BC Boards

Structure Question

mbernard2424

FWIW: My first border collie had one extra vertebrae (as compared with other dogs in general). This was discovered when we were doing a series of xrays for a gastrointestinal problem. So it is not impossible to have an extra vertebrae.

--Billy

Arabian horses are said to have 1 less vertebrae than other breeds. Also 1 less rib. In the case of the Arabian, they have stronger backs so even though they are small horses, they can carry heavy loads because their backs are stronger. What would the purpose be for an extra vertebrae? There are other breeds of dog with longer than tall structure would they perhaps have an extra vertebrae also? Again I wonder what purpose this would serve. Guess we could all have our dogs x-rayed to answer this question..

My first border collie had one extra vertebrae (as compared with other dogs in general).

My aunt also has a rescue dog with a extra one but the dog is unsound (purbred, they know her breeding which isn't good and porbably explains her lameness, not the extra vertebrae - I'll find out what the vet had said though).

How many are they suppose to have? *runs to look at old xrays of Dice to see if she can count them*

Katelynn

• 2 weeks later...
I was told by someone very knowledgeable about BCs that it is ideal for a working-bred BC to be higher in the rump than in the shoulders and that BCs have an extra vertebra in their backbones because of this height difference. Anyone else heard this?

if every border collie had an extra vertebrae, that would be a significant enough difference in morphology to classify them in their own subspecies. perhaps they should be, anyway! :rolleyes:

but i suspect if a dog has an 'extra' vertebrae, it's a defect. maybe not a bad one though?