email contact. I could possibly get one for you.

I'd go the rescue route if I were you, though, for anything but a dedicated stockdog. I'd go to Scott or Elvin for a working-bred pup for farm/ranch work or a trial prospect.

Thanks for the rescue links guys! I spent a good couple days trying to find rescues in the area, and aside from CHS and ARF I really had no luck. I volunteer for ARF so I know they rarely get bc pups.

Just as an FYI I am 100% into adopting a puppy and I am well aware that many o' farmer just happens to have a litter, (which is how I got my Daisy) and since I would want a sports/companion dog not a working dog this would clearly be the best option. Although having some livestock is something I will do one day, it's not in my immediate future. I am still gonna go to as many trials as I can manage, they are a lot of fun to watch either way!

julie

FYI, several of the shelters in Southern Alberta are listed with petfinder and often have BCs come in. If you don't mind the drive it's worthwhile also to check out. I think a lot of the farms and ranches still don't bother spaying/neutering so they just drop off the litter at the shelter, that's how I got my Chloe. They will often have them listed as mixes but I'm sure they are more purebred than not.

The Brooks animal shelter and the Medicine Hat one always seem to have BCs there.

FYI, several of the shelters in Southern Alberta are listed with petfinder and often have BCs come in. If you don't mind the drive it's worthwhile also to check out. I think a lot of the farms and ranches still don't bother spaying/neutering so they just drop off the litter at the shelter, that's how I got my Chloe. They will often have them listed as mixes but I'm sure they are more purebred than not.

The Brooks animal shelter and the Medicine Hat one always seem to have BCs there.

No, I wouldn't mind the drive at all. I should keep that in mind. I've browsed on petfinder, but it's a hit and miss situation. But I will definately see what I can find on the shelters in Brooks and Medicine Hat! We want to wait until we've bought our house, but if the situation came up it wouldn't kill us, that's for sure.

Thanks!