BC Boards

Eau de Border Collie?

River has the nastiest, fishiest doggie breath EVER. It will knock you OVER! The vet says it's just dog breath and not something growing in there. I even had her teeth cleaned (she's 2) and that didn't work. I don't let her lick me anymore :rolleyes:

Coat-wise, she doesn't smell as long as she doesn't play in the organic dirt in the back part of my property. I only bathe when the dogs get dirty/stinky from playing in things that do that to dogs. None of them smell dog-like unless they are damp.

River has the nastiest, fishiest doggie breath EVER. It will knock you OVER! The vet says it's just dog breath and not something growing in there. I even had her teeth cleaned (she's 2) and that didn't work. I don't let her lick me anymore :rolleyes:

Does she have allergies? Check her anal sacs, that is often the cause of terrible fishy breath.

I have never bathed either of my dogs - not once. They got hosed down if they come in muddy, and umm, that's it. They do a lot of swimming though. They never smell doggy.

I've said before though that I love the smell of the inside of their ears. Just love it. DH prefers the pads.

I have never bathed either of my dogs - not once. They got hosed down if they come in muddy, and umm, that's it. They do a lot of swimming though. They never smell doggy.

I've said before though that I love the smell of the inside of their ears. Just love it. DH prefers the pads.

Thanks, Dalesred! I'll ask, since so many here have mentioned just "hosing off" the dog if he's mucky....do any of you who do this have problems with the dog being afraid of/chasing/biting at the hose? (Sollers, when he has been bathed at home, gets rinsed with the hand-held shower hose, and sometimes seems nervous about it or tries to chase the water stream.)

And, BTW, Dalesred, hello from waaay over here....my husband is from Whitby, originally.

Christine

I sniff Polly so much that my husband threatens a restraining order :rolleyes: She smells like nature to me :D I have never noticed a bad odor.

I use a bucket bath for Polly sometimes--we've had so much rain that the mud has been endless. This might be helpful for those pups who fight the hose:

I put a hot bucket of water in the garage before we leave--gives a good temp as we are only gone for about 40 minutes for her play. I swoop the water from the bucket with a cloth to just the muddy areas. I stand and start her in front of me to do her front, then I move her between my legs to get the back areas. I then throw a big towel over her and squeeze and pat her dry--she loves this part. I re-use the cloth and towel to save on laundry. I am always so pleased at how clean this gets her with so little fuss. On mild days I do this on the driveway or deck.

Charlene

I don't find Quynn ever carries an offensive odor, save for when he's wet or found something delightful to roll in. I actually think he smells great! He has a sort of mildly sweet smelling, soft coat. I love to bury my face in his ruff and simply inhale. I have yet to meet a smelly BC, at that, but I know exactly what you mean when you refer to that "houndy" smell - I find it rather common in labs.

Neither my border collie or Labrador smell. If i really get nitty gritty and smell both of them close-up i'd have to say my border collie smells a bit more than the labrador...But then my BC is a big fan of rolling in nice fresh heaps of poop which the cows leave nice and fresh in the morning in the fields near us..(Living-in the countryside does have its downsides! lol)

• 4 months later...

Hi there all!

I am and have been a border collie fanatic since I was about 6 months old when my family got a "mutt" at Hobby Caterers in Beverly, Ma in 1961. We just thought he was a mutt until the cows in the field next to our summer home in Vermont got out and Tippy herded them back into through the broken fence and barked until help came. My mom remembers seeing the dog practically jumping on the backs of the cows to get to the lead one!

I now am the proud "person" of a border collie mix, Inde. I call him Inde because he was the most "independent" out of the rest of his litter mates. His mom, my other dog, Elsa, is a pitbull cross. Don't ask me what I was thinking letting her mate with my mom's dog, Lucas, a purebred descendant of Cap. (Whiston's Cap?) Because now I have an obsessive/compulsive with a violent streak!

Anyhow, that is not why I am replying to this post. I am replying to see if in fact I have got it right. Inde, after he has been swimming (a couple of days after) gets a sickly sweet doggy smell around his collar. He wears a nylon woven one and I am gathering from the board that that could be the cause. In the past, Nature's Miracle has worked well, but i am thinking of perhaps trying a leather collar to see if that fixes the smell.

Otherwise, someone mentioned the "smell behind the ears"...and I have to agree. I love that deep woodsy smell and it just makes me love my boy so much more.

Thanks for all of your great posts and toss me a bone as to whether I am on the right track with all this.

Will K.

post-8923-1213908908_thumb.jpg

Mine only smell like cow pies (and so does the truck, the house, etc.), but that's a smell that's not offensive to me at all,

A

Well, normally Ollie doesn't smell, except for popcorn feet...but this morning he smelled like death and possum crap, which he discovered in the yard and rolled in, and then marched proudly inside to show off his new style. Hey dad, notice anything different? Lookin good...

Hi, all....

Keep in mind that Sollers is a mix BC/?Lab. He looks like 100% BC, except someone stuck Lab ears on his head. :rolleyes:

Sollers develops an, um, aroma, about 6 days post-bath. Not bad, necessarily, just very, very, very doggy. Our dearly departed guy didn't get stinky unless it had been months since a bath, +/- rolling in something icky outdoors. And he really only got the full tub and sanitary trim about 3x/year....he got brushed and feet wiped otherwise.

The only dogs I have ever known to get doggystinky so quick are hounds...with that lovely Eau de Oily Hounddog Coat smell. This is a bit different, but just as strong.

Do purebred BC's get stinky? Could it be food choice? We recently did a gradual change from Iams to Royal Canin (better), while we try to get to the one chain in town that sells Canidae....

It seems a bit excessive to bath him every other week....just wondering if the smell is usual.

It takes a LONG while for Liberty to stink (pure BC) but our Labranard (Lab/St. Bernard X) it's like...what's the point of even trying to get him to smell better...he literally stinks within a few days.

But Libby---she can go for months--indoors--without developing any noticable 'doggie' B.O.

Well, normally Ollie doesn't smell, except for popcorn feet...but this morning he smelled like death and possum crap, which he discovered in the yard and rolled in, and then marched proudly inside to show off his new style. Hey dad, notice anything different? Lookin good...

:rolleyes:

We had one of the regulars at the Farm today, working her little girl on the sheep. Of course, she (the dog) was totally clean and sparkly when she arrived - And immediately rolled in the first stink-pile she could find. :D