BC Boards
Guest jackieandryan

Every Vet Loves Science Diet

Guest jackieandryan

Every Vet I have visited always recommends Science Diet. And seeing as how they went to school for 8+ years, I always trusted their opinion. The more I read, the less I am sold on it.

I was thinking about switching to Canidae.

I have never switched dog foods before. Is there a good rule of thumb for switching? A guideline to follow? Mix the two foods 50/50 together?

Thanks,

Ryan

Oh, and if your dog is eating Canidae, which one does he/she like the best? Lamb or Chicken?

In my opinion, Science Diet is overpriced garbage - maybe it's not the worst dog food in the world, but the quality certainly doesn't warrant the price. I feed the chicken formula Canidae. I've never tried the lamb formula because my dogs do just fine on the chicken formula.

I believe that the rule of thumb on switching to a new food is starting out at 3/4 old food to 1/4 new food for a few days, then go 50-50 for a few days, then go 1/4 to 3/4. Of course, some dogs don't bat an eye at a food switch (I have one with an iron stomach) but it's always best to play it safe.

Ha, not ALL vets, at least not in my town. Finally, slowly my vet has "discovered" that SD is garbage.......... It has taken almost a year working there to "convince" him there are waaaay better choices. Especially now that people can get SD at Wally world and TSC . No way to compete there price wise. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, Science Diet is overpriced garbage - maybe it's not the worst dog food in the world, but the quality certainly doesn't warrant the price.

I agree its over-priced and not the ingredients I'd prefer for my dogs. And I think vets turn to it too often. However, I've had a couple of dogs who did extremely well on prescription diets for their particular medical conditions. Sometimes it really is the right choice. I'm all for doing whatever works best.

One the funniest (and saddest actually) stories about vets and Science Diet was a client of a friend. The dog was a tiny Yorkie with lots of allergies and horrible skin.

My friend educated the owner about food choices, and how selecting the right food could really help her dog. They switched the dog to EVO, and improvement was almost immediate.

But, just in case and because she's a good owner, she asked her vet about it. He said SD is good food. She persisted at that, asking if all the corn in it could be one of the sources of her dog's issues. The vet stopped, turned red and SCREAMED in her face:

"THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH CORN!!!! HORSES EAT CORN!!!!"

He lost a client that day. :rolleyes: So not necessary. And such stupid logic it makes one reel.