BC Boards

Allergy prone dog and bagged food

BC-Liz

Hi,

I'm sure some of you have seen my questions concerning my friends rottie (maybe I should find her a rottie forum). But anyways poor Kato keeps building allergies to the bagged food he's on. They've been switching his food type almost every year. This is the progression, "started with Eukanuba....then discovered he was allergic to corn, then switched to chicken soup for the dog soul, which worked for a year, then he got allergic so we switched him to California Natural - fish and potato" and now their vet thinks he's developing an allergy to the California Natural.

I just suggested she ask the vet about a raw diet since I've seen a couple threads on here about the benefits of a raw die. But I'd also like to see if anyone has experience with a dog that's prone to allergies and what foods worked best for them. I know she needs to avoid fillers but I don't know much about the higher end dog foods. Oh and she wasn't keen on the idea of a raw diet b/c of the cost (any info on that could be greatly appreciated too).

Thanks for all your help!!

Here's a pic of Kato for sympathy reasons.

n1044461305_30021076_5127.jpg

Doesn't bother me, because this is an issue that affects a lot of BCs too. It's not as if you asked about Rottie problems in Schutzhund.

I find the best thing to do with an allergy dog is an elimination diet. Start with one item, usually cooked chicken, and go for a week. Then another item for a few days. Once you get 3 or 4 items you know are "safe" then you can mix them and know what you add is/is not the culprit.

I would have never found the allergies on one dog if I had started with different kinds of kibble. Turns out she was allergic to *rice*. Yep, rice. Find a dog food without that one.

Guest SweetJordan

What about treats? Has Kato been getting the same or different treats, food hand outs etc.? You have to be very careful w/ an elimination diet because even a small bit of something can cause a reaction. I realize you may have to ask your friend this, but this is something to factor in.

Come to think of it, they did just start him on these joint medication chewies. They're supposed to make his joints more supple for longer? I dunno. But ever since they started him on those chewies he's had REALLY bad gas (or so she tells me) and an ear infection (which is why her vet thinks he may be growing allergic to his food, he's had 2 ear infections in 3 months).

Hmmm...I'll ask if she's mentioned the chewies to her vet.

I would have never found the allergies on one dog if I had started with different kinds of kibble. Turns out she was allergic to *rice*. Yep, rice. Find a dog food without that one.

I ran into the same thing with my Lhasa, trying one high end holistic kibble after another. Even trying a couple prescription diets. Turns he too is allergic to rice and every kibble I tried had rice in it, except for a grain free kibble that had some meats he is allergic to. He is now on Azmira Lamb and Oatmeal, one of the two good quality kibble I could find that fit his stringent criteria. Quinn has IBD and does best on a pre-mix of oats, rye, and a other ingredients to which I add cooked turkey or beef and supplements.

And good point by SweetJordan about the treats. It is important to not to undo the efforts of finding the right diet with treats that could set off the allergies.