BC Boards

Turning tail

We have one young dog that is just starting, but seems to have a natural tail turn. It's not the standard sort of thing when sheep are coming on to the dog, its usually just on a flank with light sheep, and she seems to be trying to break out and get wider as fast as possible. On heavy sheep it doesn't happen, even when they face her off. We're hoping its a pup thing, lack of focus, and if we put her away and/or keep her on heavier sheep for a while she might outgrow it- what do you think?

I'm not sure what a "tail turn" is? If it is that she is turning on her hocks, good oh you are lucky. If it is her turning her back to the sheep when she flanks, not nearly so good.

Describe the movement a little more for me please.

Beverly

Unfortunately the latter- she'll spin away from the sheep as she changes direction rapidly with light sheep. I've seen lots of dogs turn tail under pressure from sheep or handler, but this one seems to do it out in the paddock just as a means of breaking out on her flanks (kicking off wider) with very light sheep, rather than in high pressure situations or on aggressive sheep, so I don't think the usual strengthening exercises will work. She's done it since a pup, running with other dogs.

I think I would need to see this before I could say for sure what it going on. If she is ok on heavy sheep and only doing it on light sheep I am puzzled. As you said this is usually an avoidance thing so....you have me puzzled. I wouldn't want to say anything that would prejudice you against your youngster without seeing what is happeniing. I'm afraid i sure don't have a cure for it.

Beverly

I think I would need to see this before I could say for sure what it going on. If she is ok on heavy sheep and only doing it on light sheep I am puzzled. As you said this is usually an avoidance thing so....you have me puzzled. I wouldn't want to say anything that would prejudice you against your youngster without seeing what is happeniing. I'm afraid i sure don't have a cure for it.

Beverly

I have a young dog (1.5) with a similar problem which presented itself early (and I think ingrained it) when working in a large field with fast light sheep bent on returning to set out. Now this dog reads sheep really well and thinks it is his job not to get the sheep to me, but prevent them from bolting back. In low pressure areas, the dog flanks so nicely and fetches and drives so pretty, but as soon as it thinks the sheep might have an idea *I* am out of the picture, and the dog runs deep into pressure and downs where it thinks it has control of the situation. I am trying to just rework the "down" (he's always had a good down EXCEPT when this happes) so I am still in control and he realizes he doesn't need to cover 9 zillion acres before he comes back in to work.

Sorry to pipe in, but it looks like the same kind of issue we share, to me.